Bricked Wii - what it is and how to avoid it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heradion: When you write a thread like this you have to get your facts straight. Unfortunately you failed. The bricking issue has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL. In fact you can brick an NTSC wii with an NTSC game.

Ill help you out - the gotcha is the region code of your Wii (second character of the serial number).

There must be a way to reflash the thing to make it work again, no? If there isn't yet, maybe soon someone will figure it out.

In the meantime I'll see if I can get a few bricked ones to play around with.. :D

ciper said:
Heradion: When you write a thread like this you have to get your facts straight. Unfortunately you failed. The bricking issue has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL. In fact you can brick an NTSC wii with an NTSC game.

Ill help you out - the gotcha is the region code of your Wii (second character of the serial number).

You are totally right.

ZiG said:
There must be a way to reflash the thing to make it work again, no? If there isn't yet, maybe soon someone will figure it out.

In the meantime I'll see if I can get a few bricked ones to play around with.. :D

This has already been tried. In fact they have even desoldered components from a bricked Wii and replaced them with parts from a good system without success.

ciper said:
This has already been tried. In fact they have even desoldered components from a bricked Wii and replaced them with parts from a good system without success.

Really? Wow. I guess the pathways must be laid out COMPLETELY different.

Do you have a link to an article talking about it or something? I wouldn't mind giving it a read..

Ill do one better, Ill find you the video! brb

edit:God damn youtube! The videos were removed for "terms of use violation"
Ill try to find another copy

Im trying to find the original author of the video. One of them had this descriptiong

This is part 2 of a series of videos documenting our very unsuccessful attempts at unbricking modified WII consoles that got the dreaded super paper mario firmware update.

This is our tech removing the tsop48 firmware chip and reading it in our chip programmer.

The plan was to read the firmware from a brand new working wii, and then reprogram the firmwarechip in the bricked wii.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to make it work, there is some kind of protection causing problems.

All the firmware chips we have tried to read give a "no contact at pin 38" and when we tell the programmer to ignore that pin it will not access 100% of the chip memory.

We tried to flash the dump anyway, but the bricked wii is not even showing any picture now.

Last edited:
Oh, thanks!

That's interesting.. I wonder what kind of 'protection' could cause that no contact message. I was thinking maybe it would have burned something out that is not in the chip, but I guess probably not.

I wonder if each chip has its serial number recorded on it and that would be why flashing from a good wii OR outright replacing the chip wouldn't work...

The group that was attempting all of these different methods posted this on a website... I can't seem to locate it!

One of the coolest pictures I saw was a lead attached to every pin on the memory of the WII and they tried to analyze the date while the system was running. The jumble of wires boggles the mind.

WiiMyHomie said:
Ok, I REALLLLY need some help. Im taking my neighbors Wi-Fi, and they dont know it, but somehow I can send messages, but cant access anything else online... anyone know why?
If you haven't solved it already:
If live in a smaller country (like me, I live in Iceland) but in Europe, just change the country to the UK or France or some big country. Nintendo hasn't made the net accessible for some countries, so just change the Country in "Options".

OK, so if I have a modded PAL Wii, and it has the 2.2E update, then I should have no trouble playing a couple of ripped games [edit - that ask for an update] my brother gave me?

I don't know where the games are from - he's dead so I can't ask him....

How can you tell if a ripped game is PAL or NTSC and does it matter?

Quack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back