Why are the graphics in Mario Kart Wii so bad?

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
Seriously, they look quite bad. And I'm not alone in this opinion. The dudes over at IGN (including folks who have played it) have likewise stated that they are quite terrible. They honestly look worse than those on the GC version. How is that even possible? How can they be going backwards? They appear to be somewhere between those in the N64 version and those in the GC version.

Ouch.

LOL!

perhapses they concentrated more on the gameplay aspect than the graphics? I'm suer there's a reason as to why the games looks so shabby, but I think they'll make up for the visual shortcomings with the game content...i hope :scared:

When I saw a screenshot of Mario Kart I tought it was Double Dash on GC, sadly I found out it was Wii. But I thought it was just me :p

I also don't understand how they went backwards, but im still buying it when its released.

Do graphics really matter? Idc as long as the gameplay is good. Well as long as its not 8-bit graphics

Either way i guarantee people who complain about it will still buy it. I wanna try the motorcycles!

Last edited:
maybe they're working on the graphics side of it at the end?

which is really weird but whatever

i think as long as graphics are better than gamecube they dont matter to me,

this game if graphics indeed are worse than gamecube i will be dissapointed but still buy it,

I must admit it isn't what I expected it to be, but to say it's worst than the GC version is exaggerating, don't you think? Just look at both version screenshot and compare.. I think they're, at best, on pare. If you look at the map, which I think will be more important part in the racing game, it's pretty well done.
I'm still a little disappointed. But hopefully content makes up for it : ) 35 tracks~
While racing with twelve other player who cares if DK's arm is sort of blocky, you gotta push that pedal and drift!

I dont think its backwards from Double Dash, But its not even much of a leap forward. the picture is clearer but some of the shapes are awful.. could have done a better job of it thats for sure...

Maybe they rushed it out with the popularity.

large.jpg

1.jpg

mario-kart-wii-20071010082404344.jpg

Looks like a good idea that wasn't finnished.. Sad but still is gonna be a great game.

i'm actually hoping for a delay.

you know, to fix the nasty graphics and the effed up messaging system....

after all, i'll probably be too busy with a different online nintendo title :smilewinkgrin:

Keep in mind that Prime 3 looked pretty crappy when the first screen shots/videos were released...and it turned out to be the best-looking (in my opinion) game on the Wii.

Nintendo won't release a crappy-looking Mario Kart. It just won't happen. Everyone relax.

wezeles said:
I dont think its backwards from Double Dash, But its not even much of a leap forward. the picture is clearer but some of the shapes are awful.. could have done a better job of it thats for sure...

Maybe they rushed it out with the popularity.

large.jpg

1.jpg

mario-kart-wii-20071010082404344.jpg

Looks like a good idea that wasn't finnished.. Sad but still is gonna be a great game.

IMO, the graphics don't look as terrible as everyone is making them sound, and how dare can any1 even compare those graphics to N64

markrt64_screen004.jpg

smariokart6.jpg
<--- tell me those are the same as mario kart wii.
but nevertheless im still buying this game, gameplay will be great :ciappa:

yeah dont look at the screenshots, look at the videos on youtube, the graphics look pretty nice.

The side-by-side pics (thanks for posting those!) pretty much put a big "case closed" stamp on this subject as far as I'm concerned. And as also pointed out the graphics can even be fine tuned a bit more prior to release, but I think they look fine so far.

This constant chatter about Wii's inferior graphics really gets on my nerves. Those of us who prefer the Wii game play style could care LESS and most games on this first gen Wii can not be made better by holding back release dates to tweak anyways - the first Wii on the market is what it is and for what it cost, I think it's right on track.

Think of part of your Wii purchase price as encouraging Nintendo and the entire gaming industry towards more of a full-body "virtual reality" gaming style and you'll realize every penny was well spent and that it's the game playing style that matters in this and all Wii game titles. Nintendo's first party releases tend to have spectacular mechanics, so I'm not concerned one bit that this game will be worth getting.

I dont really see why you people are complaining. maybe its just me, but those graphics look pretty good. They are a little plain I could care less. I believe that the main focus here is the gameplay.

Back