DS lite: Should I get one?

*Chris*

Sep 6, 2006
Hey,

Well, I own a PSP, and to be honest I have been bored with it ever since I bought it on its launch day (1st September, 2005).

I am thinking about trading it in for DS lite, but I am a little worried. First of all, I dont know if the DS is worth it. Whats it like?

Secondly, I have been waiting for Crisis Core: FFVII to be released...but again, I am getting a bit bored of Final Fantasy VII (and the wait).

Thirdly, any good games? [Future games I would like to own = FFIII when its released in the UK, FFXII: Renevaant Wings + others I am sure].

So yea, what is your opinion? Should I get one?

YES! I have a psp i got it around release, and I have 0 games for it, it sucks... I just bought a Ds lite onyx 3 days ago, and I have mario kart and New super mario, and it is the best! 500% better then psp

Silly question for a NINTENDO BASED FOUM

Eric said:
YES! I have a psp i got it around release, and I have 0 games for it, it sucks... I just bought a Ds lite onyx 3 days ago, and I have mario kart and New super mario, and it is the best! 500% better then psp
Sold :p

I might buy one on Wedneday (trade in PSP + Lumines + Ridge Racer)

^Darkprinny: Maybe you are right, it was kinda stupid question to ask :lol: Maybe I asked it because I knew people would say yes buy one...making me want to buy one even more :)

Haha :)arf: at me)

i love the ds, there is alot of good games for it compared to the psp.... the psp for me had no good games excepot i did like the game called mercury, and wipeout .... it was pretty cool, but the ds is soooo mch better the touch screen is such a major asset for the system and now the online capabilities are pretty cool if you have a router (wireless router)

If you want fun and innovation, go with the DS Lite. The games that are out are great not including the SICK line-up of games coming out in the next few months. Can we say FFIII? Don't even get me started on the new small form factor and the incredibly bright and crisp screens. If you game outside the house and have the money, do yourself a favor, and get a DS Lite.

Eric said:

yOu have only had it for 3 days...........

YOu would have said the exact same thing for the psp straight after you bought it.

I might be selling my psp (more money for wii), but im going to see how the psp download service works out first

Dont get a ds lite.You should get a Normal Ds because Ive heard that a ds lite makes your hands bad or some thing and my cousin had damaged the bottom screen by letting it fall 1 time.

wishbone395 said:
Dont get a ds lite.You should get a Normal Ds because Ive heard that a ds lite makes your hands bad or some thing and my cousin had damaged the bottom screen by letting it fall 1 time.
Really? I actually bought and then returned the original DS the day I got it because it was so bulky, heavy and uncomfortable. The DS lite has a much brighter and crisper set of screens, so I would go with it over the original.

I'm sort of trying to descide if I want to get a DS lite anytime soon, aswell. I had a PSP when it first came out and after like 6 months, I sold it because it's games were rather dull and over priced (yes they are only $10 more than DS games but their also only $10 less than console games that are like a million times better). When the DS lite came out, I went to the store and I really like it; it's both easy on the eyes and has pretty innovative gameplay. That said, I've been looking at the list of DS games and there are only a handful that I want: Metroid Hunters, Mario Kart, Starfox Command, Viewtiful Joe, and the new Super Mario Brothers. That may seem like enough for some, but that's pretty much it and there aren't any upcoming games for the system that interest me.

What bothers me about the DS and most portable game systems in general is their lack of originality. All their games tend to be ports from their bigger and better console cousins and it's gets boring. Nintendo keeps cranking out these Mario-themed versions of games like a basket ball game and soccer game and tennis and golf...ENOUGH!!! I love Mario, but they're going to where him out! I've recently looked at the PSP line up and finally, it's games are getting a bit more varied. They've got GTA (which is a port, but a good port), Rush (a cool looking racing game), Gangs of London, and even really interesting games like LocoRoco. I wish Nintendo would stop catering sooo much to the RPG/Pokemon/Anime fans and start doing some mature DS games. I don't want Mario with an AK-45, but maybe some interesting fighting games, non-Nintendo-Mario-styled racers, new 3rd person adventures, and perhaps some more puzzle games. Wii is showing that Nintendo is finally showing some depth, but they need to extend that to the DS in the way Sony is starting to do with the PSP if they want a bigger fan base.

So...yeah...that's what I think.:D

lol ds lite is 200x original ds is lighter and easier to play on plus buttons are more responsive basicaly if you play online you have an advantage over people with original ds system :smilewinkgrin: s

NateTheGreat said:
Really? I actually bought and then returned the original DS the day I got it because it was so bulky, heavy and uncomfortable. The DS lite has a much brighter and crisper set of screens, so I would go with it over the original.

I'm sort of trying to descide if I want to get a DS lite anytime soon, aswell. I had a PSP when it first came out and after like 6 months, I sold it because it's games were rather dull and over priced (yes they are only $10 more than DS games but their also only $10 less than console games that are like a million times better). When the DS lite came out, I went to the store and I really like it; it's both easy on the eyes and has pretty innovative gameplay. That said, I've been looking at the list of DS games and there are only a handful that I want: Metroid Hunters, Mario Kart, Starfox Command, Viewtiful Joe, and the new Super Mario Brothers. That may seem like enough for some, but that's pretty much it and there aren't any upcoming games for the system that interest me.

What bothers me about the DS and most portable game systems in general is their lack of originality. All their games tend to be ports from their bigger and better console cousins and it's gets boring. Nintendo keeps cranking out these Mario-themed versions of games like a basket ball game and soccer game and tennis and golf...ENOUGH!!! I love Mario, but they're going to where him out! I've recently looked at the PSP line up and finally, it's games are getting a bit more varied. They've got GTA (which is a port, but a good port), Rush (a cool looking racing game), Gangs of London, and even really interesting games like LocoRoco. I wish Nintendo would stop catering sooo much to the RPG/Pokemon/Anime fans and start doing some mature DS games. I don't want Mario with an AK-45, but maybe some interesting fighting games, non-Nintendo-Mario-styled racers, new 3rd person adventures, and perhaps some more puzzle games. Wii is showing that Nintendo is finally showing some depth, but they need to extend that to the DS in the way Sony is starting to do with the PSP if they want a bigger fan base.

Great point there.So that u know once I gotten New super mario bros.I beat the game in two days.The day I got it was the first day and the day after that was the next.

NateTheGreat said:

I partially agree with you here dude; personally I didn't find the DS (normal, not lite) to be particularly clunky, certainly no moreso than the PSP anyway. And as far as weight and size go, I don't think any of us are in a position to be complaining about its size, even though I don't believe it's anything to complain about, especially when you consider that only a few years ago that kind of processing power was only available in something that was alot bigger, chunkier, alot less managable and not even as powerful (In case anyone doesn't follow, I'm referring to the N64). Now we have a neat handheld which can do even more, has more features (wireless communications between consoles, download play, WiFi play, touch screen), and... better graphics!

As far as mature games go... Yeah, we could probably do with a couple more. I read somewhere a little while ago, that the only DS game With an MA15+ (I'm not sure what the EU/US/UK equivalant rating is, maybe 17+ or 21+?) rating is Resident Evil: Deadly Silence. I would personally hope for a couple more, and not nesacerrily just for gorier gameplay (although games soaked in blood can be alot of fun!) but for more complex, darker and more intriguing atmospheres and storylines and so on. One DS mature game of note though would be Another Code: Two Memories (Called Trace Memory in some regions). It was one of the first DS games I bought (I bought the Mario Kart bundle) and I still havent finished it because its so friggin hard! There are some mature games out, but not enough to say I'm satisfied with the range, so some more would be nice :)

Back