Won't work on certain TVs!

StevoP

WiiChat Member
Dec 20, 2006
Hi, I just bought my Wii yesterday, and I first played it at a friends house on a slightly older TV.

Anyway, I take it home, and plug it into my LCD tv screen, and I'm getting nothing but blue AV screen when I try run it. I plug it into another one of our TVs, but I'm getting the same thing! It's not picking up anything on either TV.

But when I take it to our 3rd TV, which is slightly more budget than the other two, everything seems to work fine.

Is there some kind of setting I need to change to make it work on the other TVs?

I've just purchased my Wii, and at the minute it seems to be working fine with my projection TV. However, at the end of the month I'm going to go and buy a 42" Samsung LCD jobbie so it would be nice to know if the console has problems running on certain TVs!

Someone must have an answer!

Does the Wii automatically detect and implement TV settings on the first time of it's use? What I'm saying is could the settings be saved to my friends type of TV, and not mine?

The cable is definately inserted properly. I'm doing the exact same thing on all 3 TVs, yet it only works on 1.

Some tv's won't may not display the resolution of the wii. A lot of Higher end tv' only go as low as 720i. The wii is way down at 480i. Look at whether or not your tv will display that resolution.

If that is the case, what can I do to fix it?

do you have a VCR or something? try connecting your wii to that, then the vcr to your old tv.

Bigsam4 said:
Some tv's won't may not display the resolution of the wii. A lot of Higher end tv' only go as low as 720i. The wii is way down at 480i. Look at whether or not your tv will display that resolution.

Practically all TV's (anything that can receive/display an analog TV broadcast signal) will display an interlaced picture at 480.

A common problem is that people who have TVs with multiple inputs set up a device and set it to a channel, say 'AV' but don't realise that the device may be on AV2 or AV3.

I have a 26" LCD TV that has 3av inputs, 2 component inputs, an analog TV aerial, a DVI input and a separate serial VGA input. I thought my dvd player wasn't working once until I realised I had two component channels.

Read the TV manual :D Make sure you are in the right Input, and also have the colored cables in the right spot :)

I have definately checked the correct inputs, and every possible thing it could be, but I'm still not getting any picture!

Bigsam4 said:
if that was the case a Tv with only minimum 720i then the TV and the Wii wil drop in stardard def.

The Wii outputs the same signal no matter what monitor it hooks up to. It doesn't "sense" anything about the TV through a video cable, LMAO (technologically impossible).

It sounds like you are plugging a set of composite cables into the wrong ports of a TV with component inputs if it only works on "old" TV's. Component delivers the video over three cables instead of compositing them into one.

Whatever the problem may be, unless your Wii specifically is defective, the issue is on your end. The Wii outputs composite video (or component, if you have the proper cables) just like any other device, it doesn't discriminate.

B.E.D.

Comonent
Composite
maybe that will help u figure out which is which because u probably put the component cables with only one in the right spot and 2 in the stereo audio port lol. try again, they could be color coded.

Same deal

I was getting the same results as the other user, blue screen.

Turned out I had a bad piece of coax between the VCR and the TV.

You might also make sure you don't have the 3 Y/R/W cable plugged into "Output" on your VCR rather than "Input", I had heard of some other users that had the blue screen problem, and that was the cause.

This link helped me go thru a complete setup check...

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/setupAV.jsp

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back