Eat Sleep Play's Jaffe Talks State Of Console War

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
As part of an in-depth Gamasutra interview with David Jaffe (God Of War, Twisted Metal), the Eat Sleep Play co-founder has been discussing the console conflict, suggesting that the PS3 will be "close to ahead, if not totally ahead" of the Xbox 360 "when the dust settles".

Just one part of a wide-ranging chat which also focuses on Twisted Metal: Head On for the PlayStation 2 and the rise of the casual/shortplay game, Jaffe responds when asked about the evolution of the console market:

"Well, I love the PlayStation 3. I mean, I have a Wii, I barely play it -- not because I don't like it or appreciate it, I just, you know, it's not my cup of tea at the moment. Mario Galaxy, I thought was pretty cool.

I've got to be honest: I didn't think that it was as good as Ratchet. I didn't get the huge big deal over it; I thought it was a really good Mario game, but I wasn't like, "Oh my God, it's Mario 64!" I'm totally in the minority in that.

Of course, I like my Wii; I love my 360, I think the 360's awesome; I really do love the PlayStation 3, though, and I was really excited to hear some journalists talking recently about the new Burnout. With Burnout, if you really want to play Burnout the way it's supposed to be played, play it on the PlayStation 3.

And I think now we're just starting to see the idea that the PS3 is going to be capable of ultimately being the best system out there, in terms of delivering the best games and the best performance.

And, you know, I love the fact that Blu-ray seems to be doing really well, and seems to be winning the format war. So I'm a big fan of the PlayStation 3.

Of course I wish it was a little less costly, I wish it had a bigger market share, but I think all that is just to come. I don't look at the situation and think that it's: "Where it is now is where it's going to be." I ultimately see it being pretty close to ahead, if not totally ahead, in terms of Xbox, in terms of market share when all the dust settles. I'm a big fan."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17120

Notice how he said it would be ahead of the XBOX360...not the Wii. Also, I'm sure at the end of the day it may end up ahead of the 360 ONLY because Microsoft will have already released the next incarnation of the XBOX before the Playstation3 sees its successor. Playstation lost its marketshare and will continue to lose until it innovates as Nintendo has. People are tired of sitting on a couch, holding a controller in their hand pressing buttons. I've been doing that since I was 8 years old and I finally grew tired of it. Nintendo brought me back to gaming and reminded me why I used to have so much fun as a kid.

technodj said:
Notice how he said it would be ahead of the XBOX360...not the Wii. Also, I'm sure at the end of the day it may end up ahead of the 360 ONLY because Microsoft will have already released the next incarnation of the XBOX before the Playstation3 sees its successor. Playstation lost its marketshare and will continue to lose until it innovates as Nintendo has. People are tired of sitting on a couch, holding a controller in their hand pressing buttons. I've been doing that since I was 8 years old and I finally grew tired of it. Nintendo brought me back to gaming and reminded me why I used to have so much fun as a kid.

I think the PS3 being ahead of the Wii was implied; he didn't seem to taken with the Wii, as is the case with most hardcore gamers.

And do you have any data or proof to back up your assertion that people are tired of traditional gaming (i.e., traditional controllers)? I haven't seen any data on that. And PUH-LEASE do not bring up sales data as that proves little other than everybody and their grandma wants a piece of the Wii action. However, that means little when it comes to what gamers really want.

i can't say i'm tired of tradditional gaming, though i like the Wii since it's a refreshing change. there are days where i don't want to just sit and hold a normal controller, but there are other days when i do. I think that's why right now having the Wii60 setup is ideal for most "hardcore" gamers, though maybe in the future it will be more of a "PSWii" combo that's ideal. I personally think that the PS3 is the machine with the most potential of all, and i'll be getting it when MGS4 drops. I just feel that having the Wii and either other consol is the advantageous route, where as haveing a PS3 and 360 seems to be a bit redundant, especially at the price, you'll end up having almost $1000 of consoles(especially if you get extra controllers and whatnot) that essensially do the same thing. Where as if you have Wii and either PS3 or 360, after an extra controller each you're around $800, and you have 2 different machines that you'll be able to have a completely different experience on and basically cover the entire spectrum of gaming genres.

Just my $.02

kyle

(i probably could've summed all that up in about 2-3 sentence, but oh well. deal with it)

I still love traditional gaming. I hope it stays that way forever. I dont ever want to get into an age of gaming where its some kind of virtual reality and your basically just use your body to play. I like using controllers.

Atomheart said:
I think the PS3 being ahead of the Wii was implied; he didn't seem to taken with the Wii, as is the case with most hardcore gamers.

And do you have any data or proof to back up your assertion that people are tired of traditional gaming (i.e., traditional controllers)? I haven't seen any data on that. And PUH-LEASE do not bring up sales data as that proves little other than everybody and their grandma wants a piece of the Wii action. However, that means little when it comes to what gamers really want.

So if Wii owners are not gamers then they are accountants, basket ball players, bar hoppers, hot girls, money conscious, They own a game system they are gamers...LOL I mean really you can argue that Jaff isn't even a gamer since he has to make them...LOL Making them and being a fan is totally different you should try it! it's fun stuff!

This guy has been talking steath trash about the Wii and nintendo for a while. He may be bitter about some thing yet calling all cars is as casual as it gets and no one liked it! So unless you bought calling all cars then you can't really say he speaks for core gamers can you? Or maybe you can since he illustrates why the current core gamer is becoming a niche, which always happens by the way!

Atomheart said:

Shut it fanboy.

WiitnessID said:
So if Wii owners are not gamers then they are accountants, basket ball players, bar hoppers, hot girls, money conscious, They own a game system they are gamers...LOL I mean really you can argue that Jaff isn't even a gamer since he has to make them...LOL Making them and being a fan is totally different you should try it! it's fun stuff!

This guy has been talking steath trash about the Wii and nintendo for a while. He may be bitter about some thing yet calling all cars is as casual as it gets and no one liked it! So unless you bought calling all cars then you can't really say he speaks for core gamers can you? Or maybe you can since he illustrates why the current core gamer is becoming a niche, which always happens by the way!

So Grandma Betty who bought the Wii to play Wii Sports is a gamer?

Regardless of semantics, you know what I meant. The majority of those who are more interested in gaming than for the gimmick of swinging a Wiimote around (basically, those who are quite content with Wii Sports) are not likely at all to be tired of traditional gaming. Unless you have some data to support your assertion, the statement is absurd.

Warrior said:
Shut it fanboy.

I don't get it. Why does everyone assume I'm a fanboy. The Wii is the only console I own (and care to own). I guess the truth isn't acceptable around here unless it is positive toward the Wii.

So who's the real fanboy here?

True! I basically think that Ninty should produce traditional games that can be used with the Classic Controller. That way Wii owners who want to play a game that normally would have horrible motion controls can play it with a standard controller. Sometimes I wish I could turn off the motion controls in Metroid Prime and just play with my Gamecube controller. I wish Nintendo would realize that not everything has to be original.

I also wish that companies would make some hardcore games for the Wii. I wish that Square wouldn't look down on Ninty by making a "toned down" version of Final Fantasy and give us the whole shabang.

I honestly thought it would be cool to play some shooters with motion controls and possibly some Zelda. But I had no idea that the game selection would be so dry. I know just about everyone here loves Mario and games like SSBB but they just don't appeal to me anymore. I somewhat regret buying the Wii.
Let me contradict (SP) myself here though. It's part our fault and the developers. I think we as gamers do not appreciate what we have. We want more. We want what every other system is getting and more. The developer just doesn't like taking chances. Becuase of the Internet and game shows like X-Play were not flooded with games like we once were with the PS1 or Super Nintendo or Genesis.

Thats just my opinion of course.

Atomheart said:
I don't get it. Why does everyone assume I'm a fanboy. The Wii is the only console I own (and care to own). I guess the truth isn't acceptable around here unless it is positive toward the Wii.

To tell you the truth Oprah, im suprised. No srsly, never would of thought that you would have only owned a Wii, judging by the negativity you show toward most Wii games.

But srsly, the guy is right. With the way Blu-Ray is doing right now (stomping HDDVD in the format wars) and the superior graphical powers of the PS3, it may be the best console, BUT, i predict it wont equal sales of teh 360 until 2009, and by then there may be a new console already announced from each company.

Atomheart said:

actually have to agree with you I'm a fanboy I love nintendo but sometimes you have to face the facts that the ps3 is just simply better and 360 is a piece of ****. The wii is my favorite console and half the games on it are **** but I still love it but its not the best

Well, who's to say what's the best console? It's all your own opinion. Besides, it's not really the console at the end of the day, but really just the games the console has. I wish every one of these topics on here didn't descend into this 'fanboy' fighting. Who cares if a company succeeds or not? I'd own all three consoles if I could - they all have quality games on them. Live and let live.

God damit people, you can't compare the Wii to consoles like the 360 and Ps3, its not anything like it! The Wii is targetting a different audience, and if you don't like that, you can shove the Wii's sale numbers straight up your ass.

Back