You can only use component cables on a HDTV?

itzzbalaez

WiiChat Member
Nov 9, 2006
I have a TV that my parents bought maybe 4 years ago. It isn't as flat as a HDTV, but it's pretty skinny and it has way better picture then the other TV's in my house. I don't know the specs on it, but I'm pretty sure it is 480p (or whatever it is). How would I find out if it supports 480p or what the component cables are for? My dad and mom wouldn't know because they are about as knowledgeable about electronics as my dog. So yea.. thanks.

EDTV or HDTV allows for 480p. %90 of the time if it is HDTV it will have the hdtv logo on the front of the tv. Or a quick way to check, do you even have component inputs on the tv? If you do, then next google your tv and see if it is an EDTV or HDTV.

But if it is a tube crt.....and not a flatscreen....then no, it will not play 480p.

have you tried looking on the back of your tv to see if it had component input ports or what ever you would call them?

EDIT:
lol sorry i didn't read the last post

I have no idea wha component cables look like. Are they the big ass wires?

i took my Wii to a friends house
he just bought a new 42" HDTV Westinghouse
used the bundle RCA's and it looked ok to me
probably nicer with the Component Cables
but i have a crappy tv.......:frown2:

No, component cables aren't only for HDTV. Component cables can be used on any TV that has component inputs. (Red Green Blue phono jacks for video) A Wii will look better using component cables even on a "regular" TV with component inputs.

sracer said:
No, component cables aren't only for HDTV. Component cables can be used on any TV that has component inputs. (Red Green Blue phono jacks for video) A Wii will look better using component cables even on a "regular" TV with component inputs.

he is asking if he can get 480p.

i have an hdpj (high definition projector) and component cables so its gonna look sweet on that christmas morning which is only 17 days and 1 hour away

yes, if your tv has component inputs, by all means use them.

I have a newer regular trueFlat Tv, and i was running my dvd player off of rca cables, but then realized that i had component outputs on my dvd player, so i bought some cables, and man what a difference.
I'm waiting till Wii component cables get a little more common, and till i can get some money to buy mine.

Back