Wireless N

B1zZy B

WiiChat Member
Jan 8, 2007
As of right now, a linksys wireless N router is not compatible with a nintendo wii. i was wondering if anyone knows about a possible update so it will be compatible. It just didnt make sense to me that its compatible with G, A, and B, but not N.

wireless N requires an upgraded type of hardware i believe, so a simple firmware upgrade would not do the trick. i think wirelss-G is okay for me. even though N has like mucho range-o

Wireless N will probably be supported a year from now. If you want that support it would require new hardware and not just software upgrade. I believe the next generation of WII's would come out with new wireless chip.

802.11n is not official yet, it is still in the testing phase. Any "n" routers like the ones from Linksys, Belkin, and others, are "draft n", meaning they support the current test version of 802.11n. This current version has a lot of backwards compatibility issues with b/g networks. When the official version is ratified, the current "n" routers might be upgradable, and might not. If not, you get to toss them in the garbage.
Whether they solve the backwards compatibility problems or not, we'll have to see.

The issue isn't a Wii issue, it's the router companies trying to make quick cash by putting out what is essentially beta hardware. Either way, you'd have to run the N router in compatibilty/mixed mode for the wii to be able to connect.

Back