Can you explain the low sales of Hardcore Titles

I know you say 'arguably' but there is no way the Genesis was better than the Snes. The Snes had it beat in terms of games, graphics, sound and controls.

I'll agree with you slightly... Where I live, the people I gamed with etc... We all started with the SNES at the beginning of that generation of consoles... But by the end, we were Genesis. The Sega CD add on, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mortal Kombat in all it's bloody glory etc... Joe Montana football (SPANKED Madden at that point) Monoco GP... etc etc... The Genesis had the games... It took a while for the graphics to come around on the genesis, early titles were far less polished. But graphics and sound, not much to choose from, they were close. Controls. I think this is a personal thing. The Genesis controller was my favorite controller of all time until the 360 controller... I owned more games on the SNES, but I spent more time playing the games on the Genesis... so did my friends. Sonic kicked Mario's ass back then!

'Hardcore' Wii games off the top of my head - Madworld, RE4, No More Heroes, Deadly Creatures, HOTD: Overkill, Tenchu, MOH:Heroes 2, The Godfather, Scarface, MP3, Zelda, COD:WAW, Okami, Red Steel, Dead Rising, HOTD 2&3, Manhunt 2, RE:UC, Onechanbara, Obscure, Rygar, COD3, MOH:Vanguard, Target Terror, Mortal Kombat, Driver, Far Cry, Splinter Cell, BIA.

I guess I view hardcore maybe a little different? I don't consider Zelda hardcore. It's my wife's favorite series of games, she's definitely anything but hardcore... I known lot's of people over the years that I would not classify as hardcore gamers... and the majority has owned at least one version or another of RE over the years, so I wouldn't consider that hardcore.

I can't personally consider any game based off a movie or tv show to be hardcore. So scratch off The Godfather and Scarface... Fighting games were main stream in arcades for years... Still are. So scratch Mortal Kombat, because of the movies and the arcades...

The rest? Sure we'll leave them. So that's 24 games that depending on ones view of hardcore, may or may not fit the category. I was thinking Madworld, No More Heroes, Manhunt 2, and possibly Okami as hardcore... Not sure where I'd put COD anymore, it was hardcore at one time, now it's just so popular, almost mainstream... Definitely more than just hardcore players on that title, it's just too big of a franchise to not get noticed anymore.

Still far short of 80.

Last edited:
Controls. I think this is a personal thing. The Genesis controller was my favorite controller of all time until the 360 controller

I guess I view hardcore maybe a little different? I don't consider Zelda hardcore. It's my wife's favorite series of games, she's definitely anything but hardcore... I known lot's of people over the years that I would not classify as hardcore gamers... and the majority has owned at least one version or another of RE over the years, so I wouldn't consider that hardcore.

I can't personally consider any game based off a movie or tv show to be hardcore. So scratch off The Godfather and Scarface... Fighting games were main stream in arcades for years... Still are. So scratch Mortal Kombat, because of the movies and the arcades...

The rest? Sure we'll leave them. So that's 24 games that depending on ones view of hardcore, may or may not fit the category. I was thinking Madworld, No More Heroes, Manhunt 2, and possibly Okami as hardcore...

Still far short of 80.
I preffered the Snes controller because of the extra buttons. I was a huge Streetfighter 2 fan and playing that on the Genesis pad was just horrible.

To me 'hardcore' probably means anything with some degree of challenge or depth to it, regardless of the genre.

There isn't much between Zelda and Okami except for Zelda being more well known as both are very similar in style. I wouldn't exactly call them 'hardcore' but they are not casual, so I included them. I guess 'core' games would be a more appropriate label though.

Kind of strange to ignore anything connected to a movie/TV show as pretty much everything is at some point nowadays if it is successful, but I guess being more mainstream opens them up to a wider audience and could then be seen as not being 'hardcore' for that reason.

I known lot's of people over the years that I would not classify as hardcore gamers... and the majority has owned at least one version or another of RE over the years, so I wouldn't consider that hardcor
e.
so by your logic a hardcore game is any game that no non-hardcore gamer has.

so you'rte left with nothing.

You see this is why I list games as -
Great - Good - Shite and Id rather have my thumbs put in a vice

This hardcore nonsense is annoying

Also they're very impatient and constantly in denial. I remember Smash Bros. online had to be rushed because the fans were too anxious and couldn't wait, then when the game released you heard people saying "man, Nintendo should have spent more time fixing the online". It's VERY ironic.

Online was NEVER rushed. If you read an article from the maker, he simply stated Nintendo set strict limitations on online and offline content it provided. They had plenty of time to develop this game and had a reasonable time frame to accomplish it. The team who made Super Smash had reached it's limit with providing content and simply had nothing else to make. The game had a lot more potential if it could have better online parameters, downloadable content/updates, and overall, better features. For every game that comes out, there are hundreds of flamers out there waiting.

I would of loved the Wii if I could chat with my friends half across the globe and at the same time, enjoy games next to my friend via online/offline co-op. To communicate and to associate with those who have the same interests as I do. I could turn on my console and be able to be bombarded with extra tid bits, like achievements, updates, demos, a committed online community, and game developers who care for their gamers. These are all things Nintendo could of adapted and would NOT have hurt the console in any way or fashion.

Playing co-op Gears of War with a buddy of mine in Europe was a complete blast. Being able to talk to him about things whilst teaming up with him in-game is something that's missing on the Wii.

I still have a piece of heart established in Nintendo for their exclusives and several games. I still have my Wii and enjoy from time to time, but it hasn't been giving the love it's suppose to have in the past two years.

Last edited:
There's the point that I want to reach, If you see every person that answer this question is supose to be one of these Wii360 or Wiips3 owners. They only try to find the oportunity to piss the Wii, this forum apears to be a Xbox360/ps3 forum than a Wii forum.
These people are hungry becose they see more and more remarkable hardcore titles coming to Wii and try to stop this. Some of these titles will be better on Wii than xbox360/ps3 (Virtua tennis 2009) and making the games of these consoles lose relevance.
I want the real Wii owners appear, the people that only have a Wii express their opinion, we are the mayority and we can't allow the others consoles piss the Wii, THERE'S A HUGE HARDCORE FAN BASE ON THE Wii the only weak is they purchase slowly their games, becose they want to make sure the game that purchase is good and they like it.

I think, if the real Wii owners will be like me, with almost 80 Wii hardcore games by Wii owner, the Wii and Nintendo already be pissed the xbox360/ps3 and leaved these consoles out the game market today. No, no stupid Wii360/Wiips3 owners the sales of these games will surpass the million mark at the end of the year, and when this happens we will talk about it!!

I love your fanboy enthusiasm Stickmode. The problem is that there are only a handful of us Nintendo Loyalist out there. But give games some time before you just decide they have sold badly. Like someone else stated, Wii games have a long shelf life, especially highly acclaimed titles such as Madworld.

P.s. My 360 broke 5 days ago, and I can tell you I would much rather play Wii Play than stare at the red-blinking, overheating, noise making, piece of S***, that used to be my 360. But even when it was working I still backed Nintendo and still think the Wii is much more fun than the other consoles. It's all in how you look at it.

Also you are right about Wii owners waiting to buy games. I know a lot of people on this site were saying "I'm going to wait for the Madworld review to buy it." Then when IGN gave it a "9.0" they were like "ZOMG!!! Gotta buy Madworld Finally HARDCORE!!!!" then Gamespot gave it a "7.5" and now everybody is turning their noise up at like its overated and their too good to play it. Like I've said before on this site, the so-called "Hardcore" Wii audience seem to be the most hard to please, wishy-washy bunch of gamers I've seen in a long time.

Stickmode... Let me give you some advice... QUIT WHILE YOUR BEHIND!!!

There's no such thing as a proper Hardcore genre on the Wii it is mainly Casual cuz that what Nintendo make... Casual games for their casual consoles.

Dead Rising for Wii and GTA: China (whatever the **** name is) for DS are rubbish. Seriously dude!

Do this list in ascending order:

1) STFU!
2) GTFO!
3) TAKE YOUR FAIL WITH YOU!
4) DON'T COME BACK!

If you don't understand I'll talk in noob language:

1) Shut The **** Up!
2) Get The **** Off!
3) Take Your Failed Filth Outta Here!
4) Go Thru the Exit door, Shut It Behind You And Don't Come Back!

And before you go, listen to Godwind. He/she has made some really good points WHY we should stay clear of you!

The more you do this hardcore, casual crap, the more you bastardize this industry. Seriously, fanboys managed to mutate mediocre SALES PITCHES into some seriously weird clique business!

And besides, the next big first party "hardcore" :)rolleyes:) game that comes out will sell like hotcakes. If you want to know the truth about it, it's not hardcore or casual factors that matters in terms of sales, but recognizabilty. If it's a famous icon like Mario, Zelda, Rayman, etc. it's going to sale, whether it's hardcore or casual.

Hardcore, this. Sales, that. Why do you all care? Just get what you enjoy, and shut up about it.

Think for about it for a moment? When was the last time you saw a advertisement from Nintendo or their third parties about M rated games? Madworld I believe I saw it like 3-5 times and that was it. Even in magazines Nintendo don't advertise. They don't do it anymore like they did during the SNES days. Now they are looking at maximizing their profits by lowering their advertisement budget.

Back