What If?

bruceleroy

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
If Brawl came out last year like it was supposed to, do you think it would've won Game of the Year? Ahead of Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Halo, or Orange Box?

I'd have to say it comes very close - SMG won a lot of awards as it was the best for Wii, and SSBB is now rated just as highly.

One friend of mine got Super Mario Galaxy and loved it. Another friend got it and hated it. His sister also played it and didn't like it.

Personally I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but SMG isn't universally-loved any more than SSBB is.

What's your point? No game is universally loved. Isn't this the exact same situation for Halo, Bioshock, CoD, Orange Box, etc? Even less of the general populace will find those appealing. I was a big fan of the old Counterstrike, but I hate every single shooter that's popular nowadays... do I have a point?

AutumnWind said:
What's your point? No game is universally loved.
My point is that SMG and SSBB don't have the universal-love that their cult following would suggest.

i didn't see wiichat turn crazy go nuts for SMG and it did for SSBB... i don't own either... don't want flamed :)

your thoughts?

No, I doubt Brawl would have got many game of the year awards. Fantastic though it may be, isn't really pushing the boundaries of gaming the way Mario Galaxy or Portal did.

I was responding to AutumnWind's comment about the two of them being rated just as highly.

SMG's cult following wasn't shown so much on the Wiichat boards as other review sites and such. Far more 9.5/10s and 10/10s than one would expect. The "Mario bump" I suppose, but the word from the trenches seems to paint a different picture.

I still want to get it though and see for myself.

I do think CoD4 and Bioshock, and *maybe* Halo would have still beaten SSBB. Its not revolutionary in any way like Bioshock was. Its a continuation of the same formula. I do agree that Smash and Mario are very much 'cult' games, whereas Halo is very main-stream. Even if you like it or hate it, you know what Halo is.

The L.S said:
I do think CoD4 and Bioshock, and *maybe* Halo would have still beaten SSBB. I do agree that Smash and Mario are very much 'cult' games, whereas Halo is very main-stream. Even if you like it or hate it, you know what Halo is.

Mario is a cult game now? :confused:

The L.S said:
I do think CoD4 and Bioshock, and *maybe* Halo would have still beaten SSBB. Its not revolutionary in any way like Bioshock was. Its a continuation of the same formula. I do agree that Smash and Mario are very much 'cult' games, whereas Halo is very main-stream. Even if you like it or hate it, you know what Halo is.
last line can be said for mario too. halo is a cult game but mario appeals to most

Napalmbrain said:
Mario is a cult game now? :confused:
Anything "Mario" get a lot of extra love just for the sake of "Mario" and Nintendo loyalty. Regardless of gameplay, graphics, etc.

It's like no one wants to publicly criticize a Mario game in front of their fellow Nintendo fans. He is the de-facto mascot of Nintendo.

Take Super Paper Mario. It got crazy reviews. I had high hopes when I bought it. I ended up hating that game with a passion. None of my friends have been able to even get into it.

Hearing other people talk seemed to back up the theory that, the less-public the voice, the more-willing they were to be honest about it. SMG seems to be a lot like that too, although I haven't gotten it yet. I still will, though, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Back