Wii has a lot of useless, extra junk!

JVIPER82

WiiChat Member
Sep 29, 2006
To set the record straight, I am a fan of Nintendo, have owned all of their systems at one point or another and intend on buying the Wii as well. However...

It seems to me that there is a lot of superfluous stuff incorporated in the Wii console that I just don't deem necessary. And I can't help but think that if those resources were used in different ways, we would have a much better machine to work with.

I know the point of the Wii is about the gameplay and not the graphics; and that is why I will be buying the system, but at the same time, graphics DO play an important role in gameplay and the enjoyment of that game. I personally think that having graphics that are only slightly better than the XBox isn't very impressive.

Some of the things that I feel are unneccesary that are included with the wii:

- The Opera internet browser (c'mon... computers are much better for surfing the net!)
- The Wii Channels (I don't need to turn on my game system to check the weather, news, etc. And who is gonna show photos on the Wii??)
- The Miis (does anyone really care about creating their own avatars? REALLY???)
- WiiConnect24 (why?? I don't need to constantly be connected to the internet for updates! The result of this is a smaller system that cannot consume enough power. I would not have included this unnecessary feature)
-The speaker in the Wiimote. (The sound quality is poor to begin with and I don't forsee this thing being used in a way that would enhance my gameplay!)

Imagine all of the time, energy and resources that were put into these projects. When instead, they could have boosted the graphical abilities of the machine. Without the WiiConnect24 feature, they could make the console slightly larger and include some additional technologies to close the gap between the Wii and the other two systems.

Finally, in the box, I would have included two wiimotes and nunckuck attachments instead of Wii Sports.

Tell if you guys think I'm off base. Let me know if you would prefer these other options built into the Wii. To me, it just seems like fluff, but that could only be me...

Thanks for your input!

the Mii's is a nice idea (u'll see your character in wii sports)

the speaker is not bad, it would add to your gaming experience.

btw, nintendo also did improve teh graphics, but their focus wasnt really on that thats why it wouldnt looks as good in comparison to ps3 or xbox360.

First the Miis are part of gameplay, you use them in Wii sports, warioware, Wii play and other possible nintendo games, I like the Mii system, the internet is for people who do not have access to the internet and also so you can surf on your tv, not everyone has tv ouput, the channels are there to sort through you stuff better, the speaker adds depth of sound and can be used for gameplay improvement, the graphics difference between Wii and 360/Ps3 are really not that far off and considering the gameplay inprovements the Wii has the 360 and PS3 are like dinosaurs. Wiiconnect24 also goes back to gameplay, if someone sends you a message the automatic connection will get the message and your friends can still interact with your profile, and possibly you through the internet at your friends house in future games(animal crossing for example). yes computers are better for surfing internet and have more options for pictures, but the Wii does this superfast especially since its always partially on, no need to wait for boot-up and loading of programs, flash memory is superfast and the boot-up is already done. maybe in 2007 they will release a poor version that is missing all you want out but probably not.

I understand that the graphics would never be identical to the PS3 or XBox360. I still feel that the graphics on the old Xbox were pretty great, but I would have preferred the gap between the systems be closed a little bit. And when I think of these extra features, I think that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Here's what I do know: The video game industry has been about GAMES. Good games sell consoles. Good games include nice looking games, intuitive games, fun games. In NO WAY does the videogame industry have to do with surfing the net or creating avatars are sending pictures back and forth... That's all nonsense to me.

Thoes arent issues, why not mii and channel and web browser? then you dont gotta get up and and like wait for your comp to boot up, thoes are just things fthat you have a problem with, ive never heard anyone have a problem with any since their extras. BEGGERS CANT BE CHOOSERS GOD DAMN IT

JVIPER82 said:
I understand that the graphics would never be identical to the PS3 or XBox360. I still feel that the graphics on the old Xbox were pretty great, but I would have preferred the gap between the systems be closed a little bit. And when I think of these extra features, I think that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Here's what I do know: The video game industry has been about GAMES. Good games sell consoles. Good games include nice looking games, intuitive games, fun games. In NO WAY does the videogame industry have to do with surfing the net or creating avatars are sending pictures back and forth... That's all nonsense to me.
i dont think what u said cost a lot of money anyway. look at zelda and red steel. they are looking pretty good. im sure the graphics will be good enough

ghghgh14702 said:
First the Miis are part of gameplay, you use them in Wii sports, warioware, Wii play and other possible nintendo games, I like the Mii system, the internet is for people who do not have access to the internet and also so you can surf on your tv, not everyone has tv ouput, the channels are there to sort through you stuff better, the speaker adds depth of sound and can be used for gameplay improvement, the graphics difference between Wii and 360/Ps3 are really not that far off and considering the gameplay inprovements the Wii has the 360 and PS3 are like dinosaurs. Wiiconnect24 also goes back to gameplay, if someone sends you a message the automatic connection will get the message and your friends can still interact with your profile, and possibly you through the internet at your friends house in future games(animal crossing for example). yes computers are better for surfing internet and have more options for pictures, but the Wii does this superfast especially since its always partially on, no need to wait for boot-up and loading of programs, flash memory is superfast and the boot-up is already done. maybe in 2007 they will release a poor version that is missing all you want out but probably not.

I know what the intentions of the extra features are for. I still feel that it's extra fluff. For instance... who is going to have broadband internet running into their homes IF they already Don't have computer access?? To me, the Miis are still useless. It does not change gameplay. They just look different. Seems silly to me. If you're playing with a Mii in Wii Sports, it doesn't matter what it ends up looking like. It's all the same. To me, it's a time waster. And WiiConnect24... Maybe I'm old school, but if I'm not playing my videogame system, the thing should be off. If I'm not playing videogames, I don't want messages from people asking me to play! If I wanted to play, I'd be playing! And if someone wants to talk to me about something other than games... call me on the phone! (people have phones, don't they?)

I'm just one of these people that wants a device for what it's original purposes are. And it seems to me Nintendo is following in the footsteps of these other consoles in this regard in that they are adding extra stuff that really doesn't affect the gameplay.

I'm someone that wants a cellphone to make phone calls. I don't want to go on the internet. I don't want to take pictures on a crappy little camera. I don't want to play music, watch movies, attach myself to Tivo, etc. I want to make calls. With my Wii, I want to play good games.

Ok i might sound stupid by saying this but i didn't know you had half those things in it lmao...just that informed me alot on the wii and well im actuly happy to see does things in... however, i am someone that needs to see good graphics...so in a small kinda way im with you on this but still im pretty sure the graphics are going to be way better then the gamecube and thats what im hoping for...and the thing with the wiimote and stuff bieng in the box...IM 100% With you on that!!! Sorry to any wii sports fan or anything!!

Sovieto said:
Thoes arent issues, why not mii and channel and web browser? then you dont gotta get up and and like wait for your comp to boot up, thoes are just things fthat you have a problem with, ive never heard anyone have a problem with any since their extras. BEGGERS CANT BE CHOOSERS GOD DAMN IT

There's no such thing as "extras". There's no such thing as "free" either. Do you think Nintendo arbitrarily picked a price point of their systems, games, accessories? No... it's based on the cost of production, the costs of design, plus profits.

It costs money to put software together. It costs money to go through prototypes and testing. Everything costs money, and that is reflected in the price of the system. If those things were included AND the graphics were improved, fine... but what would nintendo do? They would raise the price of the console!

I was just trying to think of ways to keep the price reasonably close to the same as it is now (by getting rid of the supurfluous stuff) and adding what I felt was more important to gaming.

JVIPER82 said:

They aren't for playing blu-ray and hd dvd either if you want to look at it that way. Wii has Wii channels which other consoles don't have and could be useful to many people and if you don't like them don't use them. WiiConnect24 can also send you bonus content for video games like new characters, new levels, weapons, or stages.

Last edited:
Ya know, I've personally really gotten tired of amazing graphics. Yes, I know that sounds nuts, but just let me explain.

I go to IGN and I check out every single section; PC, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, DS, Wii. Other than the DS and Wii, all have previews and reviews of games that are packed with bump-mapping and particle effects and physics and blah blah BLAH! Everything is shiny and textured to death and guess what, except for a few, none of them really look real. Half-life 2 is really the only game that could be mistaken for real life. Almost every other game I see, I would never say "Woah! That's a video game? I thought that was a sci-fi movie! Are you serious, that's really a video game! I can't believe it!" It's not that these games don't look good or aren't getting close to photo-realism, but they still aren't there and most likely won't be til the next gen or next next gen.

All the FPSs are just looking the same, simply with different characters and weapons and worlds. I mean, look at Spore! Sorry, but there is no other game as anticipated as that game and guess what, it doesn't look nor try to look real. However, I hate when people say it's ALL ABOUT GAMEPLAY! If it were, then blind people would be able to play games. Graphics are very important in illustrating the story that's being told. What if the movie Saving Private Ryan or Scarface were recorded using a RAZR cellphone? They wouldn't have the impact and they wouldn't take you there.

I think the best console game I've ever seen is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for Xbox. It's simply amazing how real that game looks and feels and sounds. Wii will have graphics atleast that good or better. That's good enough for me.

*EDIT* Just look at these new screens of Red Steel.

rayman-blog-20060928055142148.jpg

rayman-blog-20060928055142726.jpg

rayman-blog-20060928055143273.jpg

Last edited:
JVIPER82 said:
There's no such thing as "extras". There's no such thing as "free" either. Do you think Nintendo arbitrarily picked a price point of their systems, games, accessories? No... it's based on the cost of production, the costs of design, plus profits.

It costs money to put software together. It costs money to go through prototypes and testing. Everything costs money, and that is reflected in the price of the system. If those things were included AND the graphics were improved, fine... but what would nintendo do? They would raise the price of the console!

I was just trying to think of ways to keep the price reasonably close to the same as it is now (by getting rid of the supurfluous stuff) and adding what I felt was more important to gaming.

An extra is something that dosent HAVE to be there but it is for more fun more enjoyment and what not. So they are extras. Does it need Channels for the Wii to run? Nope. Thanks for replying to my post, it makes me feel that i accomplished by getting something through to you. And duh everything costs money? Did i say something about money??
No I wasnt..why were you talking about that?

Jesus, I haven't seen those screenies before Nate. Those look bloody excellent. If ever a screenshot would change my mind about the power of the Wii in terms of graphics, it's those. I now have absolutely NO doubts about purchasing Red Steel on release.

Flip said:
Jesus, I haven't seen those screenies before Nate. Those look bloody excellent. If ever a screenshot would change my mind about the power of the Wii in terms of graphics, it's those. I now have absolutely NO doubts about purchasing Red Steel on release.
they are new. and those are the small pics. big ones look cool.

Those Red Steel pics are fupping amazing. Off to ign to have a proper nosey at those now :D.

- The Opera internet browser (c'mon... computers are much better for surfing the net!)
- The Wii Channels (I don't need to turn on my game system to check the weather, news, etc. And who is gonna show photos on the Wii??)

Ill quite happily use those, for quick bursts when I cant be arsed going on the net or sitting through 30 minutes of a news channel to finally show what I want to see.

Wiiconnect24 seems a good idea to me so that updates are ready to go soon as you want to play instead of messing about when you start up.

Back