Can you explain the low sales of Hardcore Titles

stickmode

WiiChat Member
Feb 4, 2009
Hello, there's some things around the games market that block the good expectations of Third-parties about the low sales of Hardcore mature titles.
First the low sales of titles like Madworld, HOD: Overkill, Dead Raising and now the low sales of GTA:CTW for DS. These sales shocked the market, but the third-parties need to understand that the sales on Nintendo platforms aren't like the xbox360/ps3, the sales of these platforms are very fast and accustom the third-parties to expect sales reaching the million copies the first or the second week the game releases on every console. In the other hand the Nintendo platform sales are slow and take time to reach these goals, this not means the hardcore mature titles won't reach these sales in less than a year, but generally reach the goal a year or take more time. And now becose the economy down-turn the sales are even more slowly. The third-parties need to know this and accustom to sales on long terms in a Nintendo platform.

Nintendo doesn't bother showing them off at all, you remember Disaster? They looked proud of it a couple of years ago, then BAM! They tell us its coming out in a month or something, and when it actually comes out, its limited. Its the same with Madworld.

Madworld,
HOD: Overkill,
Dead Raising
GTA:CTW for DS.
Explainedfor noobs like you

Madworlds low sales
Mainly due to it looking different to most games
Norms wont buy a game thats cartoony in look

HOD OK
I dont think I ever saw a add for it on TV

Dead Rising
Its crap on the Wii

GTA DS
Every body that wants the game has downloaded it
The DSs low games sales is due to this

Hello, there's some things around the games market that block the good expectations of Third-parties about the low sales of Hardcore mature titles.
First the low sales of titles like Madworld, HOD: Overkill, Dead Raising and now the low sales of GTA:CTW for DS. These sales shocked the market, but the third-parties need to understand that the sales on Nintendo platforms aren't like the xbox360/ps3, the sales of these platforms are very fast and accustom the third-parties to expect sales reaching the million copies the first or the second week the game releases on every console. In the other hand the Nintendo platform sales are slow and take time to reach these goals, this not means the hardcore mature titles won't reach these sales in less than a year, but generally reach the goal a year or take more time. And now becose the economy down-turn the sales are even more slowly. The third-parties need to know this and accustom to sales on long terms in a Nintendo platform.

The answer is relatively simple, I think. The audience for Wii is predominantly not hardcore. Those who are in this gamer group have gotten a 360 or PS3 already (and may have even sold their Wiis if they bought one early in the console's life). The result is an upward climb for these third parties to gain the attention of the mainstream and hardcore gamers who have already looked the other way.

It's similar to how multiplatform games usually sell better on 360 than on PS3 in America, despite the fact that PS3 owners are more likely to buy games than 360 owners. The reason has little to do with the games or the consoles...but mainly because more people have a 360 in America. What I'm trying to say is that the problem isn't the product. The actual problem is the current situation with consumers.

Last edited:

Because you keep overrating things and everyone knows that anything you like will be woeful.

Noob.jpg

Some of us are getting tired of the whole "Hardcore" crap that users like you keep whining about. I'll buy the games I want to play.

Madworld = overrated

House of the Dead Overkill- own it, quit bitching. I am not here to drop 200 bucks a month on games for the petty console warz. It would have been worth if it was Sega and we needed to push consoles such as the Saturn or Dreamcast.

Dead Rising = shotty port

GTA: Chinatown Wars- I hate the GTA series.

1233866353088.jpg

Last edited:
Noob.jpg

Some of us are getting tired of the whole "Hardcore" crap that users like you keep whining about. I'll buy the games I want to play.

Madworld = overrated

House of the Dead Overkill- own it, quit bitching. I am not here to drop 200 bucks a month on games for the petty console warz. It would have been worth if it was Sega and we needed to push consoles such as the Saturn or Dreamcast.

Dead Rising = shotty port

GTA: Chinatown Wars- I hate the GTA series.

1233866353088.jpg
:lol: Get'em Godwind

And Madworld was fun. I plan on getting some HOtDOK.

It's similar to how multiplatform games usually sell better on 360 than on PS3 in America, despite the fact that PS3 owners are more likely to buy games than 360 owners.

You must know something nobody else does. Statistically the 360 has the highest attach rate of any console IN HISTORY, meaning per system in use, average per system, more people own more games on the 360, than any other console EVER.

PS3 owners are more likely to buy Blu-Ray movies than games...

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2008/01/28/360-attach-rate-now-7-games-per-console/
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17099
http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/01/playstation-3-attach-rates-ties-the-wii.html
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18096/NextGen-Consoles-Attach-Rate-Exposed/
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...ame-While-Claiming-Attach-Rate-Supremacy.html

I own 130+ games on the 360, and have yet to find a serious enough reason to buy a PS3. My wife wants one for the Disney Movies on Blue-ray, that's probably what will make us buy one eventually... No other Blu-ray player is as upgradeable as the PS3 unfortunately...

Before this turns into a console fanboy war, I'm not trying to go there... I'm just saying, if you want to state something as a fact, make sure your facts are right...

Last edited:
Can you explain the low sales of Hardcore Titles.

I think that this has been answered pretty well in the posts so far.

The answer is relatively simple, I think. The audience for Wii is predominantly not hardcore.

the third-parties need to understand that the sales on Nintendo platforms aren't like the xbox360/ps3, the sales of these platforms are very fast and accustom the third-parties to expect sales reaching the million copies the first or the second week the game releases on every console. In the other hand the Nintendo platform sales are slow and take time to reach these goals, this not means the hardcore mature titles won't reach these sales in less than a year, but generally reach the goal a year or take more time.

So there's not enough 'hardcore' Wii owners to start with and Wii games have a longer shelf life than other consoles games so early sales figures can be deceiving. Case closed.

There's the point that I want to reach, If you see every person that answer this question is supose to be one of these Wii360 or Wiips3 owners. They only try to find the oportunity to piss the Wii, this forum apears to be a Xbox360/ps3 forum than a Wii forum.
These people are hungry becose they see more and more remarkable hardcore titles coming to Wii and try to stop this. Some of these titles will be better on Wii than xbox360/ps3 (Virtua tennis 2009) and making the games of these consoles lose relevance.
I want the real Wii owners appear, the people that only have a Wii express their opinion, we are the mayority and we can't allow the others consoles piss the Wii, THERE'S A HUGE HARDCORE FAN BASE ON THE Wii the only weak is they purchase slowly their games, becose they want to make sure the game that purchase is good and they like it.

I think, if the real Wii owners will be like me, with almost 80 Wii hardcore games by Wii owner, the Wii and Nintendo already be pissed the xbox360/ps3 and leaved these consoles out the game market today. No, no stupid Wii360/Wiips3 owners the sales of these games will surpass the million mark at the end of the year, and when this happens we will talk about it!!

Last edited:
There's the point that I want to reach, If you see every person that answer this question is supose to be one of these Wii360 or Wiips3 owners. They only try to find the oportunity to piss the Wii, this forum apears to be a Xbox360/ps3 forum than a Wii forum.
These people are hungry becose they see more and more remarkable hardcore titles coming to Wii and try to stop this. Some of these titles will be better on Wii than xbox360/ps3 (Virtua tennis 2009) and making the games of these consoles lose relevance.

I've defended the Wii from day one. I've enjoyed the Wii, a lot. I've put many hours into it, as well as a lot of money. However, what like 3 years down the line are we? I'm definitely not 'hungry' to 'piss the Wii' because I see 'more remarkable hardcore titles coming to Wii'. There's just the fact that there aren't more remarkable 'hardcore' titles coming to the Wii. Sure, some titles can probably be better on the Wii, Virtua Tennis 2009 is an excellent example. But come on, try and name others. They're just not there. Take Fifa for example. My God that was diabolical on the Wii. That game alone pushed me to get a PS3 back in 2007/8.

I want the real Wii owners appear, the people that only have a Wii express their opinion, we are the mayority and we can't allow the others consoles piss the Wii, THERE'S A HUGE HARDCORE FAN BASE ON THE Wii the only weak is they purchase slowly their games, becose they want to make sure the game that purchase is good and they like it.

So I can't voice my opinion because I have a PS3? There is a hardcore fan base on the Wii, but until more games catered for them and things like online are improved, more and more of them will be moving to the PS3/360 to satisfy their 'hardcore' needs. Too many 'hardcore' games on the Wii turn out to be flops.

I think, if the real Wii owners will be like me, with almost 80 Wii hardcore games by Wii owner, the Wii and Nintendo already be pissed the xbox360/ps3 and leaved these consoles out the game market today. No, no stupid Wii360/Wiips3 owners the sales of these games will surpass the million mark at the end of the year, and when this happens we will talk about it!!

The problem is, is that most Wii owners will never be like you with almost 80 hardcore games. That's not who they're aiming at. (I would also like to hear of these 80 'hardcore' games). Uh, sorry I just don't understand the rest of your post. Are you saying that if Wii owners were like you, then that would push Microsoft and Sony out of the gaming market?

Last edited:
stickmode;1014984this forum apears to be a Xbox360/ps3 forum than a Wii forum.[/QUOTE said:
I think you will find its about the Wii
Its just a lot of the older members on here tend to know a lot more about tech than you do
THERE'S A HUGE HARDCORE FAN BASE ON THE WII
THERE'S A EVEN MORE HUGE CASUAL FAN BASE ON THE WII
I think, if the real Wii owners will be like me, with almost 80 Wii hardcore games by Wii owner, the Wii and Nintendo already be pissed the
So more reatered Wii owners?

Coming up more "How do I turn it on" questions

Since I was one of those who answered, I assume this is directed at me, among others. If you think I'm some swayed 360/PS3 gamer, you don't know me as well as you think you do. I honestly don't know why you would assume to know my "credibility" in this argument in the first place.

There is nothing in my previous post trying to downplay the Wii at all. Just because I attempted using a 360/PS3 scenario as an analogy to the Wii's hardcore situation doesn't mean I'm suddenly out to belittle the Wii.

All I did was give you an informed look on what might be happening...which is that the Wii's hardcore userbase is too small right now. If this is the reason (and most likely is), then it is just a harsh reality.

Last edited:
So more reatered Wii owners?

Coming up more "How do I turn it on" questions

I like those people 'casue I can answer their questions :lol:

The low sales of GTA:CTW DS was mentioned in the OP and I'd like to answer that point. The sales of this type of game on Nintendo systems always follow a different pattern than on, say, a PC. Ignoring the illegal copies (on both systems) then look at the growth of unit sales. PC games tend to have a large initial buy in by a fan base and then sales taper off as the next big release happens. DS games (of this type) tend to have a lower, more consistent sales line for many more months. Sure they don't sell as many units in total as their PC counterparts but a suitable analogy would be the tortoise and the hare (except the hare wins:tard:) if that makes any kind of sense.

Back