HD DVD Vs Blu-Ray

Which will succeed?

• HD DVD

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Blu-ray

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm saying that both of them will fail on this next console generation life spam(witch I think that will last about 5-6years) of course that in 10 years time, one of them will prevail.

I am down with both. The entertainment business has grown so much in the past decade that there is room for two HD media sources. Both will do JUST fine.

I read somewhere that Blu-ray is more fragile. I think it gets scratched easier or something, not totaly sure though. Im supporting HD though.

HD DVD. For 1 its cheaper and for 2 there's only a slight deference in picture quality. Some may not even be able to tell the difference. The biggest difference is the disk space it has. Truthfully DVD's still are best.

Well vhs beat beta (dispite being beter qual)(5h1t im old)

It was the price VHS was cheaper

BBC said:
A US patent has been filed for the discs that could hold both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray versions of movies.

Currently movie makers and technology companies are dividing into camps that back either one or the other of the two formats.

The creation of the discs could end the looming battle over the different high-definition formats.

Format wars

The design of the disc patented in the US would have three layers. One for a standard DVD version of a film and then one for each of the competing formats.

The innovation is thought to be possible because the rival formats store data on the discs at different depths.

Using reflective films should make it possible to store data for one movie format in one layer but to see through that, if needed, to the deeper layer which has the same movie in the rival format.

The engineers behind the idea reportedly work for the Warner Brothers movie studio.

The idea could end the potential confusion that consumers face as high-definition films in different formats start to go on sale.

Few movie studios are planning to release films in both high-definition formats; the majority are backing Blu-ray. Only three are backing HD-DVD.

This week movie studio Universal announced it would not support the Sony-backed Blu-Ray format.

In late September Warner Brothers will release the first movie in both high-definition formats.

For consumers the issue is made more confusing because Microsoft and Sony have backed different formats for their next generation games consoles.

Industry analysts have predicted that the confusion could mean the market for high-definition movies is stunted until one format becomes dominant.
Source
Wow. This would inevitably strike a blow to both Microsoft and Sony!

Nice! It would save us from having to fork out for two different players, plus both Sony and Toshiba are kept happy since they would still get a cut of the money form each disc sold.

Sony has iron clad patents on Blu-Ray, there is no way someone else is going to step in and get a patent. But, what this company is trying to do is just get a patent on a disk that holds both, not on the actual formats themselves. If this ever did happen I am guessing that Sony (Blu-Ray) and Microsoft (HD-DVD) would just split the royalties which can completely work out if both companies are willing to do so. Also, this would end the format war once and for all. I'm all for it. Keep us posted on this developing story Squall.

Meh vhs was more fun
all that black tape

a few hundred dvds
rebuy sod that

you dont have to replace your dvd colection with blu-ray just like nobody has to replace VHS with DVD. All you need to do is start buying the new stuff. thats the main point imo. I support the blue ray because it is annoying to switch discs and with one disk you can keep track of them easier.

Dark Void said:
I support the blue ray because it is annoying to switch discs and with one disk you can keep track of them easier.

But HDDVD is more DVD like... and all HDDVD players play DVDs, whereas not all Blu-Ray players play DVDs.

Back