Wii's Temperature - Hot!

Vanquish23

Supahstar
May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Wii Online Code
8617-4848-0755-6983
Hey fellow Wii users,

When you guys opt to turn WiiConnect 24 "ON", do all of your systems become quite warm, almost on the verge of hot?

I found WiiConnect 24 to be pretty useful in terms of the instant weather access and news information, but if it's going to be chugging the system's power like that and heat up, I fear it'll reduce the system's life or stability.

So does anyone else's Wii get hot when you turn it on, or is it just mine.

if your worried get one of those cool looking blue things that cool your wii (only if its standing up though)

The Wii is supposed to get slightly warmer after a couple hours of gameplay. After if it gets even hotter, after playing 3+ hours, then turn it off and let it cool.

paintba||er said:
Ya, they get slightly warm, and it is normal. I definitely wouldn't worry about a Wii overheating...

You've obviously not had to return a wii then due to overheating. Overheating causes the graphics card to malfunction resulting in "artifacts" on the display.

Happened to me & many others. Thought to be caused by WiiConnect24 as the fan doesn't switch on when on standby. I've now got a new wii & make sure i turn it off at the mains after playing

FR. said:
The Wii is supposed to get slightly warmer after a couple hours of gameplay. After if it gets even hotter, after playing 3+ hours, then turn it off and let it cool.

No that's not it, it stays perfectly cold when its on, because of the fan, but when its on standby, it heats up

It is true that it heats up more at standby with Connect24 on than game play. The fan helps to drop a few degree in this condition while it is not neceesary otherwise. I got one for $10 and I am happy with it. Without the fan, the surface temperature may go above 50C at standby.

When I left it on for about 30 hours or so it was hot (connect24). I just unplug my Wii every time I've finished with it just to be safe :)

Yeah Nintendo needs to release a Firmware upgrade (knowing the System can read temperatures) Like when the System is in Stand-by when it gets a Certain Degrees the fan will knock on and cool it off and then cut back off. For now i took my laptop cooler that i used and placed it under the system. When it is in Stand-by mode i cut on the fans and it keeps it very cool and them i cut it back off when the system is in use.

It gets hot because of Wifi. When you turn WiiConnect24 on, it turns on the Wii's Wifi system, and this system doesn't turn off even when your Wii is on standy.

Perhaps you should get a USB fan for your Wii. My friend got one off of http://us.emvee.ca/ for $15 shipped I believe.

Back