Buying a PS3

Nintendo93 said:
Is huger a word? The XBOX 360 is just FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS. I haven't used mine in months. The PS3 is superior at the moment and the upcoming 08 and 09 releases for the PS3 are looking much better than those of the XBOX 360.

RROD isn't rare for the XBOX 360. The failure rate is still relatively high and when Microsoft replaces your XBOX 360, they can just give you the old model which will probably fail on you again in a few days.

OP: The 60GB has full PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility, the 80GB is backwards compatible with most PS2 games and PS1 games and the 40GB is only backwards compatible with PS1 games, not PS2 games.

Who cares if "huger" is a word or not, you know what he meant. If you think 360 is just FPS FPS FPS then you sir are stupid. Also the fact that almost all of PS3 games are on 360 would mean PS3 is "FPS FPS FPS". 360 has a shitload of different genres of games.

RROD isn't rare, that is true. But if Microsoft is dumb enough to replace your 360 with a older model then thats stupidity on them. Seeing as the newer models are cheaper to make and have a lower failure rate. Putting in a old model will just make them spend more money because there's a good chance you will send it back and they have to spend more money replacing it.

60gig isn't even sold anymore so that little info is irrelevant. 80gig does, but like people have already said, its been discontinued... You could get lucky and still find one out there, but they would have to hurry and hope.

There has been no info on the new sku at all it is only a rumour.I would get the 80gb now just in case.
And alittle info on the 40gb
as we all new they are now removing the spiderman 3 blu-ray movie:aureola:

Wait so the new PS3's they are making, theres no model that has compatibility for ps2 games?

in the next few months, there will be an update about the 80gig. because it is assumed that they are going to discontinue the 80gig and have a version with a bigger hard drive.

there has also been rumors that the 40 gig will have a firmware update so that PS2 games will be able to be played. it's only a rumor. however, sony has done some things others didn't think they could do with just a firmware update, so, it's might very well become a reality.

also, another rumor of a price drop. so if i were you, i would wait for a few weeks before purchasing one.

Which models are backwards compatible?
I think that the only model that is not backwards compatible is the 40GB version.

Does NHL 08 use the skill stick?
I am not sure about this one.

Are HDMI cables sold with the system or separately?
You will have to purchase HDMI cables separately. The cables that come with the PS3 are composite cables.

Do rumble controllers come with the system? Can you buy separately?
The controller that is packed with the system is a Sixaxis (motion sensitive, but without rumble). I think you can import a DualShock 3 controller (with rumble) from Japan, as that is the only country it has been released in so far.

arcticreaver said:
in the next few months, there will be an update about the 80gig. because it is assumed that they are going to discontinue the 80gig and have a version with a bigger hard drive.

there has also been rumors that the 40 gig will have a firmware update so that PS2 games will be able to be played. it's only a rumor. however, sony has done some things others didn't think they could do with just a firmware update, so, it's might very well become a reality.

also, another rumor of a price drop. so if i were you, i would wait for a few weeks before purchasing one.

THANKS for the info. Ill try to wait this one out if i can. :D if not ill grab the 80gig version.

Nintendo93 said:
Is huger a word? The XBOX 360 is just FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS. I haven't used mine in months. The PS3 is superior at the moment and the upcoming 08 and 09 releases for the PS3 are looking much better than those of the XBOX 360.

RROD isn't rare for the XBOX 360. The failure rate is still relatively high and when Microsoft replaces your XBOX 360, they can just give you the old model which will probably fail on you again in a few days.

OP: The 60GB has full PS2 and PS1 backwards compatibility, the 80GB is backwards compatible with most PS2 games and PS1 games and the 40GB is only backwards compatible with PS1 games, not PS2 games.

well honestly, all i wanna say is i agree, i feel all xboxes major releases are over and done with and the pswii combo is the future.

also thats incredibly awkward that the 40GB is only backward with ps1.

Earthworm Jim said:
THANKS for the info. Ill try to wait this one out if i can. :D if not ill grab the 80gig version.

yeah i definitely wouldnt mind a ps3 at $300 , sorry for the double post as well.
y'know i dont know why people getbent out of shape about double posting here. i mean triple and quad can be annoying but our reps arent based on post count

arcticreaver said:

Arctic the only thing I would add to your wonderful explanation concerning BC is that Peter Dille, a marketing VP for SONY CEA, talked about making PSN games downloadable briefly in EGM 226. He also said there was a model on the market that had the hardware for BC--but we know the 80 is no longer being supplied. So 08 will surely see another model out with BC.

If the 40s got a firmware update to handle PS2 games, they would be limited--there is a difference with BC and downloading older titles. Compatibility is the compliance of something new with previously manufactured products.

All the more reason why one should wait for a new SKU.

*puts on his noob hat embarassingly* Thanks.

I really wish Too Human was on PS3, then it'd be an easy choice. That and GTA are all I'm really interested in as far as 360/PS3 goes.

Skorp said:
I really wish Too Human was on PS3, then it'd be an easy choice. That and GTA are all I'm really interested in as far as 360/PS3 goes.

Meh.. It looks OK but it does not make it worth throwing down $300+ for a system that could very well die on you.

Im in it for FFXIII (& Versus) but I do love a 3rd person action/adv title. Force Unleashed will have to do :yesnod:

The 40 GB has BC, just not full BC. It can play PS1 games but not PS2 games. I keep seeing people say that it doesn't have BC but this isn't true.

The reason Sony dropped PS2 BC in the 40 GB was because it lowered the cost of producing the console. The benefits of BC didn't outweigh the benefits of having a $400 console on the market. A lot of people aren't willing to shell out $500 for a console. Also, PS2 sold 120 mil consoles. There isn't a dire need for full BC when most people still own a PS2.

controlers with rumble arent out yet, sixaxis got in the way of that at first but dualshock 3's are comign out soon (will be expensive as heck though) and HD cables are sold seperately but for srue worth the purchase, i have them.

Back