Wii outputting non-standard component/composite video?

jbarbose

WiiChat Member
Jan 20, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I've tried hooking up my Wii to my home theater receiver (a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi) via a component video Wii adapter as well as the composite video adapter that comes standard with the Wii, but the receiver does not register that any signal is being passed to it.

This was also the case with when I tried to hook up my brother's Wii last year to a Sony home theater receiver.

In both cases, both composite video and component video connections, when plugged directly into the HDTV, worked just fine, but NEVER when plugged into a home theater receiver.

Which means I'm stuck having to reach for a different remote to change a different set of inputs and whenever I want to use the Wii, as opposed any of the other boxes--including a PS3--that I have hooked up to my home theater setup.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It would have been so much nicer in the first place, even if the Wii doesn't actually output HD, if there were a Wii->HDMI adapter. Far less cable management, easier instructions for most people, audio and video in one cable, etc. etc. etc.

I used my Wii with component video cables with two different receivers and had no problems with either of them.

What is the video output from the receiver to the TV? Is it also component, or something else? Some receivers cannot convert an incoming signal of one type into an output signal of a different type. On my older Yamaha receiver, it would accept the Wii's component signal but only output it through the receiver's component output.

Back