Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

why is there still a shortage of Wii consoles in the US?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by SoupCamera, Mar 12, 2007.

1. SoupCamera

SoupCamera WiiChat Member

I haven't visited this forum in a few months...

I can't believe there's still a shortage of Wii consoles in the US. I got mine on launch day and it has been played really hard, thanks to my friends and neighbors. None of them seem to be able to but it. I don't know how many of them have offered to buy mine, but obviously my answer was always no......

Can anyone give me some logical reasons for the shortage?

Thanks! :)

2. Joe

Joe Banned

Wii Friend Code: 5856-5939-3035-0479
    5856-5939-3035-0479
    Well its probably beause the Wii is amazing.....and everyone wants one.....so Nintendo is having trouble with the amount of Wiis here in the US.....
    But good for Nintendo

3. Nintendo_Addict

Nintendo_Addict WiiChat Member

Yeah i got mine for Christmas and i love it but i still need to get a wii points card and a classic controller for the vc.

4. Flagel

Flagel Soul of highest Calibur

Wii Friend Code: 4883-9225-1818-3903
    4883-9225-1818-3903
    Well a serious answer would be that they are in high demand.
    A non-serious answer would be that pirates keep stealing the shipments so they can play warioware.

5. Joshieca

Joshieca Oh yeah, its me!

Economics 101 - Click here to learn more!

....just be thankful that you can still buy the units at retail for $249 when you can find them.

6. fisher5499

fisher5499 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7560-8769-8380-3820
    7560-8769-8380-3820
    Good question, especially since in asia and other places, they seem to be all over. I wonder why they don't send more here?

7. blogman54

blogman54 Wiifan54

I am waiting till this summer to get mine only because they will have more games I want by than also maybe I won't have to buy the" bundle"

8. ARav989

ARav989 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 6597-7058-7157-6973
    6597-7058-7157-6973
    I think its all about the high demand for them. Everyone wants one lol. heres an example, in my area there is a very, very low demand for PS3's so you can walk right in the local WalMart and pick up some (not like anyones going to lol). Although, in my area the Wii is so hard to find that you need to go to other parts of the state to even get a shot at one.

9. Joe

Joe Banned

Wii Friend Code: 5856-5939-3035-0479
    5856-5939-3035-0479
    Dude.....your lucky.....my town is just all about other crap!
    In Parker CO (my town...please dont hunt me down) all the girls are as bitchy and spoiled (including most guys which is pretty sad) as they can get...worst of all they purposely use this squeaky voice because they think its cute! Then its flooded with all these damn skaterish emo bastards!!! Wheres the gamers?! :sad: No one in my town is a gamer...or they just play a game or two every once in awhile and forget about it......:frown2: :frown2: :frown2:Ive talked to everyone in my school....no person is a gamer....**** PARKER
    I know its a bit off subject...but I just needed to say something...:lol:

My Point....youll be able to find a Wii in my town! So your still looking head over here!

10. sagema

sagema 3D Artist

Wii Friend Code: 4496-9128-1304-3457
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Despite all the Sony fans bashing the Wii, it's outselling them almost 10:1 now. It should be a reminder to Sony that the most economic system wins. Affordable to the consumer and game developers. When you have $30 million budgets for PS3 games and $5 million for the Wii, what would you choose as risk? Also the PS3 crowd is currently the smallest market. More developers are picking the 360 and Wii.

The Wii will be in demand all this year non stop.

11. Jorge

Jorge Television Consultant

Wii Friend Code: 0554-7647-3242-2709
    0554-7647-3242-2709
    because for the past 3-4 months it was nearly impossible to find a wii or a ds on a shelf in any store, in my area at least. nintendo only focused on one of them at a time.

12. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

If they flood the market with the wiis, their product will go down in demand and value.

Sadly its true. A lot of people have shown interest in the wii because its hard to obtain. People want whats hard to obtain and the fewer there are gives the illusion of a greater demand.

Its merely marketing tactics by nintendo to keep interst in there system untill they can get more of their 3rd party games on the market as well as some other titles.

btw it doesnt help that there are people who have no job and just go around buying up all the wiis they can so they can resell them on ebay for way more than the recommended retail price.

13. smuPoker

smuPoker WiiChat Member

Demand > Supply. It's quite simple really.

14. surfinrach90

surfinrach90 I GOT A JAR OF DIRT.

I think a lot of stores OVER pre-ordered if you get me. I know that this is the case around by me.

For example: A store took say 200 pre-orders of the console and on launch day the only got like 100. So each delivery they get are still going to the people who pre-ordered.

Something like that anyway ya know. So this slowed things down for a while..it should pick up soon..I actually think there's going to be as surge of them very soon, it's been quiet for a while their going to boom onto the shelves.

15. Marc

Marc SuperWii

Wii Friend Code: 4103-3191-5795-3127
    4103-3191-5795-3127
    Everywhere in UK sold out and pre orders aren't currently being taken. It was exactly the same with the PSP before Christmas.

16. Shiftfallout

Shiftfallout shiftfallout.com

less supply drives up the demand. beautiful and yet annoying marketing tactics.

17. Darth_Zant

Darth_Zant WiiChat Member

They aren't on the shelves, simply because of what has been echoed in nearly every response. There are far too many people who want one, so they actually ARE coming in almost weekly, it's just that they LITERALLY cannot stay on the shelves for more than a half an hour. But as ARav989 said you can get a PS3 any minute of the day.

The other day I was at Best Buy to do some browsing and they had moved their stock of 13 PS3s from the shelves to RIGHT IN FRONT of the doors, in the hopes that people will walk in and want to buy one. Lol, I doubt that anyone will though.

I wonder if sony's budget is going to get stretched thin this fiscal year, making so many blu-ray players AND ps3's and hardly selling much of either because of the prices. I can't imagine their hardware manufacturing costs. The blu-ray players i looked at were like $1,100! Outrageous.

18. peterose

peterose WiiChat Member

one major problem is that out of the ~5 million sold, 2 million are unplayed and unopened in the basement of those jackarse ebayers trying to make 60 bucks..

considering they camp these stores 50 hours a week you would think they could just get a job and make more, but w/e

19. Nfanboy

Nfanboy Mario Fanatic

Nintendo tries their hardest but they just can't keep up with the demand! That's how awsome Wii is!

20. Sketch Turner

Sketch Turner 100 proof straight Sketch

In a place above a place that's below a place but