Wii won't go Widescreen w/ component cables

largeeyes

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2006
I have a 60" 2005 Sony SXRD television. I have some wii component cables(not Nintendo brand)..in fact, they are these....here.

Problem is, when I go in and change the settings to Widescreen and resolution to 480p, nothing happens. Everything is still cut off on the left and right. Something seems wrong here.....it should be noted that the picture comes through just fine as 480i.....Any ideas?

Are your cables connected directly to the television or is it taking a detour through another reciever before actually entering the television, try hooking it up to a reciever, i.e. your DVD player or something then from the DVD player to the television, tell me how it goes.

Tried it both ways. I had it running into my Harmon Kardon receiver, just like my Xbox 360(which has absolutely no problems in widescreen, btw). Just for the sake of trying, I ran it directly into the TV as well, with no luck. The picture displays just fine in 4:3, however. I'm quite confused.

Your TV needs set to "FULL".

This is likely the case on your composite input. You need to make sure the component input is "FULL" as well.

The Nintendo Wii "stretches" things vertically so that the aspect ratio is wrong at 4:3 in widescreen. You need to restretch it horizontally (I.E., set the TV to "FULL")

SuperH said:
Your TV needs set to "FULL".

This is likely the case on your composite input. You need to make sure the component input is "FULL" as well.

The Nintendo Wii "stretches" things vertically so that the aspect ratio is wrong at 4:3 in widescreen. You need to restretch it horizontally (I.E., set the TV to "FULL")

My TV changes to whatever the signal is. I haven't once had to change the aspect ratio on this TV(unlike my parents older HDTV where you do have to manually keep it from stretching things or to get it to properly display widescreen. Like I said, the 360 output is set to the same thing and the picture is gorgeous.

Another reason to buy the Nintendo branded cables. Not sure if it would fix your problem but, if you call customer service, they're going to say that it could be a problem. Basically right now, it sounds like you are playing with a composite signal with component cables. Does the quality at least increase when you switch to 480p? If not, I would say it's the cables.

Hey tell you what, I'll be going to my friend's house this Sunday and she has the same TV as you do, so if you still haven't figured it out by then, I'll tell you if it occurs with the same problem as well and what not.

I've got the MadCatz Component Cable for my Wii hooked up and I have no issues displaying everything in widescreen format on my 42in Plasma HDTV. Make sure your TV is set to display 16:9 and 480p resolution & Widescreen Display Type is selected on your Wii.

If you STILL have issues, I don't know what the solution would be.

largeeyes said:
My TV changes to whatever the signal is. I haven't once had to change the aspect ratio on this TV(unlike my parents older HDTV where you do have to manually keep it from stretching things or to get it to properly display widescreen. Like I said, the 360 output is set to the same thing and the picture is gorgeous.

That's exactly it though, the 360 outputs a 16:9 signal.

The Wii outputs a widescreen image, but it outputs it in 4:3 format. It still needs stretched.

The actual output is 4:3 -- it needs stretched to make it 16:9.

Here's a test: The little message indicator in the Wii menu should be a circle. I bet you see it as an oval -- vertically taller than it is horizontal, when the Wii is set to widescreen. It should be a circle.

Oh, and you should ensure these two settings:
1. 480p
2. Widescreen

Last edited:
Back