Wii Picture Quality

TheEnglishBear

WiiChat Member
Jan 12, 2007
Hello all! - hmm is anybody else disappointed with the Wii? First of all I own a Samsung HDTV and an XBOX 360. I purchased the wii because I liked the motion sensor idea and it looked good to play with friends (which it is!). However I have a major problem with the quality of the display I am using component cables (not the official Nintendo ones though) and the picture quality is very poor compared to my 360 - It almost feels like im playing a system that is already out of date and certainly not x gen. For instance play call of duty 3 on the 360 and you can see the massive difference between the two systems. My own personal feeling is that Nintendo will be last again in the new console war - the last three systems they have realised have had major differences from there competitors (N64 Cartridge based, Game cube No DVD player and Wii not HDTV compatible and graphic power poor). Is anybody else experiencing burry picture quality even with the component cable and a HDTV?

You are correct. The graphics are not next gen at all. What makes the wii next gen is the motion controls. I think to be next gen you have to bring something new to the gaming world and this is what Nintendo choose. If the controls do not catch on then the wii will not survive.

I personally think Nintendo could have guaranteed there place if they upped the graphics to something even close to the xbox 360 and PS3. They should have at least went 720p with 1GB processor and a better GPU. This would not have upped the price that much.
With what the wii has I do not think the graphics will get much better then RE4 graphics.

They better make the controller count is all I have to say.

Last edited:
Well Nintendo was not targeting the High Def crowd. I have had a high def tv for 3 years and I still dont have 360. I bought the Wii for the fun of it not the graphics. Its not fair to compare the two. If you want high def games get a 360. If you want to have some fun and bring back a little old school gaming get the Wii.

bgraham34 said:
Well Nintendo was not targeting the High Def crowd. I have had a high def tv for 3 years and I still dont have 360. I bought the Wii for the fun of it not the graphics. Its not fair to compare the two. If you want high def games get a 360. If you want to have some fun and bring back a little old school gaming get the Wii.

I agree but...

Here is the problem. Imagine Nintendo choose to do the wii remote idea years ago when the PS2, gamecube and Xbox came out. Instead of upgrading to gamecube graphics they just kept the N64 graphics but added a wii remote.
After the graphics got good would you have bought old N64 games with a wii remote or Xbox and PS2 games?

Right now the wii graphics are acceptable because we are only seeing the start of next gen graphics. Wait until the developers really figuring out what they can do with a 360 and PS3 hardware. It is going to get really, really crazy in a couple of years. Now are the wii's controllers going to match up to the experience? We will have to wait and see.

Nintendo Wii's graphics are no match for 360 or PS3 but I don't really think it really matters on the Wii. When I'm playing Wii Sports I don't start thinking oh that looks crap etc.. because the Wii is a family based console and made for fun games with a new style of gameplay. Besides I have no complaints with the graphics on COD3 and Redsteel. Anyway, I usually go for gameplay NOT graphics. Theres no point buying GTA with great graphics then getting bored in about 1 or 2 weeks time.

shrimpy20 hit the nail on the head.

If the game relies so much on good graphics, then it's not that good a game.

Nintendo have gone for gameplay not graphics. Not that they are bad by any standard, but they are nowhere near the Hi Res needed for HDTV.

Do you really need to see every drop of sweat coming from every pore on a marines face ?? If you really want decent graphics in a game, forget the X360/PS3 and buy a PC.

Wii is all about gaming and for that, it's great :)

The picture is horrible if you dont have the conponent cables.
It's because the pixels are too high for AV Cables.
I noticed it at Game Stop and Best Buy.

I know what you guys are on about with graphics v game play - but its more than that - its the technical 'feel' to the game - graphics help to reproduce realism that makes a huge difference to game play - take gears of war on the 360 without the fantiastic visuals it would just be run of the mill - yet its critically acclaimed!. You mentioned Red steel Shimp - the game plays very similar to Goldeneye on the n64 which is now an eight year old game! Although I think Nintendo will produce very good and innovate games for the wii - third party houses will just rescale software released for 360/Ps3 and tack the controller on - sorry guys its all ready started to happen. I just cant help but feel the wii will have the same fate as the gamecube/n64 when in comes to third party - Eventually there will be a demise of third party producing for the system and Nintendo will be making the only decent titles for it.

What you say makes a lot of sense there TheEnglishBear.

If that does happen though, the only consolation is that the Wii only cost £179 which isn't gonna make people suicidal.

If nintendo focused on graphics alone, we would be in a 3 horse contest, and probably wouldn't have near 4 million units sold already. Nintendo was smart to seperate itself from Microsoft and Sony. You can't lose a competition you aren't in.

Back