Wii Set-Up Impressions

Neuro

Cyberpunk
Nov 5, 2006
Ohio
DSC03217.JPG

Brian Crecente at Kotaku.com said:
With the exception of one bit of stupidity on my part, setting the Wii up on my television was relatively easy.

The console comes with that odd grey stand that slants it upward, a little clear plastic thingie you snap on the bottom to make it more stable, the power and AV cables and a Sensor bar.

I was most worried about the sensor bar. Fortunately the thin wire it uses to hook up to the back of the console is fairly long. I decided to hook the thing up to the top of my television and it pretty much blends right in with the TV itself. I'm not a huge fan of applying anything to a $3,000 television with double-sided tape, but at least once it's there it's not obtrusive.

Once I hooked everything up I turned on the Wii for the first time.. and it didn't work. I played around with the remote, I checked the VGA plugs, I tried re-syncing the controller but it just wouldn't let me get past the first screen. Then I realized I had forgotten to plug the sensor bar into the back of the Wii. Doh!

Once the system boots up you have to enter a little bit of info, much like with the DS, but thanks to the Remote, it's pretty quick.

I can't check out the new, weather or store yet, but the rest of the interface feels fairly slick. Moving back and forth between things does have a bit of a learning curve, mostly because there's no routine to fall back on. So often you have to click on an onscreen icon. But I'm sure that's will be easy to adjust to.

I'll be posting plenty more impression, videos and pictures throughout the day, so make sure to keep checking back.

DSC03219.JPG

DSC03220.JPG

DSC03221.JPG

Source: Wii Set-Up Impressions - Kotaku

Back