What is termed as "mainstream"?

Hochiminh

Banned
Nov 15, 2006
Wii Online Code
2880-7187-6708-3449
Here's my thought about what's mainstream and what's not.

I would consider mainstream as a band that has at least a few hits on the radio and is well known, such as:
-Incubus
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-STP
-Pearl Jam
-REM
-U2
-Fuel
-Seether
-Chevelle
-almost every 60's, 70's, and 80's band

I would consider bands that have hardly any hits but are known by quite a few people as a term I like to call semi-mainstream, such as:
-Mushroomhead
-Slipknot (they don't play radio hits much)
-In Flames
-Shadows Fall
-Thousand Foot Krutch
-From Zero
-Ra

I would consider bands that play next to zero radio hits and are not well known as not mainstream, such as:
-Drill
-Mad At Gravity
-Lifer
-Injected
-Vulgar Pigeons
-Nullset
-Sugarcoma
-and local bands

Of course, I'm not including country, hip-hop, or anything else because I don't listen to them, so counting those would be naive.

So what are your views on this? Agree/disagree. Hopefully no flaming.

mainstream is more of a rock/indy/punk term. the ones who sign record contracts with big production lables to me are considered mainstream

the ones that still do their concerts down in the basements of random peoples houses and burn their own CDs arent mainstream or "sell outs"

think dashboard confessional before they went all wierd and emo (they werent always like that!!!)

The_Loose_Cannon said:
mainstream is more of a rock/indy/punk term. the ones who sign record contracts with big production lables to me are considered mainstream

the ones that still do their concerts down in the basements of random peoples houses and burn their own CDs arent mainstream or "sell outs"

think dashboard confessional before they went all wierd and emo (they werent always like that!!!)
I still say Greenday. Sold out concerts, songs on the radio every 2 minutes. I'd also say Nickekback but oh well.....
I'd post the lyrics of animal but that'd be a gauranteed ban.

Major Tom said:
I still say Greenday. Sold out concerts, songs on the radio every 2 minutes. I'd also say Nickekback but oh well.....
I'd post the lyrics of animal but that'd be a gauranteed ban.

greenday was great until they made one popular song and played the hell out of it.

i hate that about record companies, they did it with NIN, hole, alice in chains, basically all the 90's grunge bands :(

nickleback was awesome up until i heard "photograph" everyday and i swear to god it drives me friggen mad!!! :incazzato:

Major Tom said:
Yeah. Photograph wasn't the best. My favorite Nickelback song is Animal.

neither was "if everyone cared" , "savin me" and "how you remind me" ugh i hate those songs!!!

but i did like "figure you out" :D and at one point i also liked "hero" and "far away" but now far away makes me go mad too! :mad5:

The_Loose_Cannon said:
neither was "if everyone cared" , "savin me" and "how you remind me" ugh i hate those songs!!!

but i did like "figure you out" :D and at one point i also liked "hero" and "far away" but now far away makes me go mad too! :mad5:
Interesting. Well I'll have to temporarily leave this discussion as I just got reaquainted with my lunch.......:( Good Night......

The_Loose_Cannon said:

Good views. Hey thanks for the replies!

mainstream is basically what everyone is listening to, like the most played on the radio

Urbandictonary says thus

Main•stream (mAn’strEm’), n., adj.

1) A genre in music and other forms of media that is often defined by widely-accepted and currently-popular standards, trends, and hypes that have been established by the media, typically resulting in the promotion of superficial traits.
My popular friends accept me because I'm hot and I like all the mainstream artists on MTV

Mainstream is the larger public, the masses, the big crowd. Things that are or become 'mainstream' are the things that currently sell the most and gain the most popularity.
Hip Hop has become mainstream and is being worn-out by the masses

A gigantic brainwashing cover that the media and the government uses to blindly mislead people into all going the same way. Mainstream should die. I hate people nowadays because they are all the same: Same trend, same bland as pigshit personalities, and same predjudice. Rap is known for influencing mainstream. So is Hip-Hop.
Mainstream should die.

My fave one

The_Loose_Cannon said:
mainstream is more of a rock/indy/punk term.
Incorrect. It's also a Hip-Hop term :] in hip-hop, mainstream is classed as artists who release singles/albums publically, such as Outkast and 50 Cent (god I hate him). But then there's those who are not mainstream, and are classed as Underground, such as Little Brother and J-Live (who I doubt almost anyone on this site has heard of :]) who don't have their music played on TV, and though they release albums and singles, they're not made as public - usually just to the people around the area in which they live. woopwoop.

Back