Nintendo Wii - Hard Drive On The Way?

Well if you do mean sig, I'm sorry I don't make sigs for anybody, especially someone with only seven posts. Just go request one in the design section, there are plenty of people there that would make you one probably of better quality than I could.

I dont buy it. Ninty released the Wii because they wanted it family friendly and they wanted it's price to make it available to any age.

A hard drive would be moving in the opposite direction of both of these goals.

Where would an external hard drive plug into the present Wii form factor? Or would it only be for new Wii's (lets call them Wii2's.)

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
USB Port:shocked:

And sorry the rumor is false, read here:

http://news.spong.com/article/12780?cb=7

It is speculation (read the gonintendo link--IGN isn't starting a rumor, just saying there is an obvious need). But your link doesn't say the theory is false, just that it is speculation.

"It is pure rumour and speculation and none of it is based in any fact or announcement."

What did "spong" do? Call the 1-800 number?

wiisgood said:
Where would an external hard drive plug into the present Wii form factor? Or would it only be for new Wii's (lets call them Wii2's.)
This is what I have been pondering. Im fairly certain that they could make a hard-(disk?) that could plug into the wii's usb port(s).

what does this sound like to you?

SPOnG had the presence of mind to speak to a Nintendo representative on the subject who said, "It is pure rumour and speculation and none of it is based in any fact or announcement." Chalk up a point for Nintendo on the SPOnG Industry BS Index - there is no 'fact' behind the rumour.

There is NO FACT BEHIND THE RUMOR. It's just a rumor like 95% of everything else.

LevesqueIsKing said:
This is what I have been pondering. Im fairly certain that they could make a hard-(disk?) that could plug into the wii's usb port(s).

And yes they can add a hard drive to the Wii. It would just need a system update for it to work. It's not a question of will it happen, it's a question on when.

Last edited:
AZ_Wii_Tard said:
what does this sound like to you?

There is NO FACT BEHIND THE RUMOR. It's just a rumor like 95% of everything else.

Nobody said it was a fact. IGN never even got around to starting a rumor (though if they had, the denial of the Nintendo janitor "spong" got a hold of wasn't all that convincing. A denial = "Nintendo is not releasing a hard drive", they said "We never told anyone Nintendo was release a HD"). So you basically just posted that IGN would call speculation was... wait for it, speculation. Not a big scoop.

So you are pissed because they did not name the representative they talked to. So what, they got some info and had someone from Nintendo turn it down saying it was a rumor.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
And yes they can add a hard drive to the Wii. It would just need a system update for it to work. It's not a question of will it happen, it's a question on when.
Im not an expert at this, but i DO know that it would take more than an update to add a significant amount of memory to the hard drive. You cant just update and poof now you have 100 gb of memory to store on your wii.

LevesqueIsKing said:
Im not an expert at this, but i DO know that it would take more than an update to add a significant amount of memory to the hard drive. You cant just update and poof now you have 100 gb of memory to store on your wii.

Not really. Actually it really easy. All you would need to do is update your Wii from a download that Nintendo release and you can hook up a HD through your USB. Same goes for a wireless keyboard and mouse for the internet channel.

here is another article to support my finding:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/04/wii-hard-drive-rumor-resurfaces-nintendo-calls-it-pure-specula/

Last edited:
AZ_Wii_Tard said:
Not really. Actually it really easy. All you would need to do is update your Wii from a download that Nintendo release and you can hook up a HD through your USB. Same goes for a wireless keyboard and mouse for the internet channel.

here is another article to support my finding:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/04/wii-hard-drive-rumor-resurfaces-nintendo-calls-it-pure-specula/
I'm really hoping for this, as soon as I saw the USBs in the back of my Wii the first thought that came to my mind was whether or not I'd be able to plug in my external hard drive in right away. I was a bit disappointed but I'm really hoping that does happen when E3 rolls around. It would really suck if they stuck with the SD cards or forced you to use a Nintendo made external hard drive.

RDBRaptor said:
It would really suck if they stuck with the SD cards or forced you to use a Nintendo made external hard drive.
if nintendo do make there own hardrive i recon we will see mods to convert are external/internal hardrives into wii drives

Using the "excuse" of Neo Geo VC games as the driving force behind the external hard drive is extremely weak. First the majority of Wii owners are not the same people who owned a Neo Geo console. Back in 93 the console alone was 650$ and each game was around 200$! A few cartridges are still being released but do you personally know anyone who owns one?

Most of you forget that the Neo Geo was still cartridge based. The original spec was around 40MB,,, remember how the startup screen said "330 MEGA PRO GEAR SPEC" ? Even the later games with multiple rom banks had a maximum uncompressed size of 90MB. A 2gb Sandisk SD card can be purchased for under 20$ shipped and could easily hold all the VC titles you would ever want.

Last... any real fan of Neo Geo already owns either an AES and/or MVS home console and not the junk NeoCD. I invite you to do a search on ebay for AES Neo Geo under completed items...

Still a HD would be nice for adding music, photos, games, and other content. It's just a matter of time that's all.

Back