Do Americans say 'mate'?

The 'Hey man' one is what I say.

You're absolutely right. America and Canada have so many cultures that picking one to define us all, can't be done.

Oh and btw, Atom, you're being ignorant. England was around MUCH longer than America.

Atomheart said:
Therefore, we speak the real English (i.e., the one that matters).

Your logic is really annoying...

Aside from that, one of my best friends uses the word mate and bro all the time, even though he's English. I at times find myself saying "mate", It's a pretty cool word actually...

.. Mate... mmm.. Hello mate. hehe :lol:

ARav989 said:
Atom, you're being ignorant. England was around MUCH longer than America.

Correct. The fact that an Englishman founded America proves him wrong :p
I like the 'I use their name' point

Brawny said:
It's not that one is better than the other...crazy Brits!

They're two different cultures... What happened to mocking France together like it's supposed to be?

Now, now, lets not insult the French. They're not here to defend themselves, and we all know how good they are that.

(referances to WW2 galore)

England was around for just as long as America...Ever heard of Native Americans?

And what did that extra history give you guys? Ohhh, so we had feudalism and a nice history of Protestants vs. Catholics...YEAH, that was so worth it!

Brawny said:
England was around for just as long as America...Ever heard of Native Americans?

And what did that extra history give you guys? Ohhh, so we had feudalism and a nice history of Protestants vs. Catholics...YEAH, that was so worth it!

Seriously, don't try and turn this around into a debate of 'my country's better than yours'. You won't win, and besides, you mistreated the Native Americans so badly. hmm, yeah.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

I know you're new, so I'll tell you nicely. You should know I ramble randomly sometimes. I am most definitely not starting a "my country is better than yours" discussion, as that is all relative.

If you could edit your posts instead of replying immediately after posting, that would be much appreciated.

And finally, I must ask you how you know so little about American culture. I don't mean any offense, but you DO get a lot of our TV shows and such over there.

navarre said:
Seriously, don't try and turn this around into a debate of 'my country's better than yours'. You won't win, and besides, you mistreated the Native Americans so badly. hmm, yeah.

Please don't mistaken the Americans of today, with those hundreds of years ago.

Brawny said:
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

I know you're new, so I'll tell you nicely. You should know I ramble randomly sometimes. I am most definitely not starting a "my country is better than yours" discussion, as that is all relative.

If you could edit your posts instead of replying immediately after posting, that would be much appreciated.

And finally, I must ask you how you know so little about American culture. I don't mean any offense, but you DO get a lot of our TV shows and such over there.

I apologise, I've yet to know you. And short of 24 and the odd movies, i don't watch a lot of American TV. I do, however, take particular interest in different cultures, the American one being a favourite of mine (along with Canada and Russia). I'd just never heard an American say 'mate' before, and pondered whether or not you used the word.

And Gikoku, are you patriotic?

navarre said:
And Gikoku, are you patriotic?

No, I'm not. But I don't like it when someone bunches the Americans of today, with the ignorant ones from 50 to over 100 years ago. And believes that everyone in America is like that as a whole, which isn't true.

Back