Wii Scratching game disks?

ghaleon

WiiChat Member
Oct 24, 2010
Our Wii has been dropped a few times off a low table by the kids..... games are generally playing fine, but there is a rather loud buzzing/grinding sound when any games is being played.

Recently, on a few disks, there are long, curved scratches that follow the curve of the disk. For a couple games, they wont boot up anymore bc of the scratches.

Is the Wii the culprit behind these scratches?

After doing some reading, it looks like the disk drive is the problem? Is there something I can realign myself inside the Wii? Would repairing it be cheaper than buying a new one?

This thing is way past the warranty, and I'm not afraid to try and repair it myself... I'm quite handy with electronics.

I know there are a number of resources on the web which explain how to replace Wii components. However, I believe it is only $85 to send it into Nintendo for repair, which I would recommend over anything else.

Check if the fan is moving, that might be making the noise if its not.

I've had this problem with that noise and it never scratched my disks. I just let it rest for 2 days and it was fine.( noise free)

There can be a possibilty of Damage like parts coming loose to where they slice into the disc while its playing. Try Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700 and see if its cheaper than paying $200 for a new one or to repair it yourself at a risk.

Back