Worth getting GC games for Wii

GC8

WiiChat Member
Aug 19, 2007
Minnesota
Wii Online Code
8760-3751-4820-7981
I dont have a GC and was wondering if it's worth spending $15-$20 on a controller and however much it is for different games. I was thinking about getting Super Smash Bro. Meelee basically because I have never played a SSB game and everyone is obsessing over SSBB so I figured maybe I would prepare by playing meelee. I backed out at the last second because I dont want to spend $50 when I will be spending $80 on sunday for GH3.

So basically...is it worth getting a GC controller for my wii? If I do...I was wondering how long the cords are because I want to know if I should get a wireless one or not.

GC8 said:
I dont have a GC and was wondering if it's worth spending $15-$20 on a controller and however much it is for different games. I was thinking about getting Super Smash Bro. Meelee basically because I have never played a SSB game and everyone is obsessing over SSBB so I figured maybe I would prepare by playing meelee. I backed out at the last second because I dont want to spend $50 when I will be spending $80 on sunday for GH3.

So basically...is it worth getting a GC controller for my wii? If I do...I was wondering how long the cords are because I want to know if I should get a wireless one or not.
I would, the GCN had a pretty good library of games it would be stupid not to take advantage of the flawless backwards compatibility.

The wireless GCN controller has no rumble because it was designed a long time ago and they had to take it out for the wirelessness, So I'd go w/ the normal controller, although you may have to put your wii on the floor closer to the couch or whatever.

I would, and personally doing so.

I mean, those who skipped the Cube missed out on a nice library of games, so there is bound to be something worth resurrecting. Not to mention it will give you something to check out while you wait for something else.

I would check out your local GameStop/EBGames, granted there game prices are a bit high however a few decent deals such as there "el-cheapo" Chameleon controller ($12.99) will help shave the expense while you are experimenting. I'd also call your local pawn shops as well if you are worried about dumping $20 bills into Nintendo's controller, and see what pricing they've got on games as well.

GC games can be picked up fairly cheap depending on where you look, and you always have the option to rent them as well. I too never owned a GameCube so I'm rewinding a bit to see what I managed to miss. Might as well, we paid for compatibility we might as well make use of it. :)

and does this mean I need a memory card too?

GC8 said:
and does this mean I need a memory card too?
If you plan on saving your progress, as far as I know the Wii does not allow saving directly to it's memory or SD card when playing GC games.

I am personally planning on trying out the SD Card to GameCube Memory Card converter personally, however they seem kinda hard to come by. Until then if forced to use the GC memory I will. :wtf:

I'd suggest getting one GC game and that would be without a doubt SSBM.

I also suggest that you buy 2-4 controllers because you can't enjoy SSBM with only 1 controller. It's all about multiplayer gaming. On top of that, a memory card is needed. Prices are around:

Controller - $20 each
Memory Card - $15 each
SSBM - $15

k, well I just bought a controller and a memory card both $15...SSBM was $39 though!!!!!

im gonna find one on ebay for cheaper

FR. said:
I'd suggest getting one GC game and that would be without a doubt SSBM.

I also suggest that you buy 2-4 controllers because you can't enjoy SSBM with only 1 controller. It's all about multiplayer gaming. On top of that, a memory card is needed. Prices are around:

Controller - $20 each
Memory Card - $15 each
SSBM - $15

True dat. The single player is fun, but the multiplayer makes it one of the best games in history.

i would not worry about buying SSB. if you really want to practice the game mechanics you can download the original on the virtual console when it comes out, seeing as its pretty much the same with just less characters. as for gamecube games in general there are a ton of really awesome one-player experiences to be had. wind waker, metroid prime, mario sunshine, battallion wars and paper mario: the thousand year door. are all really great games that you just need one remote and one memory card for.

as if ssb is gonna come out on VC, just get melee its definitely worth every cent, i still play it everynow and then too. as for GC all those great games on wii are sequels of succesful GC games like PPM:TTYD>SPM, SSBM> SSMB, TLOZ:WW>LOZTP, MP2>MP3, Super mario sunshine> SMG, MK:DD>MKwii, RE4>RE4wii edition and more.

the chameolon gamecube remotes that gamestop sells are a great deal, very comfortable. and another game you should really get is metroid prime it's only $7.99

Yes! I had a GameCube and since buying a Wii I have picked up two GC games. On Saturday, I picked up a used copy of Battalion Wars for $8.99 at GameStop.

I have Battalion Wars 2 for the Wii and wanted to play the first one before starting the campaign in the new one.

The longer you wait to buy GC stuff the harder it will be to get new or good used components.

I recommend getting:
1. Battalion Wars 1
2. Super Mario Sunshine
3: Zelda: Wind Waker
4. Giest

i say its worth it, they're great games and dirt cheap. since wii came out ive bought at least 8 GC games, live waverace, resident evil 0 & 1. got sonic riders, aggresive inline (ONE OF MY FAVORITES EVER) giest, and skies of arcadia. great stuff, all lest than one $50 game

The Wii had a ton of good games on it. I would suggest getting the WaveBird controller (wireless GCN controller). I had already had the GCN and a controller, but I decided to get the WaveBird just because it was wireless and it didn't get in the way when I was playing. The only downside to it is that you have to use batteries.

Back