Wii and Component Cable

pmaciver

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2008
mars, galaxy
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been answered. But I have looked through the posts and can't seem to find any similar problem.

What it is, is that I used to live in the UK, and I bought my Wii there and also had a 32" TV that I could play my wii through using the component cable.

I have since moved to Berlin in Germany and purchased the following TV
Toshiba 32 C 3530 DG 32 You can go here to look at the specs as this is where I bought it from. http://www.amazon.de/Toshiba-3530-Z..._sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1201244999&sr=8-1

Now when I plug in my will using the crappy composite cable I am able to get a picture and sound fine. Although the quality is crappy I can still play games no problem. But when I plug in the component cable and switch to its channel I get no picture and no sound.

Now I have read that I must edit the wii settings under screen settings in the wii menu to be able to use my component cable, but there is the catch 22, if I don't have the component cable plugged in I cannot select the HDTV settings on my TV, but if I have the cable plugged in I get no sound and no picture, and so I am not able to go to the settings and select this option.

Hmmm, so which is supposed to come first the chicken or the egg in this case.?

Any help would be useful. I don't really want to keep using the crappy composite cable when I have component.

Thanks.

I think you have a defective cable.
As when I made the switch over, I was able to access the wii settings after installing the component cables. Or you have not properly installed the component cables. Lastly when installing a different input connection you have to set your tv to that new input connection when in use. (Example your cable box connection may be input 1 while your wii component connection may be input 3). The input ports are usually labeled on the tv at each input port.

:sick:

Last edited:
Do you think that my cable could be damaged? It is the same one that I was using in the UK. I suppose it could have been damaged on the flight over, but is it really likely. Are these component cables prone to damage? I got the official one from nintendo, would another one be better to try?

And as for switching the input connection , I did that, all I go was blue screen. I don't really want to buy a new cable if I don't have to, but I don't know how to test if the one I have is the reason I can't see anything.

Any suggestions?

the same prob happened to me but the sound works fine,the component cables dont work though. I connected it directly into my tv and i get a black and white screen. How do you install the cables and fix my problem?

well i can rule out a damaged cable. I went and got a new one today and still the same. I hope this doesn't mean i am stuck with composite. :yikes:

I don't rule out installation error...........
Are you sure you don't have the audio cables installed where the video cables are suppose to be installed? I'd play around with your component cable hookup and the input selection on your tv.

If you have several component cable hookups on your tv try a different hookup...........
My TV has 2-component cable hookups.

Last edited:
Yayyyyy! I fixed it, after your suggestions I looked through my manual again, and realised that I had my dvd player plugged into the side port with was input 3, and the component cable was also 3 so there must be some sort of sharing going on there. So I went and took the dvd cable out and hey presto, my wii is working like normal. That is a relief, I was starting to think maybe I had a faulty TV. Phew!

So thank you very much for all your suggestions, I finally have a working wii using my component cable.

Thanks again. :smilewinkgrin:

mine isnt working still.....

i used the regular cables and connected it to my side of the tv(red white yellow) and it works fine,i connect the sound of the component cable to the surround sound and the sound works fine but the picture doesn't even show though i connected it where it says to connect,it doesn't come with a manual though so any help

torontowii said:

i used the regular cables and connected it to my side of the tv(red white yellow) and it works fine,i connect the sound of the component cable to the surround sound and the sound works fine but the picture doesn't even show though i connected it where it says to connect,it doesn't come with a manual though so any help

Sorry I can't help you as I don't have surround sound on my system.......(yet).

:yikes:

pmaciver said:
Yayyyyy! I fixed it, after your suggestions I looked through my manual again, and realised that I had my dvd player plugged into the side port with was input 3, and the component cable was also 3 so there must be some sort of sharing going on there. So I went and took the dvd cable out and hey presto, my wii is working like normal. That is a relief, I was starting to think maybe I had a faulty TV. Phew!

So thank you very much for all your suggestions, I finally have a working wii using my component cable.

Thanks again. :smilewinkgrin:

Great! :aureola:

idjut-game_pro-sig.jpg

torontowii said:

Maybe you should try what I did if you haven't already. Take all other connections to your TV out, and then plug in only your wii and see if that works. My problem was that like you I had a normal red white and yellow connections in the site of my TV, and this was input 3, but my component cable connection was also input 3, and I guess when there was anything in the non-component cable input it would just try to use that. When I took it out, the display for the input name turn to "input 3C" I guess this meant input 3 Component, and then I was able to see my wii.

Just a thought if you haven't already tried it.

Back