Yet Another Component Cables Thread

Wiily Good

WiiChat Member
Oct 28, 2006
Australia
Yes, I know what your thinking, another component cables thread.

I have a 42" Sony Grand Wega.

I'm using Channel 7 for my example here. I'm sure Australian's will know what I am talking about here. '7 Digital' gives its resolution as SD while '7 SD' gives its resolution as 576p. I'm guessing that 7 Digital's resolution is 480p.

I like arty, cartoony graphics. I think that the whole realism thing is defeating the purpose of a video game. Will the component cables make the graphics in games like Wii Sports and Rayman Raving Rabbids better? By better I mean brighter, smoother and crisper.

I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but a lot of threads about component cables have wishy-washy answers. Can someone please give an imformed answer.

Thanks

Wiily Good said:
Yes, I know what your thinking, another component cables thread.

I have a 42" Sony Grand Wega.

I'm using Channel 7 for my example here. I'm sure Australian's will know what I am talking about here. '7 Digital' gives its resolution as SD while '7 SD' gives its resolution as 576p. I'm guessing that 7 Digital's resolution is 480p.

I like arty, cartoony graphics. I think that the whole realism thing is defeating the purpose of a video game. Will the component cables make the graphics in games like Wii Sports and Rayman Raving Rabbids better? By better I mean brighter, smoother and crisper.

I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but a lot of threads about component cables have wishy-washy answers. Can someone please give an imformed answer.

Thanks
Yes. See for yourself:

gamespot cable comparo

I have them and even on my TV that does not support progressive input, meaning I'm still using 480i, the difference is like night and day (ok maybe more like dawn and midday..).

Last edited:
Hey Willy,

Fellow aussie here. I play my Wii on a 42" Samsung plasma. Using the cables that came with the Wii, my games look soft and tiny bit blurry, if you know what i mean. Not bad blurry, just coz it's on a big TV blurry.

After buying the component cables, the pics are clearer, crisper, and you can see straight lines. For e.g. Wii Bowling the lanes are crisper and the edges of the lanes have a definte staright crisp line. You can tell it makes a difference just in Wii Sports. Zelda looks brighter, crisper, etc. I recommend them highly. I took a gamble coz i wasn't sure if the difference was worth $47 (JB Hi-Fi). Go get em.

Based on what you just said, I would have to assume that you kind of already knew the answer to your own question.

Wtf else would be the point to 480p if it wasn't for clearer smoother graphics.

I just didn't really want jagged lines with component cables.

That is what I meant with clearer, smoother graphics.

Component cables fix about everything but jaggies...
you'll see smooth, bright, crisp textures and colors

but because of that jaggies actualy become more noticable...

480i pretty much blurs everything and hides both good-looking textures and bad jaggies... component cables will unmask both

this is just what I've seen on my 60"

vagrant said:
the "jaggies" are going to be there regardless, it's just a part of the graphics.
so am I right in saying that component cables make "jaggies" more noticable?

StevenNevets said:
so am I right in saying that component cables make "jaggies" more noticable?

Well obviously if **** is blurry you aren't going to see anything. So yes, making the picture clearer is naturally going to make the jaggies more visible.

1+1

As far as I know, the ATi GPU in the Wii is similar to the one used in their Radeon series of cards, and all but the *very* early ones have an anti-aliasing feature.

Of course, if you turn AA on then you take a performance hit due to the increased rendering time needed for each frame, so I guess it's down to the people writing the games if they use AA or not.

*AA (anti aliasing) is an effect where a "jaggie" is smoothed by colouring surrounding pixels with an average colour of the pixels either side of it. It really does work, we've had it for years in PC gaming, but it has teh downside of making the overall image a touch less sharp.

Goots said:
As far as I know, the ATi GPU in the Wii is similar to the one used in their Radeon series of cards, and all but the *very* early ones have an anti-aliasing feature.

Of course, if you turn AA on then you take a performance hit due to the increased rendering time needed for each frame, so I guess it's down to the people writing the games if they use AA or not.

*AA (anti aliasing) is an effect where a "jaggie" is smoothed by colouring surrounding pixels with an average colour of the pixels either side of it. It really does work, we've had it for years in PC gaming, but it has teh downside of making the overall image a touch less sharp.
my X1900XT knows all about AA:wink:

I think it's great and prefer it deeply but apparently games will be needing a lot of optimizing before they can use it

Back