Why not combine all the generations into one game?

naisatoh

MS3
May 26, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
Wii Online Code
6760-4137-2833-7556
I've been a little out of the loop ever since the second generation of Pokemon, but I understand Diamond and Pearl are doing very well for the DS. My question is.. does Diamond/Pearl ever allow you to visit other regions apart from Sinnoh? I remember Gold/Silver let players revisit Kanto after they completed all the areas of the Johto region.

Wouldn't it be a good idea (lucrative too) for Nintendo to release a game where players could start in any region they wanted then work through the other regions as they completed their own objectives.

I know there has been much debate over the production of a MMORPG with the same idea, but a simple DS game that allowed the player to explore all the different regions. All the pieces are there, it just needs to be made.

I know it would be so cool if they did something like that. They need to do something like that... It would rock so hard. I think it should be done.

Why Not.

For this conversation, lets take the other stance, and say, why not.

While Nintendo has a classic history of remakes and rehashing old material, frankly putting all 4 regions into one game would be very un Nintendo. For the past few years, the hand held "region" games have followed the same formula, and it's worked, the only reason why the remake theories continue is for sake that one game in the series is at the moment, completely unplayable. The Metal generation has zero representation on the ds. Hoenn and Kanto both shown verry nicely in the advance games that are still fully compatible, and frankly, wont have internal battery death, for likely, 6 more years (one of the reasons why the big N dropped the support for the original game boy cartage was that the battery packed games like zelda will go bad, pritty much, in 12 years and it is neigh impossible to change.)

It seems silly to remake a game's area, that with current hardware is more than absolutely playable, and still good.

That would be a serious step down. Sinnoh is about the same size as Kanto (plus a little more), and the game file is about 50 mb. consider how much of that is not the basic pokemon files, but the game content, maps, NPC's and their pokes (moves and IVs, and EVs), unless they make a uncharacteristic large ds disk, which the standard size of production is 148 mb....You might bring up the R4, but remember how much it costs, with out any actual programing or packageing, or advertiseing....exactly...

Next is in terms of story, 2BaMasta? Something like that? Sure. But why would a trainer go to every single area in the world (I'm looking at you satoshi/Ash), like any other sport, I would assume you would travel to other areas for tournaments and events (see single player sports like golf, and competitve card games) the pros travel for events. This is not part of the pkmn formula, however, it would be a complete improvement over the verry standard game formula, and I think an area heavy, pkmn game for a console could shine. I enjoyed XD but I felt the game, was as a whole, short, and kinda unsatisfying, like pearl, was verrrrry satisfying.

This brings me to the idea of such a BIG PKMN game...It might exist with out my knowlage, however, their are games with GHASP more than one disk. Game cube only touched on this revolutionary idea in metal gear solid: twin snakes...however why is this not done more? I would love to see a third person customizable trainer (kinda like the pbr models, only a little more open to altering) and a story line that was, this 'd hurt the N if they heard it, WITH LITTLE TO NO CONENT FOR SOMEONE WHO HAD NOT PLAYED THE HANDHELD.

Ow, that hurt, but imagine a game that starts (sorta) in the post game of the hand held, where you migrate a few pokes over, and walk through the regions. Or at least have the ability to get your hand breed masterpieces onto the game in only a few hours, one of the few things that PISSED me off about XD was that, I couldnt move my good stuff in the game till after it was already over.

Or at least have the game, go through a place (like kanto) quickly, be able to migrate things, and then have a strange tournament multi content feal....

Why not that?
But not on the hand helds, why? Because in the handhelds, theirs only one peice missing, GSC, and its easer to build that one peice, than to go build a huge masterpeice...

Lastly, I'd like to touch on timelines.
RB
Y
GS
C
RS
LG FR
E
DP

Generation one set a standard, even in Japan (where I am going to ignore yellow) because their was a three part deal. THe first two games were like the movie release, and the thrid, was the director's cut. In Japan Red and BLue were original, followed by Green which fine tuned the graphics, mechanics and story line, Green became the American Red and Blue, the directors cut for America was allso released in japan as yellow, however, it realy was for the American audience. Gold Silver's directors cut was Crystal, and Crystal kinda set the standard for the third game of the set. It was longer, more features, improved different storyline. animated images of the pokes...ectera...The only stumbling block in all this, is what happens in gen 3, the remakes of leaf fire, kanto..The importance of this remake was to make the gen 1/2 pokes, appear in the 3rd generation, a big deal considerably, and it made the old generation pokes work in the new IV/EV system, instead of the old EV system (which trust me, no one wants to do.)
So with this, a remake of the 3rd region, isnt needed. It's not. Every poke, is capturable or obtaniable with an event (baring Celibi, Jirrachi...sorta?)
So the other reason why a super region remake could be good/made is with a legend hunter theme, lets face it, alot of the old legends are hard as Frick to get, getting a good celibi...I'm still trying...hes never been officially released in the states....The Legendary beasts, you have to play ALL of fire/leaf to get ONE...yea, thats right...ONE.
You only get that one. Collisum made up for that...kinda...but still not quite right.

The point of all this, is if a mega region game was released, it would need a serious gimimic, that the series just doenst have yet. The tried true hand held formula wouldn't work in it well, and it would be a pointless game, unless it had that strong draw. Legend hunter, Professional Battler....something like that, make it hard, make it like the masters class of pokemon,

Okay, first of all, no one ever said that the "Master Game" if you will had to have a main on plot... For crying out loud, pokemon games have pretty much the same thing anyway:
1. Beat Elite 4
2. Catch All Pokemon
3-5 keep alternated between Battle Tower, Contets, Underground, things like that.
So a story line for the "Master Game" is possible.
As for the missing part, the GSC bit, that ain't exactly missing as it is in the works as we speak. There is a remake that will be released as DawnGold and DuskSilver.
I do however agree with your "customizable trainer" bit like PBR has featured.
Now as for the "too big a game", we never said it had to be on a handheld. For crying out loud, Nintendo has done multiple disks with a few good games. You got the Baten Kaitos games, Tales of Symphonia, there is a list of the games here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiple-disc_Nintendo_GameCube_games so nothing is stopping them from doing it on the Wii.
Also something has confused me about what you said... You said that the "Director's Cut" of each version is slightly longer. I have to say BULL!!! RB-Y wasn't longer. GS-C wasn't longer. RS-E was the first to be longer. FR/LG don't go into the count because they were remakes of the past, something that is being done to GS right now as DG/DS

DraculKH said:
Okay, first of all, no one ever said that the "Master Game" if you will had to have a main on plot... For crying out loud, pokemon games have pretty much the same thing anyway:
1. Beat Elite 4
2. Catch All Pokemon
3-5 keep alternated between Battle Tower, Contets, Underground, things like that.
So a story line for the "Master Game" is possible.
As for the missing part, the GSC bit, that ain't exactly missing as it is in the works as we speak. There is a remake that will be released as DawnGold and DuskSilver.
I do however agree with your "customizable trainer" bit like PBR has featured.
Now as for the "too big a game", we never said it had to be on a handheld. For crying out loud, Nintendo has done multiple disks with a few good games. You got the Baten Kaitos games, Tales of Symphonia, there is a list of the games here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiple-disc_Nintendo_GameCube_games so nothing is stopping them from doing it on the Wii.
Also something has confused me about what you said... You said that the "Director's Cut" of each version is slightly longer. I have to say BULL!!! RB-Y wasn't longer. GS-C wasn't longer. RS-E was the first to be longer. FR/LG don't go into the count because they were remakes of the past, something that is being done to GS right now as DG/DS

I had to take the far side of the argument, just for fun and giggles.

Sadly, though the name has been copyrighted, theirs no official validation of GSDS, and I hope if its made, that it follows the crystal storyline.

Nintendo just seems to not like multi disk games as much as playstaon did...

Even if the story is not longer on the director's cut, the amount of data and the changed story is enough to keep it's consideration. Also rember our red and blue, is their green, their expanded game, and the difference between them is part of what I was talking about.

However, I just want to see more console/handheld interaction, but game freak really seems to avoid cementing cannon of the universe, when even things like zelda (a crazy time line) and metroid ( a farily obvious timeline) theirs just a lot of things, that arnt done anything with.

Maybe if you could choose a region before you play?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've always been impressed by the level of popularity this franchise has gained over the years. I'm also surprised by how long its popularity has lasted despite the (somewhat) lack of truly innovative game design.

The more I think about the possibility of such a project, I keep coming back to the idea of a console-oriented MMORPG. However, I understand how hotly debated this topic has been and although Nintendo has no current plans to bring the franchise into a truly interactive world, we can still discuss the amount of potential behind such a game.

What's great about this franchise is how established it already is. With 5 major regions (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orange Islands) and a scattering of minor areas, Pokemon already has a groundwork from which to build. And with certain pokemon exclusive to different regions. And with these regions, we have at least 5 starting points for new trainers.

As mentioned by Strype, implementing a job system would add variety to the game, and would actually encourage different players to try to capture different types of pokemon.

Different competitions can be posted to a daily bulletin alerting players as to where and when these events will be held. Of course as players progress through different towns, the requirements to enter tournaments will increase, whether it be having a certain number of badges or a simple registration fee. Of course getting to the Pokemon League would allow players to battle not only the best players, but players from other regions as well.

There are a number of concepts that can be implemented into a bigger game. Of course the "Catch them all" idea will still be there as well as the "Be the best." But there can be other jobs and goals that can be reached as well.

it'de be a great idea, ill give you that

but it wouldnt open a wormhole in the middle of the planet

I'm not gonna lie. I didnt bother to read any of the posts that were over 2 sentences.

Tails McCloud~ said:
I'm not gonna lie. I didnt bother to read any of the posts that were over 2 sentences.
Lol, same.
Started reading Strypes but it was too wordy so im gona add my 2 cents.

It could be a great idea, but the levelup system and such will have to have a complete revamp.

Thats all :lol:

Back