Wii on side stand question

warthogfan

WiiChat Member
May 1, 2012
Australia
I just bought a second hand wii and it came with no instructions. I just downloaded the instructions from the nintendo site. In the system set-up section, it says, IMPORTANT: To avoid damage to the Wii console, do not place it on
its side. My question, is if that is the case, why does it come with a stand that you can only use if it's sideways? Just wanted to know if people use the sideways stand safely? Any help would be appreciated.

Newer Wii models aren't supposed to be placed on their side, or so I've heard. I suppose this confirms it.

I'm guessing that since you have a used Wii, it's of the older model where placing it horizontal or vertical doesn't really matter; though, placing the Wii horizontal with older models is probably smarter, believe it or not.

You'll know if the model is older or not if it still plays Gamecube games, what with the newer Wii lacking backwards compatibility with said games.

It's a black one rather than white. I was under the black ones are newer ones. I was going to talk to nintendo support to ask them, but couldn't find a link.

Ahh, I don't recall whether or not the black ones were around prior to the new Wii model...

Can help with that link, though. Here's all the contact info for Ninty Australia.

Just rang them, and the serial number on the machines is different between the old and new systems. Mine is the old one. WOOT, I can stand it up now, and save some room. Tnx all.

Back