Wii composite cable question - YCbCr or YPbPr?

donnyshaft

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2006
Wii component cable question - YCbCr or YPbPr?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am a pretty old school gamer going back to Atari 2600 (Wii is first upgrade since PS2) so I was a whiz with the old RF box, the coax link and RCAs, however...

I bought an aftermarket Wii component cable on eBay. Should I be inputting it in YCbCr or YPbPr? What's the difference?

I have it in the YPb slot and changed all my settings on the Wii to appropriate 480p and all. It seems to be working OK, but I want to be sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, lemme just say that I am using a 32" Soyo and I love the fact that you can use the Wii internet channel to watch stuff like Youtube clips on the big screen and with real home theater sound. Wii is a powerful little system for the $$$ with such cool elements to it that make it more than a typical gaming system.

Last edited:
It's fine.

With Y'PbPr, Y is for luminance, Pb is the difference between blue and Y, and Pr is the difference between red and Y.

With Y'CbCr, Y is for luma, Cb and Cr are blue and red chroma, respectively.

Many TVs have these things labeled Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr. I'm surprised yours are seperate. It will probably work on either input.

You're fine where you're at. Enjoy it!

Back