Will an airport metal detector harm my Wii?

27bluenote

WiiChat Member
Jan 2, 2008
Hello everyone. This may be a dumb question but I will be going on vacation next week and I was wondering if passing my Wii through an airport metal detector could damage it in any way.

Would there be a reason that you wouldn't check your baggage instead? Unless you need your wiimote with you on the plane, I wouldn't carry it on. I would throw it in your suitcase and have it safely (hopefully) in the baggage return when you get to your destination. That way, you won't have to awkwardly remove a wiimote from your backpack when they can't figure out what's setting off the alarm lol.

my only concern is they way the airlines throw suitcases around. I would rather bring it in my carry-on. It's almost like the luggage workers loading airplanes have competitions on how far and hard they can throw luggage.

plus, they use an xray machine on luggage too. I was just wondering if I would be better off leaving it at home.

The Wii should be safe with the X-Ray machine....it doesnt have any photo-sensitive parts (atleast in my knowledge) that may harm it. You'll just have to take it out of the bag and place separately on the tray while going through security. If you can, taking it in the carry-on is a good idea because of mishandling of checked-in luggage and also there have been some incidents of Wii's being stolen from people's luggage.

the wii would be fine and anyway they ask you as u approach "does anyone have a laptop, camera or any other devices" so just tell u have it and it will be fine.

do you still have the box? if so.. put it inside the box and then put packing peanuts and clothes aroud it for padding. If u dnt have the box buy one of those traveling cases for it and pack it in your suitcase that way.

Why are you taking wii on holiday in first place? :sick:

27bluenote said:
got me there Cpt. McCloud, I am addicted to it!:crazy:

I recommend leaving the wii at home and taking a portable console in your hand held luggage. Bring a DS or PSP:yesnod:

seriously whatever you do, don't put it in your luggage. i travel all the time & see how the throw around suit cases, i've had plenty of them broken, when they are suppose to be durable.

plus you take the risk of someone stealing it. if you really need to bring it with you just take it with you on the plane. I'd say put the wii motes & all the games & accessories in your suitcase. that way your whole bag isn't completely full with all your wii stuff. when one of the people ask you if you have a lap top, camera or any other devices just take it out & explain to them it's a wii. I don't see how it would be damaged.

Good luck! & have fun on vaca, with or without your wii. =]

don't risk it, unless your bringing it for a seriously important reason, its alot to worry about and it'll sorta ruin your vacation. Enjoy it without your wii.

Back