Face it, Blu-Ray is needed

i agree lol, how does using needed and new technology a mistake? How far are we into the consoles life cycle? Sony is doing what they have always done. Slow at first but picks up. People seem to hate change or new technology. I love it when new tech is used. People have to wise up and realize that new tech is never cheap tech. Hey I wanted a next gen system, and thats what I got. If you want something not next gen, be happy with your wii or partially next gen get the 360. No rule says everyone has to have 3 systems. I like all systems, but only one pushes next gen to where it should be.

Last edited:
GamerCon said:
What do you think made the PS1/2 so successful? The PS1 used CD's which in the past only failed and the PS2 used DVD's which they (the media and people) said would ruin the PS2. So if the PS3 stuck with their formula than that would mean they would have to use something other than a DVD.

I really dont see this as a mistake.
Both CD and DVD were the standard formats at the time of inclusion, Blueray is not yet.

The PS1 and PS2 were more affordable systems to most people, they were marketed well and brought gaming to a different group of people than before. They sold a lot of units which led to a lot of games being available and made them the number one systems of their gens. Basically affordable systems with affordable games that sold to anybody.

PS3 is going the opposite route, they have a small user base so it wont have a flood of games like the PS1/PS2 had and its seen as being an expensive system. Where as the PS2 was an everyman machine the PS3 risks being an elitist only system.

GamerCon said:
http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2000/10/27/playstation_rant/index.html

Read that and tell me PS2 DVD was a standard and cheap/affordable.
DVD was a standard format not for consoles or games but for movies, thats what i meant. Blueray isnt a standard format yet.

I guess the PS2 was quite expensive on release although it wasnt far off the other systems available at the time (i paid over $500 for an N64 at release)other than the Dreamcast (Segas console was great but i think they had lost the general publics confidence due to previous poor consoles) but the PS1 fanbase probably carried the PS2 through till price drops and a massive library of games was available. The PS2 fanbase dosent seem to be adopting the PS3 in quite the same way though and Sony cant afford big price drops on a machine that they already lose money on.

Well even though DVD was wide spread, PS2 was still in the wrong for using it. So it really comes down to, does it even matter? No, Sony will always get hit for something and those people who said 'it wont do to good or using that is not a good idea' kick themselves cause now instead of them releasing a new one that uses the "Future product", they are sitting back and just making games. Sony doesnt have to go and make a new console every year just to compensate for something the previous one lacked, they can make a new one thats even better. I think its rediculus the 360 has 3 versions. What have they been working on for a year? A new 360. Why do they have to do that? Cause they didnt have HD in the first ones.

Microsoft made the mistake, im surprised anyone still got the "Elite". People say "If you want a PS3 just get a PC" but i dont hear "Out now for PS3 and Windows" i hear "Out now for Xbox360 and Windows". You really want Sony to release a "new" PS3 every year like MS is doing with the 360? I dont.

Until other systems start to use BlueRay or the HD movie industry war ends, BlueRay will not be an industry standard. If Sony wants to see their newest technological creation win, they will need to work hand in hand with other companies to ensure that the hardware and software mesh.

One of te reasons BetaMax failed as a consumer standard is because they, Sony, used proprietary formats and deivces for the products. People want selections and choices, they don't want to be told, buy this or you won't be able to enjoy high quality, crystal clear entertainment. Make sure Panasonic, LG, Hitachi, and anyone else who wants to make consumer grade HD disc playing products, can easily develop them to match their HD televisions.

Sony may also struggle because of known flaws in past systems. The orginal Playstation that would only work if you flipped the console upside down. The PS2 that would no longer read the CD standard discs forcing consumers to buy the new slimline PStwo model. These are reasons some may be cautious to shell out $600+ (US) for an entertainment system. Sony's track record with past "industry standards" for laser quality have been significantly below par. If you look at the numbers of PS2's and PStwo's sold worldwide, it does not account for repeat purchases of product after the warranty has expired. These reasons make people a bit pessimistic about PS3 and BlueRay.

You know the 360 has had the worst problems i have ever heard of. The one that i didnt believe was how it burned disc's. That thing has a worst track record and they have money to spend but refuse to fix a lot of problems. At least Sony is on top of things.

What system does not have problems? Yes the 360 has had its share, as has the Wii, but don't discount the problems of Playstation past and present because another system has its share of problems.

I am not anti Sony, I own a Sony HD TV, Sony DVD player, Sony Reciever, PSX and PStwo (PS2 before that) to mention a few. The system has yet to wow me and BlueRay has yet to prove it is the needed thing for this generation.

Having a PS2 you would know, they did the right thing with DVD. So what if they did what other people were saying, just used a normal CD drive? It would have been cheaper and easier. PS1/2 didnt have great games at launch either. I dont think about PS as 'What can you give me now' I think of it as "What am I investing in" and i know they will not fail to bring the best games. If it was a thousand dollars, i would pay that too cause i know it will pay off in the end. Nintendo, I gave them GC money and they pushed back Zelda to Wii launch. So i just gave them GC money for nothing. I got nothing from them in return.

And Final Fantasy XIII will not be on 360.

GamerCon said:
Having a PS2 you would know, they did the right thing with DVD. So what if they did what other people were saying, just used a normal CD drive? It would have been cheaper and easier. PS1/2 didnt have great games at launch either. I dont think about PS as 'What can you give me now' I think of it as "What am I investing in" and i know they will not fail to bring the best games. If it was a thousand dollars, i would pay that too cause i know it will pay off in the end. Nintendo, I gave them GC money and they pushed back Zelda to Wii launch. So i just gave them GC money for nothing. I got nothing from them in return.

And Final Fantasy XIII will not be on 360.
You kind of support the Blueray is not needed right now point of view with that statement as you are thinking of it more for the future than the gaming of today.

What makes you so sure that PS3 will deliver the best games? You must have had a similar view when buying a GC and then felt let down, but what if in the future the PS3 dosent deliver whats expected of it? You would be saying exactly the same thing about paying for a PS3 and getting nothing in return from Sony.

raisinghelen said:
You kind of support the Blueray is not needed right now point of view with that statement as you are thinking of it more for the future than the gaming of today.

The future of gaming starts with the gaming of today. If todays standards do not push the limits of gaming, how can we expect the future of gaming to be any different. Look at how PC gaming evolves and ask yourself how consoles differ. Too many companies consider consoles as a toy that has to reach children, which is part of the problem. We are in an age where there is a lot of console gaming competition, where you have the wii/ds for kids and older folk (new gamers), the 360 and the PS3 which targets older gamers. I think its great each system can find its niche for their respective audiences, but in no way is trying to stay up to date and pushing the limits of gaming a mistake made by sony. The more competition you have, the more selective you can be. There is a demand for next gen gaming. Who is going to provide it?

Shiftfallout said:
The future of gaming starts with the gaming of today. If todays standards do not push the limits of gaming, how can we expect the future of gaming to be any different.

I certainly agree with this, and Sony has been a pioneer on almost any product they create.

I'm a Palm/PPC user. When Sony was in the handheld (not gaming) business almost every device they came up with was innovative and exciting. After Sony withdrew from that market it has become pretty much stagnant.

I did not have much faith in the PS3, but after doing a lot of research (on standards, capabilities, etc) I'm pretty much convinced on buying one on my next trip to the US (probably july :cornut:)

Shiftfallout said:
The future of gaming starts with the gaming of today. If todays standards do not push the limits of gaming, how can we expect the future of gaming to be any different. Look at how PC gaming evolves and ask yourself how consoles differ. Too many companies consider consoles as a toy that has to reach children, which is part of the problem. We are in an age where there is a lot of console gaming competition, where you have the wii/ds for kids and older folk (new gamers), the 360 and the PS3 which targets older gamers. I think its great each system can find its niche for their respective audiences, but in no way is trying to stay up to date and pushing the limits of gaming a mistake made by sony. The more competition you have, the more selective you can be. There is a demand for next gen gaming. Who is going to provide it?
I agree that Sony has been an innovator and they did change the view of games consoles just being childrens toys. They brought gaming to a generation that was more interested in night clubs than computer games and made gaming more trendy, games like Wipeout pretty much had dance tracks for the music which helped hook this crowd in. I dont think that the PS3 really targets the same crowd as the PS1/PS2 did though, it seems more for those who are interested in the latest technology and that always comes at a price, perhaps it is too high a price for the people they hooked in with the PS1 and the PS2.

The continuing advances in PC gaming is a good point too and of course consoles have to advance as well. High end PCs are above the PS3 though and PC gaming hasnt seemed to need Blueray or HDDVD for games yet so how necessary is it really?

There is no doubt that the PS3 is a great machine and more competition is always a good thing for consumers. I just think that Blueray was a mistake as it causes more doubts with potential customers and will probably continue to do so until it becomes the recognized HD standard.

raisinghelen said:
more competition is always a good thing for consumers.
That isn't always true. What turns a profit is what you put in and what you get out. Once it gets to a point whereby you are getting out all you can, but it's still not enough to make shareholders happy, you decrease what you put in. In essence, when competition is soo stiff that everyone is virtually running at an even break, they will enivitably make sure that they use the more "cost-effect" input into a product. This means cheaper made components, cheaper both in price and in quality. In essence the market begins to suffer as a result of what could be considered "over-fishing".

Heck, it's why lifespans of products such as VHS systems, VHS cassettes, even DVD players to a certain extent, are shorter or the product loses it's quality, sometimes both.

Not all that relevant to the topic at hand, but I do feel that too much competition can hinder rather than help the consumer.

Back