“Active” Gaming No Replacement for Exercise

From the article
But in real life terms, this would in no way be enough to suggest active computer game playing could be a substitute for doing real sport, say the authors.

"These increases were of insufficient intensity to contribute towards recommendations for children's daily exercise."

But they added: "Although this figure is trivial it might contribute to weight management.

"New generation computer games stimulated positive activity behaviours - the children were on their feet and they moved in all directions.

"Given the current prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity, such positive behaviours should be encouraged."

But, I was pointing out that you didn't even read the first post of this thread which mentions the article that you linked to. An article that says what Bumble has been trying to point out.

LoganSix said:
From the article

But in real life terms, this would in no way be enough to suggest active computer game playing could be a substitute for doing real sport, say the authors.

"These increases were of insufficient intensity to contribute towards recommendations for children's daily exercise."

But they added: "Although this figure is trivial it might contribute to weight management.

"New generation computer games stimulated positive activity behaviours - the children were on their feet and they moved in all directions.

"Given the current prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity, such positive behaviours should be encouraged."

But, I was pointing out that you didn't even read the first post of this thread which mentions the article that you linked to. An article that says what Bumble has been trying to point out.

GThwaite said:
The wii can keep you fit, but not get you in shape.

Weight management is keeping you in shape, and yes, that's true. But if you're obese you don't need to bank on the Wii. You need a healthy diet, lots of exercise, and heck, do a round on the Wii. But it's just not an end all solution. Give it up man, the Wii IS NOT an exercise machine. Goto the Gym, play some basketball, go swimming, come home and play the Wii while eating healthy. Not get up in the morning, play on the Wii, get online, eat some snickers and call it a day.

Last edited:
Who said it was an end all for losing weight?

We are just arguing that the Wii can be used as a viable method of exercise, which you seem to agree upon. No, the Wii won't feed you the correct diet. No, you should not just exercise using the Wii. Just like when you lift weights or do other activities at the gym, you just don't do the one thing, you do multiple things and you adjust your diet.

Bumble14 said:
No one here is trying to say "buy a Wii, lose 400 lbs", but results like that are not out of the realm of possibility. The Wii is a phenominal piece of equipment that can help individuals maintain a cardio regimen, burn calories, and stay in shape- IF USED CORRECTLY. Hospitals throughout the United States are currently integrating the wii into physical therapy and rehab programs...to help those with weaknesses in certain areas STRENGTHEN those areas..and some hospitals are actually writing Wii sports specific programs specifically for stroke victims, and others who suffer from paralysis in order to tone and strengthen musle in effected areas (the hospital I work at).

Again, I'm not in here to start arguing with people that have no idea about how the human body works, and think they are experts in all thingsfitnesss because they go to the gym, or are in high school. The bottom line is that the Wii, especially Wii sports, and the upcoming Wii fit, are great ways for people to workout, get some cardio exercise, lose some weight, and get healthy. Every individual reacts to exercise in their own way, and there is no miracle cure for obesity- anything you can do to get exercise is good.

4char

GThwaite said:
Weight management is keeping you in shape, and yes, that's true. But if you're obese you don't need to bank on the Wii. You need a healthy diet, lots of exercise, and heck, do a round on the Wii. But it's just not an end all solution. Give it up man, the Wii IS NOT an exercise machine. Goto the Gym, play some basketball, go swimming, come home and play the Wii while eating healthy. Not get up in the morning, play on the Wii, get online, eat some snickers and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

1.) No one was ever saying it was a be all end all, and that you could be a slob, just play Wii, and lose 500 lbs and get ripped.

2.)Are you actually even reading any of the posts written by people in the pro wii fitness category?

3.) When used effectively, the Wii can give an excellent cardiovascular workout, tone lean muscle tissue, and burn calories. Therefore the Wii is a means to getting exercise- and you are right, it is not technically labled as an "exercise machine", but you can get exercise while using it.

You are not going to play the Wii and get "ripped", because that is obviously the only effect of working out you seem to understand, so you are right in that sense.

Some of the best and most productive workouts I have ever had in my life were done with little more than a towel and another person for resistance training--fitness and workouts are what you make of them, and you can definately get a proper workout with a Wii. Stop raggin on people for finding a means that makes them feel healthy and go lift some weights, or do whatever works for you--I still don't get why you have to tear these people down?

Answer me this:

How is playing the Wii intensly any different from step aerobics?/Tae Bo--both proven as viable means of fitness?

Last edited:
Don't even BEGIN to excuse my hard work and dedication for drugs, Bumble. If you're so all knowing, you would know that that is the biggest insult you could possibly give to a clean lifter. You're a poor excuse for a human being.
LoganSix said:
Puking and stretch marks, good way to sell it. Have fun with that "sport".
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sixteen.

Good thing you asked for an honest answer, otherwise I would have told you I was 27 :rolleyes:

Back