5th Generation of Pokemon - New Starter Pokemon Suggestions

I guess I should go ahead and say this, I dont want to mess with starters or other iconic pokes, I just want to fill in gaps, evolve some things, and make new pokes...

On a second note, I would like to repost the "Create a pokemon" From smogon,
I think this thing is a work of genious,
orly-lugia.gif
yea realy
and lets see what happens, they are tying to get it in Shoddy battle and sending their works to nintendo.

IceBugsheet_finalsprites4.png

buganim_slower.gif

IceParty_sp.gif
Syclant
Bug/Ice
Ability: Compound Eyes/ Mountaineer
70/ 116/ 70/ 114/ 64/ 121

Compound Eyes: Raises accuracy of moves by 30%.

Mountaineer: This pokemon takes no indirect or direct damage from Rock type attacks upon switching in. This doesn't block additional effects.

Dex Entry 1: "The icicles on SYCLANT's back grow bigger as it gets older, the older a SYCLANT is the longer the icicles are. The icicles are 100x stronger than any POKEMON's bone and razor sharp."

Dex Entry 2: "Wild SYCLANTs are very aggressive, so much so that they live alone. They train by breaking apart large glaciers."

Dex Entry 3: "Wild SYCLANT are fearsome predators. Even in harsh blizzards they can quickly chase down their prey with stunning agility. Should a DELIBIRD find itself near a colony, it would be swarmed almost immediately."

Movepool:

Level:
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Leech life
- Leer
- Ice Shard
10 Focus Energy
15 Knock Off
17 Slash
20 Bite
28 Icy Wind
32 X-Scissor
40 Night Slash
49 Ice Punch
55 Bug Buzz
65 Sheer Cold

TMs/HMs:
TM03: Water Pulse
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt
TM13: Ice Beam
TM14: Blizzard
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM16: Light Screen
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM28: Dig
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM33: Reflect
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM41: Torment
TM42: Facade
TM43: Secret Power
TM44: Attract
TM45: Rest
TM46: Thief
TM47: Steel Wing
TM51: Roost
TM52: Focus Blast
TM54: False Swipe
TM56: Fling
TM58: Endure
TM60: Drain Punch
TM62: Silver Wind
TM63: Embargo
TM65: Shadow Claw
TM66: Payback
TM68: Giga Impact
TM70: Flash
TM71: Stone Edge
TM72: Avalanche
TM75: Swords Dance
TM78: Captivate
TM80: Rock Slide
TM81: X-Scissor
TM82: Sleep Talk
TM83: Natural Gift
TM84: Poison Jab
TM87: Swagger
TM89: U-Turn
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
HM01: Cut
HM03: Fly (for those bitching that this doesn't fly, explain Doduo)
HM04: Strength
HM06: Rock Smash

Egg Moves (Bug Group):

- Earth Power (Trapinch)
- Superpower (Pincir)
- Spikes (Forretress)
- Counter (Forretress)
- Air Slash (Scyther, Scizor)
- Crunch (Skorupi, Drapion, Trapinch)
- Tail Glow (?) (Volbeat)

Strype McClaine said:
I guess I should go ahead and say this, I dont want to mess with starters or other iconic pokes, I just want to fill in gaps, evolve some things, and make new pokes...

On a second note, I would like to repost the "Create a pokemon" From smogon,
I think this thing is a work of genious,
orly-lugia.gif
yea realy
and lets see what happens, they are tying to get it in Shoddy battle and sending their works to nintendo.

IceBugsheet_finalsprites4.png

buganim_slower.gif

IceParty_sp.gif
Syclant
Bug/Ice
Ability: Compound Eyes/ Mountaineer
70/ 116/ 70/ 114/ 64/ 121

Compound Eyes: Raises accuracy of moves by 30%.

Mountaineer: This pokemon takes no indirect or direct damage from Rock type attacks upon switching in. This doesn't block additional effects.

Dex Entry 1: "The icicles on SYCLANT's back grow bigger as it gets older, the older a SYCLANT is the longer the icicles are. The icicles are 100x stronger than any POKEMON's bone and razor sharp."

Dex Entry 2: "Wild SYCLANTs are very aggressive, so much so that they live alone. They train by breaking apart large glaciers."

Dex Entry 3: "Wild SYCLANT are fearsome predators. Even in harsh blizzards they can quickly chase down their prey with stunning agility. Should a DELIBIRD find itself near a colony, it would be swarmed almost immediately."

Movepool:

Level:
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Leech life
- Leer
- Ice Shard
10 Focus Energy
15 Knock Off
17 Slash
20 Bite
28 Icy Wind
32 X-Scissor
40 Night Slash
49 Ice Punch
55 Bug Buzz
65 Sheer Cold

That IS a very nice idea for a new Pokemon of the 5th Generation Strype!

And about this "Smogon" thing...would you mind telling me more about what that is, and how can you "create" a Pokemon?

And to add on: that Syclant idea reminds me of Scizor for some reason:p, only isntead of Steel, its Ice.

Ismail said:
can anyone imagine how would Shuckle,Dunsparce,Pinsir & Heracros look if they evolved (they have to make an evolution for them in the 5th Genration)

I agree with you pal:lol:

Ismail said:
can anyone imagine how would Shuckle,Dunsparce,Pinsir & Heracros look if they evolved (they have to make an evolution for them in the 5th Genration)

Shuckle-Does it need an evolution?
Dunsparce- Reaaaallllyyy needs an evolution

Pinsir- needs one

Heracross -Im going to go on a limb here, and say heracross, needs a pre-evolution.

Ismail said:

I'll just spitball some names off the top of my head for evolutions and/or pre-evolutions for these Pokemon:

Shuckle > Evolves when traded and holding a Hard Stone into > Shuckoral (Shuck + Coral like coral reef)

Dunsparce (Not really sure what he could evolve into)

Pinsir > Evolved from > Pinchette > at level 30

Heracross > Evolved from > Crossect (Cross + Insect) > at level 30

Shuckoral - Bug/Rock
Coral Rock PKMN
Height: 3'11" Weight: 100lbs

Pinchette - Bug
Pinch PKMN
Height: 2'03" Weight: 29lbs

Crossect - Bug
Bettle PKMN
Height: 2'04" Weight: 30lbs

But I agree with you guys about having these Pokemon have Evolutions, or atleast Pre-Evolutions. I mean, they did give Scyther an evolution to Scizor!

Last edited:
Jeff25 said:
If I were in charge on creating a 5th Generation of new Starter Pokemon, I would suggest they have a Kangaroo Pokemon, a Snake Pokemon, and a Piranha Pokemon.

The Grass Starter: Leafaroo Pronounced "leaf" "ah" "roo"
Leafaroo could be the 5th Grass starter, and could evolve into Kangrass who could be part Grass/Fighting type (like Breloom). It's last form could be Treesupial ("Marsupial" but with "Tree" in the beginning). For those of you who don't know what Marsupials are, they're animals who carry their young in a pouch (Like Kangaskhan), except with Treesupial, it could carry a small plant or shrub in it's pouch, and have boxing gloves on it's hands. It could also bounce off with it's tail and use Hi Jump Kick or another Fighting type kicking move.

Water Starter: Waveranha Pronounced "wave" "ron" "ah"
Waveranha would be the Water starter who's a small piranha fish (like Carvanha). He could evolve into a small shark-like Pokemon called Piranice (combination of the words, "piranha" and "ice"), who could be part Water/Ice. The final form could be a giant Shark Pokemon who's also part Ice type, and would be able to learn powerful Ice moves like Blizzard, along with Water moves like Hydro Pump. It's name would be Shivshark, a combo of "shiver" & "shark".

Fire Starter: Hisskorch Pronounced "hiss" "scorch"
Hisskorch could be a small, firey snake-like Pokemon who looks similar to Ekans. Instead of being a Poison type like many snake Pokemon, Hisskorch would be a Fire type. It would evolve into Hisshot(the words "hiss" & hot" combined), who could gain the Ground type to make it a Fire/Ground type starter, and could learn moves like Dig, and Flame Wheel. It's last stage could be Cobroil (combination of the words "Cobra" and "Boil"). Cobroil would also be part Ground, and would look similar to Arbok except for the Poison type. He could have a flat neck area like Arbok, and on it he could have a giant flame emblem or another firey symbol on it.

To ellaborate more on my very first post on this thread, here are my original ideas for new starters but with more detail:

Grass Starter:
Leafaroo - "Lee" "Fah" "Roo" (Leaf + Kangaroo)
Baby Joey PKMN
*A Joey is a young Kangaroo*
Type: Grass
Evolves: Level 18
Dex Entry: Although very small and non-frightening, LEAFAROO will use it's tail to lift its body high to make it look more intimidating to preditors if it is cornered.
\/
Kangrass - "Kang" "Grass" (Kangaroo + Grass)
Kangaroo PKMN
Height: 3'11" Weight: 74lbs
Evolves: Level 36
Dex Entry: KANGRASS are very competative. They never stop challenging enemies until it achieves perfection. A win only makes this Pokemon drive harder for strength.
\/
Treesupial - "Tree" "Su" "Peal" (Tree + Marsupial)
Marsupial PKMN
Type: Grass/Fighting
Height: 6'03" Weight: 105lbs
Signature Move: Tree Snapper (Power = 140, Accuracy = 95, Type = Grass)
Dex Entry: After evolution, TREESUPIAL grows strange Boxing Glove-like fists over its hands. This allows a TREESUPIAL to dish out hard punches along with strong Kangaroo kicks.

Fire Starter:
Hisskorch - "Hiss" "Scorch" (Hiss + Scorch)
Flame Snake PKMN
Type: Fire
Height: *Fully Stretched...4'03" *Unstretched...1'08"
Weight: 13lbs
Evolves: Level 14
Dex Entry: The only flames that flicker on its slender body are the tip of its tail, and the top of its head. It's body is warm to the touch.
\/
Hissizzel - "Hiss" "Sizzel" (Hiss + Sizzel)
*I decided to change his name from Hisshot to Hissizzel (less confusion than previous name)*
Flame Snake PKMN
Height: *Fully Stretched...5'03" *Unstretched...3'07"
Weight: 48lbs
Evolves: Level 32
Dex Entry: A small blue-ish green gem on the throat of a HISSIZZEL glows when it senses strong Water type foes. It has a spiked tail and neck area to swing around for protection.
\/
Cobroil - "Ko" "Broil" (Cobra + Boil)
Cauldron PKMN
Type: Fire/Ground
Height: *Fully Stretched...13'02" *Unstretched...5'11"
Weight: 137lbs
Signature Move: Sizzel (Power = 120, Accuracy = 100, Type = Fire)
Dex Entry: Some may say this Pokemon came from the underworld. It has Devil-like horns growing from its head and it has some relation to ARBOK. It has enough muscle power to crush an AGGRON.

Water Starter:
Waveranha - "Wave" "Ron" "Ah" (Wave + Piranha)
Mini Fang PKMN
Type: Water
Height: 1'04" Weight: 23lbs
Evolves: Level 16
Dex Entry: It's wavy tail fin can be whipped back and forth at blinding speed to allow WAVERANHA to travel long underwater distances with little effort. Its close rival is Carvanha.
\/
Piranice - "Pah" "Ron" "Ice" (Piranha + Ice)
Young Shark PKMN
Type: Water/Ice
Height: 3'07" Weight: 56lbs
Dex Entry: Evolution has given this Pokemon a slightly stretched body which will greatly improve its swimming speeds. Some swimmers have mistaken this Pokemon for a dolphin.
\/
Shivshark - "Shiv" "Shark" (Shiver + Shark)
Great White PKMN
Height: 5'03" Weight: 123lbs
Signature Move: Tidal Crash (Power = 130, Accuracy = 80, Type = Water)
Dex Entry: SHIVSHARK live in icy arctic waters. It's body acts like a underwater jet, and can race through narrow glacial tunnels. It's tail is similar to WAVERANHA's except it is divided into two, cold to the touch, wavy tails.

I'm currently preparing my ideas to send to Game Freak/Nintendo (the designers of the older PKMN Games)...so hopefully, they'll like my ideas and use them in a new Pokemon game:D!!
Wish me luck:)!

Last edited:
Jeff25 said:
To ellaborate more on my very first post on this thread, here are my original ideas for new starters but with more detail:

Grass Starter:
Leafaroo - "Lee" "Fah" "Roo" (Leaf + Kangaroo)
Baby Joey PKMN
*A Joey is a young Kangaroo*
Evolves: Level 18
Dex Entry: Although very small and non-frightening, LEAFAROO will use it's tail to lift its body high to make it look more intimidating to preditors if it is cornered.
\/
Kangrass - "Kang" "Grass" (Kangaroo + Grass)
Kangaroo PKMN
Height: 3'11" Weight: 74lbs
Dex Entry: KANGRASS are very competative. They never stop challenging enemies until it achieves perfection. A win only makes this Pokemon drive harder for strength.
\/
Treesupial - "Tree" "Su" "Peal" (Tree + Marsupial)
Marsupial PKMN
Type: Grass/Fighting
Height: 6'03" Weight: 105lbs
Signature Move: Tree Snapper (Power = 140, Accuracy = 95, Type = Grass)
Dex Entry: After evolution, TREESUPIAL grows strange Boxing Glove-like fists over its hands. This allows a TREESUPIAL to dish out hard punches along with strong Kangaroo kicks.

Fire Starter:
Hisskorch - "Hiss" "Scorch" (Hiss + Scorch)
Flame Snake PKMN
Height: *Fully Stretched...4'03" *Unstretched...1'08"
Weight: 13lbs
Evolves: Level 14
Dex Entry: The only flames that flicker on its slender body are the tip of its tail, and the top of its head. It's body is warm to the touch.
\/
Hissizzel - "Hiss" "Sizzel" (Hiss + Sizzel)
*I decided to change his name from Hisshot to Hissizzel (less confusion than previous name)*
Flame Snake PKMN
Height: *Fully Stretched...5'03" *Unstretched...3'07"
Weight: 48lbs
Evolves: Level 32
Dex Entry: A small blue-ish green gem on the throat of a HISSIZZEL glows when it senses strong Water type foes. It has a spiked tail and neck area to swing around for protection.
\/
Cobroil - "Ko" "Broil" (Cobra + Boil)
Cauldron PKMN
Type: Fire/Ground
Height: *Fully Stretched...13'02" *Unstretched...5'11"
Weight: 137lbs
Signature Move: Sizzel (Power = 120, Accuracy = 100, Type = Fire)
Dex Entry: Some may say this Pokemon came from the underworld. It has Devil-like horns growing from its head and it has some relation to ARBOK. It has enough muscle power to crush an AGGRON.

Water Starter:
Waveranha - "Wave" "Ron" "Ah" (Wave + Piranha)
Mini Fang PKMN
Type: Water
Height: 1'04" Weight: 23lbs
Evolves: Level 16
Dex Entry: It's wavy tail fin can be whipped back and forth at blinding speed to allow WAVERANHA to travel long underwater distances with little effort. Its close rival is Carvanha.
\/
Piranice - "Pah" "Ron" "Ice" (Piranha + Ice)
Young Shark PKMN
Height: 3'07" Weight: 56lbs
Dex Entry: Evolution has given this Pokemon a slightly stretched body which will greatly improve its swimming speeds. Some swimmers have mistaken this Pokemon for a dolphin.
\/
Shivshark - "Shiv" "Shark" (Shiver + Shark)
Great White PKMN
Height: 5'03" Weight: 123lbs
Signature Move: Tidal Crash (Power = 130, Accuracy = 80, Type = Water)
Dex Entry: SHIVSHARK live in icy arctic waters. It's body acts like a underwater jet, and can race through narrow glacial tunnels. It's tail is similar to WAVERANHA's except it is divided into two, cold to the touch, wavy tails.

I'm currently preparing my ideas to send to Game Freak/Nintendo (the designers of the older PKMN Games)...so hopefully, they'll like my ideas and use them in a new Pokemon game:D!!
Wish me luck:)!

That would be awsome if Nintendo made your ideas actual pokemon for the next pokemon game. i support you 100%.

Ok Jeff, I've been nice before, but study the game and its mechanics fully before trying to keep opening the massive can of worms you keep popping open.

You have some potential, but man, you really don't know what your doing yet.
Show me some stats.
Show me some move pools.
Show me potential roles.
Show me the rest of the game that designers HAVE to take into consideration.

If you want to take it that far, get a shoddy test server and work on making the pokes FULLY, not just the skeletal ideas.

Last edited:
Strype McClaine said:
Ok Jeff, I've been nice before, but study the game and its mechanics fully before trying to keep opening the massive can of worms you keep popping open.

You have some potential, but man, you really don't know what your doing yet.
Show me some stats.
Show me some move pools.
Show me potential roles.
Show me the rest of the game that designers HAVE to take into consideration.

If you want to take it that far, get a shoddy test server and work on making the pokes FULLY, not just the skeletal ideas.

Relax Strype, I have all my ideas written out completly...ALL my ideas, that includes all the things you mentioned such as Move Pools, and Roles...The only thing that would take me some time to do is create the rest of the game...I even made up Gym Leaders and Elite Four members for the game...so I just need to figureout a name and map for the new region and I'll be set.

Don't think I'm just another Pokemon nut trying to whip up some corny ideas to send to game designers.

I have all my ideas WELL thought out and everything!
Just because I don't post it all on this thread doesn't mean I don't have a clue what I'm doing:p.
Plus it would just take up WAY too much space on one post to tell all my ideas anyway, ya know.

But just trust me on this one Strype;), and everyone else:p.

If you'd like to see the move pools I've come up with for them keep reading...

Leafaroo
Moves by Leveling Up:
Scratch - Lv: 1
Tail Whip - Lv: 1
Bullet Seed - Lv: 7
Focus Energy - Lv: 10
Quick Attack - Lv: 14
Double Kick - Lv: 18
Egg Moves:
Pound
Headbutt
Leech Seed
Synthesis
Bite
Fake Out
*Unsure YET about which TM/HM's he will know

Role: Good Physical Sweeper (High Speed & Attack)
Stats: HP = 50 ATK = 71 DEF = 39 Sp. ATK = 55 Sp. DEF = 50 SPD = 60

That's the move set for my Leafaroo idea...just to give ya an idea about what I mean when I say I have things thought through:thumbsup:!

Last edited:
Plazmis3 said:
That would be awsome if Nintendo made your ideas actual pokemon for the next pokemon game. i support you 100%.
Me too,but Jeff, tell them about MY Pokemon ideas,and ask if they could make them in the Jhoto Region......

Oh,and heres the TM and HM Moveset for "Cethalasquid"

Anything Normal,Water,Fire,Dragon,Dark,Flying,Ice,or anything else that looks cool of other types...........
....:lol: lol Joke,just kidding.......

But heres some moves he could learn when leveling up......
Hydro Pump,Giga Impact,Extremespeed,Quick Attack,Dark Pulse,Dragon Pulse,Dragon Rage,Twister,Beat Up,and more....

Last edited:
Sorry, its just when I see things presented like that, I do get a bit irritated. I've done alot of game design work in the past, and I have been published a few times, just for other games, and unless ideas are complete, fully fleshed out, and have been tested, It just tends to rub my fur the wrong way.

I don't mean to sound pompous or a jerk in any form, but its a hard thing to work with and do. You have to ballence the Idea, Flavor, Form, Function, Role, Ballence all at the same time...

Often writing for any game, making new content, is the most fun, difficult, and aggravating thing you can ever do. The fortunate thing is, your not building a new system, just expanding on an existing one. I think what might be an exercise in design might be, the following....

How many new pokemon were added to gen 4, excluding evolutions that are unavailable till the post game senerio, IE. the Sinnoh pokes.
Take that number, and make it the "new poke" number, then design a region around that. Without creating a single pokemon, determine what roles the new pokes fill in the environment (flavor roll and ballence), and then determine, what is needed.

Example, the first few routes has a few pokemon, usuealy at least one flyer, and a few ground non bug critters, what roles do they fill late game?

Strype McClaine said:
Sorry, its just when I see things presented like that, I do get a bit irritated. I've done alot of game design work in the past, and I have been published a few times, just for other games, and unless ideas are complete, fully fleshed out, and have been tested, It just tends to rub my fur the wrong way.

I don't mean to sound pompous or a jerk in any form, but its a hard thing to work with and do. You have to ballence the Idea, Flavor, Form, Function, Role, Ballence all at the same time...

Often writing for any game, making new content, is the most fun, difficult, and aggravating thing you can ever do. The fortunate thing is, your not building a new system, just expanding on an existing one. I think what might be an exercise in design might be, the following....

How many new pokemon were added to gen 4, excluding evolutions that are unavailable till the post game senerio, IE. the Sinnoh pokes.
Take that number, and make it the "new poke" number, then design a region around that. Without creating a single pokemon, determine what roles the new pokes fill in the environment (flavor roll and ballence), and then determine, what is needed.

Example, the first few routes has a few pokemon, usuealy at least one flyer, and a few ground non bug critters, what roles do they fill late game?

It's alright Strype...I can take some helpful critisism:yesnod:.

I know there are alot of things that I may have overlooked throughout my idea for a 5th Generation of Pokemon Gaming.
You're right about starting with determining the new roles of the new Pokemon, and which ones can be found on the new routes. That I haven't had a chance to think about yet...

And sorry if I've offended your game designing know-how:p.

If I run into any trouble with my ideas, I'll be sure to come to ya since you know a bit more about this stuff then I do:lol:.

PS: I'll let you know what ideas I have for the Gym Leaders/Elite Four on a later post. But they probably will be revised when I start creating new Pokemon...

I would really like to see something fresh in the way of starters, I have been playing Pokemon for almost 15 years now and Ill be playing them as long as they keep making them but I would really like to see a mix on what the games start with.

Like why not
dark, psychic fighting.

Well balanced good single types. Seriously would that be so much to ask for? water grass and fire haven’t been a fair match since crystal and dual typing. I know we have a remake of emerald coming out after the 5th gen game Id sure would love a mix up on what pokemon I’m going to use.

I’m an electric trainer by nature but I know that I am not the only one out there that thinks tradition doesn’t mean degradation.

PS If your Listening bring back the PokeRadar!!!! please :)

Back