Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Why are the graphics in Mario Kart Wii so bad?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by Atomheart, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Atomheart

Atomheart M'bating to Z Suit Samus

Seriously, they look quite bad. And I'm not alone in this opinion. The dudes over at IGN (including folks who have played it) have likewise stated that they are quite terrible. They honestly look worse than those on the GC version. How is that even possible? How can they be going backwards? They appear to be somewhere between those in the N64 version and those in the GC version.

Ouch.

LOL!

2. Extra Life Mushroom

Extra Life Mushroom Just That Great

Wii Friend Code: 3210-5733-2914-1432
    3210-5733-2914-1432
    perhapses they concentrated more on the gameplay aspect than the graphics? I'm suer there's a reason as to why the games looks so shabby, but I think they'll make up for the visual shortcomings with the game content...i hope :scared:

3. T3kNi9e

T3kNi9e Conquistador

When I saw a screenshot of Mario Kart I tought it was Double Dash on GC, sadly I found out it was Wii. But I thought it was just me :p

I also don't understand how they went backwards, but im still buying it when its released.

4. Jcool813

Jcool813 Jrock813

Do graphics really matter? Idc as long as the gameplay is good. Well as long as its not 8-bit graphics

Either way i guarantee people who complain about it will still buy it. I wanna try the motorcycles!

#4 Jcool813, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. SantaClaws

SantaClaws Go Win a Darwin Award

Wii Friend Code: 7210-0959-6535-8841
    7210-0959-6535-8841
    maybe they're working on the graphics side of it at the end?

which is really weird but whatever

6. daviduk200

daviduk200 The XBOX 360 Guy

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    i think as long as graphics are better than gamecube they dont matter to me,

this game if graphics indeed are worse than gamecube i will be dissapointed but still buy it,

7. Douten

Douten WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8244-2285-2713-6668
    8244-2285-2713-6668
    I must admit it isn't what I expected it to be, but to say it's worst than the GC version is exaggerating, don't you think? Just look at both version screenshot and compare.. I think they're, at best, on pare. If you look at the map, which I think will be more important part in the racing game, it's pretty well done.
    I'm still a little disappointed. But hopefully content makes up for it : ) 35 tracks~
    While racing with twelve other player who cares if DK's arm is sort of blocky, you gotta push that pedal and drift!

8. JAKE196

JAKE196 Cogito Ergo Sum

The graphics do look pretty meh. . . .

I think it's rather pathetic Nintendo isn't even trying to get remotely close to the graphics on the other consoles.

9. wezeles

wezeles Guru of everything Ninty

Wii Friend Code: 6074-3351-1151-1701
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    I dont think its backwards from Double Dash, But its not even much of a leap forward. the picture is clearer but some of the shapes are awful.. could have done a better job of it thats for sure...

Maybe they rushed it out with the popularity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like a good idea that wasn't finnished.. Sad but still is gonna be a great game.

10. AoWFraggit

AoWFraggit WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8480-0209-2306-3955
    8480-0209-2306-3955
    i'm actually hoping for a delay.

you know, to fix the nasty graphics and the effed up messaging system....

after all, i'll probably be too busy with a different online nintendo title :smilewinkgrin:

11. CrowTRobot

CrowTRobot Blades Of Steel

Keep in mind that Prime 3 looked pretty crappy when the first screen shots/videos were released...and it turned out to be the best-looking (in my opinion) game on the Wii.

Nintendo won't release a crappy-looking Mario Kart. It just won't happen. Everyone relax.

12. C1audio

C1audio Corruptied Wii Member

Wii Friend Code: 2975-1046-6635-6662
    2975-1046-6635-6662
    IMO, the graphics don't look as terrible as everyone is making them sound, and how dare can any1 even compare those graphics to N64

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] <--- tell me those are the same as mario kart wii.
    but nevertheless im still buying this game, gameplay will be great :ciappa:

13. vashivihan

vashivihan Let There Be Rock

Wii Friend Code: 8799-9801-1544-7718
    8799-9801-1544-7718
    yeah dont look at the screenshots, look at the videos on youtube, the graphics look pretty nice.

14. Deedee

Deedee WiiChat Member

The side-by-side pics (thanks for posting those!) pretty much put a big "case closed" stamp on this subject as far as I'm concerned. And as also pointed out the graphics can even be fine tuned a bit more prior to release, but I think they look fine so far.

This constant chatter about Wii's inferior graphics really gets on my nerves. Those of us who prefer the Wii game play style could care LESS and most games on this first gen Wii can not be made better by holding back release dates to tweak anyways - the first Wii on the market is what it is and for what it cost, I think it's right on track.

Think of part of your Wii purchase price as encouraging Nintendo and the entire gaming industry towards more of a full-body "virtual reality" gaming style and you'll realize every penny was well spent and that it's the game playing style that matters in this and all Wii game titles. Nintendo's first party releases tend to have spectacular mechanics, so I'm not concerned one bit that this game will be worth getting.

15. thas

thas Canadian/Gamer for life

Wii Friend Code: 4614-1471-6665-4276
    4614-1471-6665-4276
    I dont really see why you people are complaining. maybe its just me, but those graphics look pretty good. They are a little plain I could care less. I believe that the main focus here is the gameplay.

16. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Graphics in the game bad? No. Great looking visuals, well no.

But the Characters and Karts look pretty nice, most of them anyways.
    And they are screens as well, it could look better in game, who knows.

And yes, it hasn't been delayed once, at least no worthy delays.
    So if there is a delay, thats good. More time to fix things, if not oh well. It should still sell pretty well.

17. Atomheart

Atomheart M'bating to Z Suit Samus

Actually, the graphics in those screenshots aren't that bad. I'd say those are even acceptable (although no where near the potential of the Wii). Those are no doubt high def graphics (or as best as the Wii can do). I've seen some screenshots that depict pretty terrible graphics, such as that one in the Mario Kart Battle thread.

Still, why can't we have BOTH great graphics AND great gameplay. 360 owners get it...

#17 Atomheart, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  18. JCpackers05

JCpackers05 NiNtEnDoFrEakJMC

graphics really dont matter to me at all. this games gonna be great. and thats all that matters.

19. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

bitching out under nintendo's brainwashing philosophy is gonna be the thing that gets you a wii2 with xbox 1 visuals.

20. Transfixed

Transfixed WiiChat Member

EXACTLY. When games are developed, the first thing they focus on is gameplay. Adjusting the difficulty, designing the levels, working out bugs etc...
    Then, when all of that is taken care of, they use ALL of their remaining time polishing the game up the best that they can before it has to go into physical production.

That's why, as CrowTRobot said, Metroid looked significantly better in the end than it did upon first being revealed. Though I bet the gameplay was virtually identical. They put the luxury changes at the end of production because they're less important.
    MarioKart will look great, I assure you. Especially since it's a first party Nintendo game, and what was the last BAD-LOOKING one of those?!
    Super Mario Galaxy had beautiful graphics, this surely will too.
    Besides, those screen shots don't even look that bad, they look like they were taken from a low-resolution tv or something, you can definitely see some evidence of it being a poor display rather than the in-game graphics themselves.
    It's gonna be awesome, just wait.