Carnivores of the Pokeverse

Splash_King

The Scrubbiest of Hunters
Jan 25, 2009
Nimbasa City
Wii Online Code
0129-0129-0129-0129
Since the very first game, it's been blatantly stated that Pokemon eat other Pokemon. It's an obvious fact anyone who read their Pokedex entries carefully will of noticed, even as a child. In fact, one of the very first Pokemon you might've EVER caught has their Pokedex entry mention the act of meat-eatin'.

Pokemon Yellow's Pokedex said:
Pidgeotto, the Bird [strike]type[/strike] Pokemon. This Pokémon is full of vitality. It constantly flies around its large territory in search of prey.

"Prey means animals that aren't Pokemon!"

Pokemon X's Pokedex said:
The claws on its feet are well developed. It can carry prey such as an Exeggcute to its nest over 60 miles away.

Pokemon Red/Blue's Pokedex said:
Pidgeot, the [STRIKE]Fat[/STRIKE] Bird Pokemon. When hunting, it skims the surface of water at high speed to pick off unwary prey such as Feebas.

Dog eat dog, t'is the law of nature. Of course Pokemon that are Carnivine-rous eat other Pokemon. But it ain't really comparable to animals eatin' each other in the real world... Pokelore dictates that Pokemon are all sentient. Not only that, some are even worlds more intelligent than humans. If animals IRL could think for themselves, were self-aware, could love, would we attempt to intervene and keep sentient beings from devouring each other? Would we stop eatin' them, at the very least? Is cannibalism frowned upon because it will make us fatally ill? Because we're eating our own species? Or because we're killing another sentient to dine?

In the cheery world of Pogeymanz, sentient beings are eating each other. Humans are also eating Pokemon, blatantly so. Farfetch'd has nearly been devoured to extinction by humankind, and is a common poacher target. Slowpoke Tail is an infamous delicacy Team Rocket themselves poached... but it's obvious that some Pokemon are very legal to have for dinner, such as Basculin. Is such a dark thing, the morality of eating other sentient beings, ever addressed in the anime? The games? No. Too child friendly. My knowledge of the manga is lacking, so who knows, maybe N addresses the issue of people eating tasty Pokemon. Someone Google it for me. But as far as I know, the series has never confronted itself on the matter in any way.

With that said, what're y'all's thoughts on this madness? srs pokeman thread is supersrs

How the 'Karp did you remember where that post was?

That'd be an interestin' twist. I'm sure Pokemon breeding, and things like the Safari Zone would tie int' that somewhere.

So what would pokepuffs and such be made of?

What a pastry oft consists of: sugar, eggs, dairy, etc.

... Which brings another twist to my point. Is there a moral dilemma in farming Pokemon for their byproducts? Raising Miltank for milk, a Mareep for wool, so long as there's no slaughtering (burgers come from somewhere, so there's most definitely slaughtering), no cruelty?

But surely not all Pokemon can subsist on normal pastries. It'd make more sense that they use different specialized ingredients.

Like how the natural order of things (Poke eat Poke) isn't really elaborated directly in any Pokelore, my statement of "all Pokemon are sentient" is an assumption; an educated one, mind you. Ain't just a splash in the dark. Perhaps "all" might be incorrect, but I have absolutely no doubt what-so-ever that nigh-all Pokemon are wholly sentient, as intellectually adept as humans or not. Maybe somethin' particularly stupid, like a Rhyhorn or especially a Feebas, might lack self-awareness.

But surely not all Pokemon can subsist on normal pastries. It'd make more sense that they use different specialized ingredients.

This is true. Pokepuffs are just one variety of dessert though, there're many more foods for a Pokemon to eat. Most species, 'specially the animal-like ones (i.e. things not like a Geodude or Grimer), seems able to eat even things meant specifically for human consumption. Pokemon are hardy and able t' subsist on many a thing. Magical monsters are magical.

If it's edible, it's edible to a lot. T'is the laws of the Pokeverse it seems.

... Makes things a tad darker actually, since carnivorous Pokemon can sustain themselves on just fruit 'n vegetable, and thus are needlessly killin' other sentient beings just 'cause they taste good.

How the 'Karp did you remember where that post was?

That'd be an interestin' twist. I'm sure Pokemon breeding, and things like the Safari Zone would tie int' that somewhere.

I searched for it, still remains the only time I have been quoted on a well known 18+ (sometimes not) picture site.

Im sure in an earily episode of the anime Team rocket tried to eat a Magikarp and failed due to scales and lack of meat

Back