Future Wii Speculation

A DS was cheaper. They always came out with an updated handheld system.
Gameboy>Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Advance> Gameboy Advance SP
The only one that didnt have a newer model was the Gameboy Color.

It has been already said they'l eventually make a DVD movie playing Wii late this year or sometime next. It also is "more than a firmware update" so it cant just be downloaded to work.

RJU690 said:
What do you speculate the future of the Nintendo Wii is regarding possible hardware revisions, upcoming controllers, and things in that nature?

1. Many of us are aware that Nintendo is planning to release a Nintendo Wii cabable of DVD playback and possibly in other colors in the latter half of this year.

Sweet stuff. Here's hoping you don't have to buy a whole new console for the DVD playback. It needs to be a software update of some sort. The device already has a DVD-Rom, so there's no reason why a software update couldn't provide the DVD playback. I guess it's really not that important to me though as I've got a 360 which does upscaling.

2. I have heard talk of external hard drives as well.

Doubtful. There's no point in this one. You can get SD cards up to 8GB (and that's always expanding) and there's nothing they're offering that's big enough to warrant a larger HDD.

3. Also, many on this forum have theorizied that Nintendo is developing an enhanced sensor bar.

I'd like some evidence of this, but hey, enhanced is never bad.

4. Do you think Nintendo will offer another hardware revision that would allow the Wii to have HD output?

VERY doubtful. The hardware doesn't really have the capabilities to render the games in HD. There are some games out there that don't even support Progressive Scan... 480p on some levels is considered a "little bit" HD since you get a better picture with it, but I'd bet serious money you won't be seeing 720p or higher.

5. What do you think the likelyhood is that Nintendo will produce more accurate and improved Wii remotes in the future?

I'd say wait for their next console to expect anything like this. It'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold on to this one. Wii is the first generation of this new widespread motion control stuff and as such it's not perfect. They did a fantastic job for a first gen console.

6. Will Wii offer new hardware revisions many years later such as the recent Xbox 360 Elite?

Lets hope not. The "keep it simple stupid" rule is lost on Microsoft. All they're doing with the Elite is alienating the vast majority of their market. A level playing field to keep down the disgruntled customers is ALWAYS better.

Please share your thoughts here.

There you have it. :)

Last edited:
gpoleweski said:
Well if they do they make a new version of the wii, poeple who've bought a wii will only have to pay like $100 and trade in the old wii. (****, we're going too far with this talk)

The thing is, if you add up all the games, controllers, the console, and the GC stuff I've bought for my wii, you get:

Wii - $250
Wiiplay - $50
Wiimotes x 2 - $80
Nunchuck x 3 - $60
2 Wii games - $100
1GB SD card - $18 (on sale @ bestbuy)
2 GC games - $60
GC memory card - $10
2 GC controllers - $30 (Shark branded cheap stuff)

This adds up to $658 + TX 8% tax = $711

The point is, I don't want to have to sell my Wii and go out and buy a new one. We have all sunk major money and time into our investment and it'd be insulting if they just left us in the dust.

I feel the same way about my 360 and the new 360 Elite. The problem is, nintendo has a habit of completely dropping their old product when coming out with an "upgrade" version. You can see this in the GB-SP and the DS-Lite. They just totally dropped their old version. I currently have a 1st gen DS and can't get any accessories for it anymore...

gpoleweski said:
Well for the DS they didn't completely change it they just made it sleeker and more stylish.

But almost all the accessories for the 1st gen no longer work and the ones for the 2nd gen don't work on the first. They're two very different sizes and shapes. So as it stands, I can't buy anything new (accessories) for my 1st gen and if I bought a 2nd gen none of the accessories that I DO have would work with it.

I might add, I was looking at your sig, and you have the exact same Wii setup I do except I have 4 motes and 4 chucks. Same games and stuff. :-D

i think if nintendo do that they could loose a few cutomers. Mainly because who wants to buy a wii, show faith in the system then a year or 2 down the line be told to get a new updated wii so you can watch a dvd or have some better graphics.....to be hnst with you....i would think twice.

Yeah, I think the best idea (and also the most likely) is that, hardware wise, the wii itself will not change for years. I expect the option for external hard disks, and other usb peripherals will appear, as well as possibly 3rd party wiimotes and sensor bars if nintendo don't provide any of their own. One of the wiis selling points is its simplicity, it definitely doesnt need a variation of itself to complicate its marketing.

I expect to see a newer, hi def wii in about 4-5 years.

Hickeroar said:
But almost all the accessories for the 1st gen no longer work and the ones for the 2nd gen don't work on the first. They're two very different sizes and shapes. So as it stands, I can't buy anything new (accessories) for my 1st gen and if I bought a 2nd gen none of the accessories that I DO have would work with it.

I might add, I was looking at your sig, and you have the exact same Wii setup I do except I have 4 motes and 4 chucks. Same games and stuff. :-D

they will not make a "better" Wii like they did for the NDS and the NDS lite...that Nintendo only does the face lifts for handheld consoles (they did not d that with ethe n64 but they did with the gameboy; they did not do it to the Gamecube but they did it to the GBA .. get the drift?) anyhow, there were modchips out forgot which one that could make the Wii read DVD's .. that is why a Firmware update is all the Wii needs to play DVD movies. Also the current games that the Wii games are on are DVD.

I speculate...

that the next nintendo console will be called Wii2.. or rather the official title "WiiWii"

The tag line is, "Nintendos WiiWii, now you're playing with Power"

Back