dealing with PS3 hatrid, and Wii fanboyism.

Atomheart said:
LOL! Way to rationalize it. Fanboys can always come up with a way to rationalize the Wii's failings.

Why would you want more third parties to come to the Wii anyway? They'll end up making more games than you can buy anyway, right?
more variety....it's not like i'm going to buy them all, but let's say a kingdom hearts comes to the wii, i'll be buying that

and how is wii failing in any way? Nintendo is making tons of money

Squall7 said:
A couple of things bug me about that:

1. It doesn't take into account the whole year headstart of the 360 (so it's obvious they'll have more games).

Actually it does. It's simple math really. The 360 has 82 well-rated games in just over 2 years. The Wii only has 14 well-rated games in just over a year. What's 14 times 2?

Still, you could argue that games get better as the console progresses. However, you'd have to be REALLY optimistic to believe that we're going to get 68 Wii games rated about 80% in the next year.

It's sad, but it's reality. The Wii will ALWAYS be the weakest in terms of game quality...and ultimately gameplay (on top of having the weakest graphics). Hopefully, the few great Wii games will be worth it. I know that Brawl and Mario Kart should keep me plenty happy for a long time (I hope), but then again, I don't play video games much.

Hey Romj, havent seen u in awhile...back to do some more debating?!..:lol:

SensesFail said:
stopped int he middle of the second paragraph. your obviously a fanboy, not to mention you lack any knowlege of current gaming systems. the PS3 is known for it's raw, yet currently untapped, power. so stating it cant top the 360 is something id expect to hear from a fanboys mouth.

So I can stop listening to you to then because you obliviously know nothing about computer hardware. The cell is best used as a media processor. You are not going to leap frog the xbox 360 because the hardware is all PC tech bounded. Which means that unless the cell has a wireless router in it to get past the bottlenecks SONY just left in there then you will be getting conventional performance from an very unorthodox set up. Never has any PC tech struggled so badly out of the gate the way the PS3's hardware has. This hidden potential thing has even been debunked by the lead IBM architect saying that developers will ONLY get 40-50% of it's power out of it due to what they are trying to program on it. This was widely reported by site like ars-techinca and the like.

So you are a fan boy that still believes in the hidden power of the cell...LOL So far that hidden power has done nothing for one of capcoms most famous ports. I've yet to see any of the PS3s games display any thing that says it is more powerful. You sir have fallen for Mr. Kens hype. I though every one knew and understood that the only thing extra you will get out of the cell is better or more organic smoke. So far the PS3 is even having a hard time keeping up with the xbox 360 just because of the fact you are simply doing things different just to get the same out come.

Really man post some thing about the hidden potential so I can jump on this bandwagon. I'm into PC tech and electronics and I've loved what console have brought to the table yet dropping a RSX in this box was the easy way out and we all know Nvidia and ati where both neck and neck in the last batch of GPU tech.

Don't get mad because the Wii is the only thing that makes developers enough money to keep funding games that PS3 owner are not buying. The PS3 being a power house is a FAD for the uninformed. It is basically able to compete with the xbox 360. Thats about it. Show me a multi platform game that blows the xbox 360 away and I will get you a cookie.

Other wise no one is hating the system just the way no one is hating ATI's current HD video cards... Lots of big talk yet nothing came of them due to stiff competition. And yes the Wii can not keep up with the PS3 because it does have a direct x 9 class GPU in it. It's actually closer to open GL.

Keep ignoring the truth! You over paid for your game system, yet if you want to call it a blue ray player then it's a steal! You choose.... So why hate some thing like that? better yet go buy unreal 3 so I can make a mod for you are some thing. The game kicks a$$ on the PC and I'm sure every one is playing with the toolset right now. So really why would I hate a potential platform for my work? It's not perfect but I'm not the one left waiting on it to be the power house that the combo of a core duo 2 and 8800GTS is. It's not going to happen and if it does it may actual benefit the Wii more since they will need to find away to compress every thing!

Bliss said:
Hey Romj, havent seen u in awhile...back to do some more debating?!..:lol:

Hi, Bliss! Can't much, I have an injury to my domant shoulder, so can't type much. :smilewinkgrin:

romj said:
Hi, Bliss! Can't much, I have an injury to my domant shoulder, so can't type much. :smilewinkgrin:

Sorry about that man, get better. I remember that post too. Hell I think that was when I started posting here. Good debate but thats what big companies do.

I'm sure every one though gamers where rich and could actually get a second job to afford games!
Seriously If some one bought an HDtv you would think they have more spendable income, but wait now they will be broke longer. Most gamers have HD consoles and no HDtv. I think these guys are finding that out the hard way. Yet companies like money and as the quality of games go up it will get harder to justify bad ports and hell ubisoft even apologized for it. After Brawl NMH and all of the other games it's going to be harder to just ok some crap unless you just know the casuals will love it... and really so far only nintendo will be king of that camp.

But really read ROMJ's post the developers who did this need to be watched. They will do this stuff again.

Atomheart said:
All the Wii fanboys have just been PWNED!

I've been waiting for something like this to come around. I've always had the suspicion that the Wii has disproportionatly had low scoring (i.e., crappy) games. Everytime a crappy 7.0 or lower scored games comes out (which has been 95% of Wii games), I wonder this even more. Now it has been confirmed.

On a similar note, I've always wondering if there is a statistic of average score across all games for a console (i.e., the averaged rating for all games on a particular console). I'm willing to bet that the ranking of ratings would go something like this: 360>PS3>Wii. The 360 would have the highest averaged game rating with the Wii having the worst and the PS3 somewhere in between.

So I suppose that would mean that the Wii has the worst graphics AND gameplay, right?
Arg, I be smellin' a fanboy somewhere!

Squall7 said:
Indeed. I wasn't making an excuse, I was making a reason. I remember the 360 didn't have all that great a selection in it's first year (If I remember rightly).

What I was more arguing (but it hasn't come across) is that PS3 and 360 has a lot of multiplatform games, and in essence, those top scores are pretty much the same game on either console. As such, the number doesn't take into account exclusives that are either good or bad system sellers. As such, you do get people dissing the PS3, partly for the reason that most of it's 41 80% plus games are on another console also. Taking into account, how many of those 14 games are exclusive to the Wii? Surely a few excellent games on an exclusive console shouldn't even be thought of in the same way as a system which has more good games, but that can be found on other consoles...

True, but then, a lot of people don't trust reviews from certain places (take Gamespot for example, a lot of people see them as anti-Nintendo). Of course, it's impossible to do this kind of thing with anything else other than publications, but by the same token, with allegations of 'buying a better review' as been made more aware by the Kane and Lynch reviewer from Gamespot (I think it was Gamespot, could be another site), one has to wonder about the validity of some scores.

Most people are hypocrites in the gaming world.
I admit that I can come off a little fanboy-ish, but what I don't do is say things without reason.

Exactly.

I would think it was generous, but it's obviously a tool to try and win the format war against HD DVD. Personally, I'm still doubting whether Blu Ray will become as prominent as DVD has, and as such, I consider Blu Ray a technology that artifically inflates the price, but isn't even established as the next widely used technology.

Technically, they have stopped producing the 20GB and the 60GB, so in essence, if we want a new one, soon enough, it'll have to be the 40GB version. Plus the European version was software emulated, rather than hardware emulated (resulting in imperfect backward compatibility).

True. I think the voicechat on xbox live doesn't help matters (heard lots of bad language and elitist banter that really doesn't do anything but artificially bolster up their own egos). A lot of the time, people see Nintendo Fanboys as little kids. I can honestly say that I've met more Nintendo fans that are older than me, than younger than me. However, I've known a few PS3 fanboys that are a bit over the top and claim usually outlandish things. Heck, the ones that were on here were just completely arrogant and always took anything and spun it to make Sony look the best (people like Wii&ps3 and Shiftfallout - although Shiftfallout did provide an intellectual side).

Great post man... Great points. Yet completely no hate....

SensesFail you should replace PS3 hate with frustration... Thats all I ever see when listening to a PS3 fan. That and the good ol you just wait. Hey like I said it would be cool for it to come out swinging because I would rather have an PS3 than an xbox 360 but until that happens I'm good on my PC for the HD FPS stuff. I mean people are talking and it's not looking good! I mean the important people not fans!

I mean from your view you would think every one hated the neo geo back in the day too.

SensesFail said:
stopped int he middle of the second paragraph. your obviously a fanboy, not to mention you lack any knowlege of current gaming systems. the PS3 is known for it's raw, yet currently untapped, power. so stating it cant top the 360 is something id expect to hear from a fanboys mouth.

I am disapointed that you dismissed such a well thought out post with callin him a fanboy. He is one of the better posters on this list and you could of, at least, given a true refutation to his argumant.

WiitnessID said:
Sorry about that man, get better. I remember that post too. Hell I think that was when I started posting here. Good debate but thats what big companies do.

I'm sure every one though gamers where rich and could actually get a second job to afford games!
Seriously If some one bought an HDtv you would think they have more spendable income, but wait now they will be broke longer. Most gamers have HD consoles and no HDtv. I think these guys are finding that out the hard way. Yet companies like money and as the quality of games go up it will get harder to justify bad ports and hell ubisoft even apologized for it. After Brawl NMH and all of the other games it's going to be harder to just ok some crap unless you just know the casuals will love it... and really so far only nintendo will be king of that camp.

But really read ROMJ's post the developers who did this need to be watched. They will do this stuff again.

Thank you, WiitnessID. I remember the debate well. It was a good one. I agree with you on this. The cost of games and their development is rising and gamers and developers cant affrod this. Will the industry end up eating it's own tail? We just have to wait and see.

Being a "casual" player dosen't instantly make you like crap games. In the end, we are all game consumers and as such, we want to be taken seriouly as such, ie, not offered a poor quality product and expected to buy it.

Last edited:
Atomheart said:
Actually it does. It's simple math really. The 360 has 82 well-rated games in just over 2 years. The Wii only has 14 well-rated games in just over a year. What's 14 times 2?
Hence why it was a single point instead of the entire criticism.

Still, you could argue that games get better as the console progresses. However, you'd have to be REALLY optimistic to believe that we're going to get 68 Wii games rated about 80% in the next year.
Maybe not, but we will begin to see more developed games over the coming years, which is basically logical, especially seeing as though the Wii attracts both good good game devs as well as bad ones. Hopefully we'll begin to see that developers learn their lesson of not producing crap for the system, because Wii gamers (the core Wii audience to be exact) won't buy crap games. We'll buy stuff that is fun, usually either proven (as a franchise for example) or critically acclaimed. That's not to say we all buy into the hype of things, but when things do come along that spike interest (for example, Zack and Wiki), we will bite for them.

It's sad, but it's reality. The Wii will ALWAYS be the weakest in terms of game quality
Not really. That's basically down to opinion.

...and ultimately gameplay (on top of having the weakest graphics).
Same as above. Personally, I feel that you can do more with the Wii in terms of genre, especially considering the obvious factor of FPS having to evolve (like Bioshock, Portal, The Darkness etc...). Besides, people always see the graphics as a down side or a flaw. They simply aren't. The graphics are fine (when used properly) and are often suited to the types of games the Wii has.

Hopefully, the few great Wii games will be worth it. I know that Brawl and Mario Kart should keep me plenty happy for a long time (I hope), but then again, I don't play video games much.
I feel you're doing the Wii a disservice here. There are some pretty cool games out for the Wii, even if it hasn't built up a large collection of classics. Much like the N64, the Wii will be remembered not for it's catalogue, but for it's special class of amazing games that are only available for the Wii.

Oh, and be careful. You were coming off a little too brazen about the Wii. Remember this is a Wii forum, and although criticism is welcome, slagging off isn't.

AtomicB said:
Arg, I be smellin' a fanboy somewhere!

To the contrary: the Wii is the ONLY console that I own. I don't play it much though (or video games for that matter), which is the only reason I haven't become completely disillusioned with video games after owning a Wii.

Atomheart said:
I've been waiting for something like this to come around. I've always had the suspicion that the Wii has disproportionatly had low scoring (i.e., crappy) games. Everytime a crappy 7.0 or lower scored games comes out (which has been 95% of Wii games), I wonder this even more. Now it has been confirmed.
Why don't we look at the average Nintendo review score? That might change your perspectrive on the average review score of Wii games with effort put in.

romj said:

Oh wow man, hope u get better

WiitnessID said:
I remember that post too. Hell I think that was when I started posting here. Good debate but thats what big companies do.

yea that had to be one of the best debate threads we had about the Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft

Back