wiimote range

Solard

WiiChat Member
Jan 13, 2007
I was wondering the wii motes range? and more specifically can you play the wii off to the side of the TV? I'd hate to have to play directly in front of the TV cause i have no couches/chairs there. (i searched but didnt find anything & was kind of in a rush :( )

I have a 50" tv and according to some the bigger the tv the shorter the range but I have also noticed that some games have shorter ranges than other such as Farcry but typically for me its about 9 feet. I play at a slight angle as well but its not very drastic so I'm not sure if that helps. How much to the side would you be playing?

meh, been said before.

If bluetooth, you could be behind the tv for all I care. Probably 50 ft or so WITH obstructions.

If sensor bar, 1-25ft. or so. And that is with NO interference.

Some games seem to want you to be close. DBZ:BT2 says "please sit closer" when using the remote until you're sitting like 6 ft away from the tv, it's annoying because I end up sitting on my coffee table while playing...

Where to stand/sit...

Whatever works for you is the way to go. HOWEVER, the setup manual states that the sensor bar should be parallel with the screen and in the center. It also states that for BEST operation, the operator should be directly in front of the TV.

That would leave me to believe that IF you are not centered, unless you compensate, your play will be offset to on side you are on. On page 23 of the setup guide, it shows an angle of play of about 45 degrees with the point of the angle starting with the center of the bar. It also states that the recommended "play" distance is 3'-10'.

angle doesn't matter too much, as most people don't point DIRECTLY at the screen. It's all relative.

And why not just sit farther away from your tv and move the sensor bar? It's what I do when I go play on my 65"......Feels perfectly natural.

I like the idea of moving the bar closer. maybe now I'll put the bar on the coffee table when I play DBZ:BT2 instead of having to sit closer for some strange reason.

Are there any other games that 'make' you sit closer?

Back