Wii WiFi speeds.

Razoola

The Number Cruncher
Dec 24, 2006
Finland
Wii Online Code
3540-3735-3301-6002
I just wonder what sort of speeds you guys are getting updates and browsing with your Wii's via the wifi connection. I seem to be having some troubles. For example the updates to the console took like 7 minutes each (is that normal?). When I do a speed test through the browser Im being reported a speed the is equal to about ISDN even though the wii is next to the router (for testing) and I have a 8/1 ADSL line. It seems when I load a large picture into the browser from some webpage that the starts loading fast but instantly slows for some reason I dont understand. Using a laptop with wireless (not on at the same time as I test the wii) I get full bandwidth over the wireless connection (on the same speed test) so I know its not the router acting up.

Some feedback on this could be helpfull as to the speeds people are getting with the Wii's wifi connection using the internet browser to some speed test site.

Raz

I believe the speed should be pretty equal to what we get from our laptops. Since the wireless chip in the WII is a 54g chip. So we should be getting around 22mbps.

domkstaa said:
I believe the speed should be pretty equal to what we get from our laptops. Since the wireless chip in the WII is a 54g chip. So we should be getting around 22mbps.

Nah, it's slower for some reason. Must just be the nature of the best or the browser or something. Downloads do great for me, but the web browser seems slow. I don't plan on sitting around and browsing the net for hours on my Wii anyways, kinda pointless.

iplaywii said:
Nah, it's slower for some reason. Must just be the nature of the best or the browser or something. Downloads do great for me, but the web browser seems slow. I don't plan on sitting around and browsing the net for hours on my Wii anyways, kinda pointless.

How long did it take for a single firmware update?

Raz

domkstaa said:

The Wii is 802.11b, not g.

Make sure you are using a clear channel on your WiFi router. My Wii gets updates relatively quickly.

Some channels which bear noise will appear to have high signal strength but your performance will still suck because of error correction.

SuperH said:
Make sure you are using a clear channel on your WiFi router. My Wii gets updates relatively quickly.

Some channels which bear noise will appear to have high signal strength but your performance will still suck because of error correction.

What I need is some sort of time scale.... Maybe some people can try the following url in the opera browser and report back the speed result. The actual speedtest is the yellow link half way down the page (Its in Sweden btw).

http://speedtest.raketforskning.com

From what I see happening on mine, the test starts quickly but slows quite much as the blue progress bar reaches the end for some reason.

Raz

I have seen one video of a teardown of the Wii. They say 'broadcom BCM4318' is the chip and its a 'b' standard. However looking up that chip with google its clear its actually a 'g' standard so to be honest I dont have much trust in the teardowns I have seen. Can you give me a link to one that you are sure is correct that states is 'b' and not both or 'g'?

Raz

i've just ran an online speed test one on my server and one on the wii through the wireless the results were

Server:
Down / 6769kbps
Up / 364kbps

Wii
Down / 1696kbps
Up / 225kbps

judging by the results i would say that the download speed on the wii was too fast for it to be a wireless B connection, although if im wrong am sure someone will let me kno :lol:

Coincidently the page i used was speedtest.net the front end of the applet was flash and ran REALLY badly on the Opera beta hope they have it fixed in the release version :wtf:

Razoola said:
I have seen one video of a teardown of the Wii. They say 'broadcom BCM4318' is the chip and its a 'b' standard. However looking up that chip with google its clear its actually a 'g' standard so to be honest I dont have much trust in the teardowns I have seen. Can you give me a link to one that you are sure is correct that states is 'b' and not both or 'g'?

Raz

Correct. The Mitsumi DWM-W004 is really a copy of the Broadcom BCM4318. While the Broadcom device is b/g, they haven't developed g drivers for linux yet. It is possible a future Wii update will enable 802.11g once Broadcom gets off their ass (the entire Linux community has been frustrated wit their slow progress on drivers), but for now it's just b which is why Nintendo says you've got to enable mixed-mode on your AP.

Back