Wireless Sensor Bar and Wireless Networks?

RobinsNest

WiiChat Member
Mar 10, 2008
I joined the Wii-nation this weekend and am interested in the Wireless Sensor bar, due to the configuration of my HT.

My questions is that the specs I see for the WSB are that it runs on 2.4Ghz. Does this interfere with my wireless network (802.11b/g)? Does the microwave mess it up?

Wireless sensor bar? As in the third-party ones you can buy? They don't run on any frequency, they're basically just some infrared LEDs and a battery.

they are just lights... the bar that came with the wii is brighter (10bulbs) and doesn't need batteries every so often. (Nyko wireless sensor bar has 4bulbs)

the sensor bar projects light for the remote to "sense".... you can do the same with a coupe candles. :)

Wow, talk about me losing faith in Nyko if they can't be honest with their specifications.

That wireless sensor bar is about as 2.4GHz as my "wireless" coffee mug.

Take if from the others who have said it already. I'll back them up: the wireless sensor bars out on the market are just IR LEDs with batteries. Like a flashlight. The IR camera on the nose of the Wii remote picks this up and determines orientation from their position.

So let me get this straight......

The "sensor bar" sends out IR signals which signals are received by the controllers. The controllers then interpret the signals and send (bluetooth?) signals back to the box. Thus, there is no communication from the sensor bar to the box. Is this correct?

Then, why is the sensor bar called a SENSOR bar, when it does not sense anything???

RobinsNest said:
Huh? Is this info wrong:

"Infrared technology detects pointer and motion movements up to 25' away. 2.4 GHz wireless technology with a range of 30'. Perfect for home theater set ups withwall mounted TVs or complicated cabling."

(from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878112002)

u didn't read it correctly.

there is a period after 25' away.

and 2.4 GHz wireless technology is referring to the built in wireless card.

by the way the wiimote uses bluetooth to connect to the wii.

~X

RobinsNest said:

The "sensor bar" sends out IR signals which signals are received by the controllers. The controllers then interpret the signals and send (bluetooth?) signals back to the box. Thus, there is no communication from the sensor bar to the box. Is this correct?

Completely correct.

Then, why is the sensor bar called a SENSOR bar, when it does not sense anything???

Well.. hmm.. how about this: It's a bar that's part of the overall Wii sensor system? I dunno... What else would be a good name?

RobinsNest said:

Pretty much. It's not so much a "signal" as it is just two bright IR dots which are then picked up by the IR camera "eye" on the remote, which can then determine orientation/position info by their location on the sensor's eye.

Nintendo confusion. Along the same lines that Nintendo calls online "wifi", despite wifi != online. You can be online without wifi, and you can use wifi without being online.

Nintendo just likes to confuse people with their own made-up terminology.

X@vier said:
u didn't read it correctly.

there is a period after 25' away.

and 2.4 GHz wireless technology is referring to the built in wireless card.

by the way the wiimote uses bluetooth to connect to the wii.
He read it just fine. That is in the specifications for the Nyko third-party IR bar. There's no reason for there to be any mention of the Wii's specifications in those of the IR bar. It's incorrect and misleading.

Back