External Memory Denied

Moose

The Wookie
Jul 5, 2007
Austin, Tx
Wii Online Code
1606-9696-7776-6446
So i was watching Ninja Warrior today on G4 and every once in a while they'll post the latest news in entertainment and what not.

One that caught my eye said that nintendo is making No plays to make an External hard drive. that's the gist of it. I searched the internet and found an article confirming what i had seen

Nintendo dismisses Wii hard-disk talk
'Who needs it?'
By Luke Guttridge
1 November 2007

Nintendo has once again put to bed suggestions that a Wii hard-disk could - and perhaps should - be in en route. In fact, the platform holder insists that despite gamers bemoaning the console's limited memory capacity, there is no need for game data to be stored within the Wii.

"The way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive," responded Nintendo of America PR manager, Eric Walter.

"When you buy a game, it's yours forever, so you can delete it, and go back and get it at any time you want. In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on."

Walter's answer is unlikely to appease the clamours, however, particular from gamers used to space issues related to multiple games, and of course Virtual Console downloads. Indeed, it seems likely that Nintendo are working on a larger storage solution, but given this PR chap's response, we'd say it's some way off.

http://play.tm/story/14249

I don't actually own an Ipod, but if i were to put my collection of music onto one
1) I would get one big enough for my collection and
2) i wouldn't delete it off. If i bought the CD, I LIKE THE SONGS. thus, i don't ever get tired of it. Why the hell would i want to keep re adding something whenever the mood strikes me anyways. Too much effort for me. It's there at all times, for whenever i DO feel like playing a game or music. Whenever i'm not in the mood for it, i know that it's there, waiting for me whenever i need my fix.

Comparing themselves to the Ipod was pretty much stupid. thats what i think.

Other than that, the Memory issue doesn't really bother me all that much (right now), but i know some of you on this forum have this issue. thought i'd post this for you guys.

I'm actually happy about this news.

I wouldn't have bought a harddrive unless something in Brawl needed it. Now that I know it won't, I'm glad. I have an SD Card and I haven't even used a quarter of the Wii's memory.

i think a harddrive is a good idea. i have all the channels and 5 vc games. i have lots of vids and music on my sd card so i'm running out of room. my internet is slow so it takes FOREVER to download vc games so it isn't worth deleting them. you can easily run out of money buying sd cards a £15 a time so hurry up and get it made nintendo!

^Yes, I can see how this would be a huge disappointment to many people.

However, I have only about 5 games, no VC titles and no Music/Vids (until such channels are given to us) and so the Wii's memory will be plenty for my games/channels (all I'm using it for) and the SD's memory will be plenty for Brawl (all I'll use it for).

Perfect :yesnod:

tomass999 said:
i think a harddrive is a good idea. i have all the channels and 5 vc games. i have lots of vids and music on my sd card so i'm running out of room. my internet is slow so it takes FOREVER to download vc games so it isn't worth deleting them. you can easily run out of money buying sd cards a £15 a time so hurry up and get it made nintendo!

how do you play videos on your wii? i know you can play music through the picture channel but, videos?

and i think a hard drive is a good idea because what about the people who have really slow internet and don't think its worth it to delete games and download them later when they want to play them again.

and nintendo should put a update on the wii that allows you to use external hard drives that they would make or some made for computers that are hooked into a network.

damnit its not the fact nintendo that we can just put it back on and start off where we left it takes hours...days....to reaplay all that music is always the same, games artn..damnit damnit damnit
dissapointed

Nintendo93 said:
Nintendo could have done so many things right for it's more hardcore audience and once again we're left in the dust. Ahh well... I'm glad I got a 360.

Nintendo was right when it said it would make a great second console.

Have my heart set on a 360 and Halo 3. Just came back from a LAN party and did surprisingly well. Metroid Prime beefed up my Shooting skills hahaha.
Nothing would make me more happy than slaughtering bad guys to the music of Dream Theater.

Its not the fact that we're not getting expanded memory, but all the other things nintendo is doing to lure in the casual audience while slowly pushing away the more Hardcore people. Of course they have hooks to keep us on the line with them. Like SSBB. Those clever bastards.

With the launch of Wii Ware titles coming up, it looks like the memory will be stretched even further. Let's hope they get their act together soon regarding this issue.

413-arLRbuL._AA280_.jpg

darkmummy9 said:
how do you play videos on your wii? i know you can play music through the picture channel but, videos?

and i think a hard drive is a good idea because what about the people who have really slow internet and don't think its worth it to delete games and download them later when they want to play them again.

and nintendo should put a update on the wii that allows you to use external hard drives that they would make or some made for computers that are hooked into a network.

the wii plays mjpeg videos

I've had a Wii for only 10 months and I've almost completely filled up the memory. With all the VC and Wiiware games out/coming out I can honestly say the Wii would be a lot better with a hard drive, and I'm sure most people will agree with me. Nintendo should give the fans what they want instead of dictating what they think we should want.

Idiot said:
The way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive

See what I mean? Nintendo isn't happy that we're all buying their consoles again, they want to tell you how you should use those consoles.

Idiot said:
In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on.

I thought the whole point of an iPod was so we wouldn't have to bother swapping songs around all the time?

LevesqueIsKing said:
I'm actually happy about this news.

I wouldn't have bought a harddrive unless something in Brawl needed it. Now that I know it won't, I'm glad. I have an SD Card and I haven't even used a quarter of the Wii's memory.

I agree, I have rented/played many games..downloaded a few etc.
I have so much memory still that is left.
Sure I would have more with the drive, but we don't need one.

Back