Why are the graphics in Mario Kart Wii so bad?

Nintendo isn't about graphics! Plan and simple. I dont know how long its going to take peolple to figure it out. if you want hi-def graphics go somewhere else. I personaly love nintendo graphics, there original and the games have content. If you want great graphics get a graphics card and computer games.

Sovieto said:
bitching out under nintendo's brainwashing philosophy is gonna be the thing that gets you a wii2 with xbox 1 visuals.

FAIL.

and they do look bad, the textures IMO but it still got time before it comes out to be improved. and no deley!!

Atomheart said:
Since when did the physical controls represent the unitary concept underlying the elusive "gameplay"? To me, the story, internal mechanics of the game, etc. are equally important, if not much more so, to the physical controls. The physical controls can greatly add to the immersiveness. However, few, if any, Wii games to date have implemented this successfully.

Even though the 360 hasn't added anything revolutionary to the physical controls, the myriad of other facets that coalesce to form "gameplay" have proved to be very...well...amazing in many 360 games (as in at least a few Wii games).

To say that the physical controls are what make or break the gameplay of a game would imply that SSBB is a pretty ho-hum game, considering it uses the same controls as its last generation predecessor. So if it's not OK for 360 games to use traditional controls, it must not be for SSBB either, right?

I guess you could tie the gameplay into a little ball and include Story and the Game mechanics as "gameplay" but it would be more for your own view than a accurate industry description.

The term Gameplay has been used to include control skeme's and the game mechanics in the gaming industry. Again something the Wii is more known for then the 360. Although a few games on the 360 have had some breakthrough mechanics, the majority of titles being sequals its still nothing really new to the industry and is just improvements on older ideas at best.

The story is just that the story, although it might add to how intrested you are in a game it has no influence on how the game is played, just your view of the game itself. It is not part of the game mechanics or gameplay. Thats why when you read a review they would seperate these features. "The story was great but the gameplay needed to be improved" ect. ect.

If your going to argue Wii owners on "gameplay" your going to have to clarify that you personally mean the story line and game mechanics and not control skeme's. Obviously they are in the mindset of the control skeme and in some cases mechanics.
Still on your side of this I would say most these "hit" Nitnendo titles are no better than 360 sequals mechanics wise. Same thing just updated, just the way you do it has changed with control skeme tada improved gameplay :lol:

Although SSBB will be great im sure, im not looking at it as a groundbreaking game, it is just an updated version of a game. Looks to be very well updated though.

Just so you know SSBB uses a combination of classic,gamecube, wiimote, wii-nunchuck combo for it's control skemes. So even though it may lack any ground breaking mechanics being much like its predecessor, it offers enough control skemes to make the "gameplay" appeal to just about anyone. Same goes for Mario Kart.
So even if you are like some who want to keep your button mashing skills you can, or you can try 3 other ways of playing a game.
Would be nice if 360 gave you these kind of options wouldn't it?

Keep in mind there are now 4 more racers on screen at once, and those bikes are probably more detailed than the karts.
Perhaps tehre are some uber-effects that take advantage of the Wii's graphical (under)power-ness?.....This I doubt.

Sovieto said:
bitching out under nintendo's brainwashing philosophy is gonna be the thing that gets you a wii2 with xbox 1 visuals.

Bitching out? i just don't care and i agree with their philosophy.

Think of it like this:

Good looking game and Excellent Gameplay Vs. Excellent Graphics and Good Gameplay

Yer but Jcool.....with Nintendo's expertise, there is no reason why we (Wii?)couldnt of had excellent graphics AND excellent games.... and with better graphics, maybe other companies would take notice, and stop acting as if Wii is a joke...
Games designers have dreams and ideas, and to make games as real-life as possible, with crazy technology and engines are just some of them, without Wii, theyre limited to making games like they did 7yrs ago...so you can see how the Wii just wouldnt seem as fun to spend a year on making a game...
No boundaries to push except controller-wise.
Heres hoping Wii2 slaughters the comp in the graphics department, whilst making a controller that no one can even imagine.

Deanis said:
Yer but Jcool.....with Nintendo's expertise, there is no reason why we (Wii?)couldnt of had excellent graphics AND excellent games.... and with better graphics, maybe other companies would take notice, and stop acting as if Wii is a joke...
Games designers have dreams and ideas, and to make games as real-life as possible, with crazy technology and engines are just some of them, without Wii, theyre limited to making games like they did 7yrs ago...so you can see how the Wii just wouldnt seem as fun to spend a year on making a game...
No boundaries to push except controller-wise.
Heres hoping Wii2 slaughters the comp in the graphics department, whilst making a controller that no one can even imagine.
Nintendo wanted to bring people who have never gamed before, into gaming. To do this, they thought of the new and intuitive Wii remote.
They wanted to make this console look like a console that anyone could pick up, but they thought, what non-gamer would buy this video game console, not even knowing if it was worth it, at a high price?
Thier solution to this was to make the console less powerful so they could lower the price, but they didn't worry about it because they were confident that the Wii mote would provide great gameplay.
Thus, their philosopy, gameplay over graphics, came into motion.

Atomheart said:
Sure, the game will still sell like hotcakes, regardless of the graphics.

However, what happened to striving for perfection and video games as an art form?

I thought that was what the Big N was about (at least the former point)?

Sure the game will still be fun, but why sell yourself short? Why slack off on one of the biggest first party titles that will ever hit the Wii?
That's what the Big N is about, entertaining games. Games that will be fun, not necessarily perfect.

thats my beef with nintendo, im all for great game play, but thats no reason to alck 100 percent on the graphics, especially on a system that is capable of great things./

iOwnage said:
Thus, their philosopy, gameplay over graphics, came into motion.

And their philosophy is successful. Say what you want but the wii is winning the console war and are still hard to get.

But honestly if graphics stop you from buying this game idk what to say.

they cant make great gameplay and graphics?????! yea they can, SSBB is a prime example, why cant they put that much effort into every game, most games look like a 4 year old was in charge.

Reading over this there are a lot of good arguments for either way.....the thread has kinda turned away from Mario Kart and gotten into this whole argument again, which is a fun one to talk about.

HERE I GO!

I see what you are all saying. The Nintendo Wii was not produced to be a graphics heavy machine. It was made for the target demographic of younger, family oriented gamers, long time Nintendo fans, and non hardcore gamers. But now that 2008 has rolled around we're seeing the first step into Nintendo's REAL revolution(haha pre-wii pun). Now that the games are expanding to more violent T and M rated games with dark story lines, hideous demon enemies and some adult themes (murder mystery anyone?) I feel like Nintendo can take their next generations console further.

They seem to have very well accomplished what they set out to do with the Wii, and that was to grab up those demographics that didn' want to spend the amount of money for a super powerful gaming sytem they would probably not play too often. So where does Nintendo go from there?

A more technologically advanced system. They grabbed the worlds attention and showed us it was ok to play videogames against our aunts and uncle and little brothers all at teh same time. SO now that they have that theory down....they can make it look good. People are hooked on the Wii, I'd be willing to bet those people who bought the Wii because it was the cheapest most casual system out, are now gonna be willing to pay a little more for a system that can actually crank out some quality visuals. Why? Because they already love the Wii. They realize how fun it is. Hell with the downfall of analouge TV signals more and more homes are getting HDTVs every day. So why wouldn't Nintendo want to make a more graphically capable system.

The novelty of the Wii is going to fade by the next console wars....it worked this time around but people are gonna see past it next time. And developers are going to realize that. And they are going to cut back production of Wii games because they are not going to be able to express their work properly on the "Wii2" poor graphics.

Thanks for reading

It doesn't really need to work a second time. First HDTV is still catching on. Sure more and more people buy them but at best its about 10% of the market right now in homes, and it won't be a major influence in home electronics purchases for a few years still.
So Nintendo sticking with the SD/ED was really a good call because the only legit complaints are going to come from the minority of "videophiles" that have HDTV and are obssesed with it already. The bennefit of the lower price and the appeal of the Wii-mote controls has made the Wii the fastest selling game console in History.
They can toss HD graphics into the Wii2 the next round "about 2012" when HDTV acctually will influence the majority of consumers purchases. Currently the people who think they are "elite" being in the minority with HD, I am suprised they are getting as much support as the are, Normally you have to suffer with very little support in the first years of a format change. They should be happy with what they have out so far for such a new technology.
By the Time Wii2 comes around HD tech will be cheep and I'm sure Nintendo will include it and yet again pop out the cheepest console on the market as they have the last 25 years.

As for the demographic being young kids and family is way off base. Just because the Wii appeals to more than 16-24 year olds doesn't make it a kiddy system. We have seen the numbers and its sales are evenly split from 5-100 year olds its amazing. Alot of them being in the hands of 360/ps3 owners aswell in the 16-24 group.
It honestly was about time the market was opened up to more than the "elite" and games started to be marketed twards everyone instead of the small group of what you and alot of other people see as "hardcore gamers". There are plenty of "hardcore" that own a Nintendo,Xbox,PS console. But just because you have an HD system this round doesn't make you a "hardcore gamer" Hardcore gamers are involved in every aspect of gaming from the kiddy action games to the addicting RPG,and FPS games, and they range on all consoles from Atari to the PS3.
It isn't one system that makes you hardcore but spending plenty of time and money in ever aspect of gaming. If you think by simply owning a PS3 or 360 makes you hardcore your mistaken.
Granted there may be more "hardcore" on other systems then Nintendo's Wii, but thats just because Nintendo is trying to draw in a new audience to gaming. In the end thats good for everyone who enjoys gaming.

The more people involved, the more money is invested, the more money is invested the more games/consoles are produced, the more games/consoles are produced the more options we get as a whole for gaming. It's a win win situation for everyone. No matter what place you favorite console is in.

Last edited:
Back