Wii and HDTV compatability

moffifox

moffifox
Jan 7, 2008
london
I have a Samsung LCD television which I'm playing my new Wii on (xmas present), does anyone know if Samsung televisions have the right ports/scarts etc to make my Wii playing experience High Def?? The picture quality is already pretty good but if it can be improved even more why not. Any thoughts guys?

I think I read somewhere that the Wii is not HD compatible as it only supports 480p.

Someone who knows will chime here I'm sure.

moffifox said:
I have a Samsung LCD television which I'm playing my new Wii on (xmas present), does anyone know if Samsung televisions have the right ports/scarts etc to make my Wii playing experience High Def?? The picture quality is already pretty good but if it can be improved even more why not. Any thoughts guys?

Yeah the Samsung TVs have the right ports and everything for the HD cables the Wii uses. Like the previous poster said the Wii supports 480p but that doesnt really qualify as HD but itll improve the picture quality alot.

I own a Samsung HDTV and our Wii is hooked up by component cables instead of composite cables. It improved the games graphics significantly.

Anything is better than composite, except for an RF connector. I use S-Video and it looks a lot better than composite. I'm told the difference between S-Video and component is minor though, so if you only have S-Video it's worth going for that at least.

sremick said:
Anything is better than composite, except for an RF connector. I use S-Video and it looks a lot better than composite. I'm told the difference between S-Video and component is minor though, so if you only have S-Video it's worth going for that at least.
S-video and component is a minor difference? S-video is stadard def, whereas component is high def...

Jorge said:
S-video and component is a minor difference? S-video is stadard def, whereas component is high def...
In context. We're discussing the Wii here. Since the Wii is not high-def, that advantage doesn't come into play.

sremick said:
In context. We're discussing the Wii here. Since the Wii is not high-def, that advantage doesn't come into play.
I understand, and honestly (on the Wii) there is probably only a slight difference in picture between an RF modulator and component cables. The only reason I have a set of components is because I have an HDTV and I got a killer discount on cables from a previous job.

Jorge said:
(on the Wii) there is probably only a slight difference in picture between an RF modulator and component cables.
Although it would depend on the size of the TV, I have to disagree. On my 36" CRT I can see a big difference between just composite and S-Video.

RF < composite < s-video < component

480P Settings

laurie_lu said:
I own a Samsung HDTV and our Wii is hooked up by component cables instead of composite cables. It improved the games graphics significantly.

Is there a menu option on the Wii that allows you to select video output? I also have component cables but I didn't change any settings.

The Wii just has its one video output. The type of signal depends on what cable you hook up to it. Therefore, there's no setting you select on the Wii (as far as composite, s-video, and component are concerned).

The only exception is choosing 480p (progressive) versus standard 480i (interlaced). But this requires using the component cables and a display device that supports 480p.

Jorge said:

Wrong, the component cable for the Wii is only Enhanced Definition, which is 480p. The Wii may be capable of HD (1080p) but it wasonly a rumour I heard.

Back