How many More Unlockables? A Speculatory Thread...

Druidan

WiiChat Member
Sep 8, 2007
Wii Online Code
7439-8958-0815-9629
My first Ever Thread! Huzzah!

Alright, so I posted this in another thread, but really it's sort of off topic there and needed it's own thing. Here you go:

If all of the characters on the dojo aside from snake and sonic are the starting roster, then how many unlockables will there be? Well, let's look at Melee first. It had a total of 25 characters, 26 if you include sheik separately. 11 of those were unlockable. Just shy of half of the total characters were unlockable.

Okay, now Brawl's starting roster is just shy of the total number of characters from Melee. in other words the number of starters has almost doubled (give or take about 5). If those numbers extend to the unlockables, then let's just double the unlockables from Melee.

That's 22 unlockable characters. Now let's scale it back to 20 just for posterity. How many characters do we know/have-reasonably-strong-evidence-for that aren't amongst the starters? Snake and Sonic for sure (2). Ness, Jigglypuff and Lucario are almost certain (3). Game & Watch, Mewtwo, Marth, Captain Falcon, Luigi and Ganondorf to round out characters that had unique movesets or are likely to return(6). And even if you really wanted to, you could throw in Falco (1).

That's 12 characters total that have some moderately strong basis for appearing or re-appearing in Brawl. That leaves 8! (FREAKING 8!!!!!!) total empty slots for unlockable characters. Heck even if you threw in ALL of Melees characters you've still got 4! But for the rest of this discussion I'll consider it as 8.

Feel Free to fill in who you think are likely candidates for the slots, really this doesn't need to turn into a thread discussing which characters we'd like to see in Brawl, but since I've never done so, I'll throw in my opinion.

1. Krystal - She's got a real strong chance, IMO
2. Geno - Hotly debated and all, I like the guy and SMRPG is an important part of my early gaming experience.
3. Megaman - I don't like his shaky chances, but if there is any other 3rd party character more deserving to get in, I'd doubt it.
4. Dr. Robotnick - Don't give me eggman crap, I'm oldschool man. lol. Every Hero needs a villain.
5. Ridley - In the vein of villains, I think Ridley has the best shot of inclusion when compared to Dark Samus...
6. Dark Samus - ...But i wouldn't count Dark Samus out. She doesn't have to be a clone as the inherent corruption and light/dark powers could give rise to an awesome unique movest.
7. Black Shadow - Captain Falcon's Nemesis
8. Isaac - Hero from Golden Sun (Golden Sun's Composer is working on the game, giving extra boost to his chances)

Honorable Mentions:
The Masked Man - Earthbound/Mother villain.
Eggplant Wizard - Kid Icarus Villain
Cell-Shaded Link - An ever unpopular version of Link amongst Brawl fans, I think he not only has a shot, but has enough possible variety for a moveset to make him anything but a clone.
Bowser Jr. - Unlikely as a character, IMO.
Ray - Custom Robo series
Simon Belmont - Unlikely chances, but an awesome idea, IMO.
DeMille - Similarly unlikely, but another personal fav.
Viewitful Joe - Again, unlikely, but fun idea.

Of course this is just if my calculations are anything remotely resembling correctness. I could be horribly wrong and we may know all of the unlockable characters already (luigi, jigglypuff, Lucario, Ness, Snake, Sonic). But when I think of how sure Sakurai is when he says that the number of playable characters will blow us away, and about how the numbers game I just played is so good-looking, I can't help but be confident that we'll be seeing a LOT of unlockable characters.

What do you all think?

8 characters huh? All right, lets see...

1) Ridley: A very good possibility, and I'd love to see him pwn Kirby
2) Black Shadow: F-Zero needs another representitave, it was one of the original series in smash.
3) King K. Rool: say what you will, he'd be a great character. And DK needs a bad guy!
4) Issac: I haven't actually played Golden Sun, but this character seems more and more likely.
5) Skull Kid: You all know he'd be awesome...
6) Geno: This guy is EXTREMELY popular and wanted, and Square Enix being in the credits for brawl heightens his chances
7) Krystal/Wolf: I personally think starfox has enough reps (Dark Samus PLEASE!!!) but it seems highly likely one of these two will be joining the roster, so in they go.
8) Banjo Kazooie: Perhaps the most fit character for brawl. Although his chances are pitiful, I'd be ecstatic to see him.

If I had to put money on the 8 characters I think are likely candidates, taking into consideration Sakurai's poll and popular opinion, they are (in no particular order):

1. Krystal
2. King K. Rool
3. Megaman
4. Geno
5. Isaac
6. Bowser Jr.
7. Another Metroid character (But who?)
8. Animal Crosser

islandvic said:
If I had to put money on the 8 characters I think are likely candidates, taking into consideration Sakurai's poll and popular opinion, they are (in no particular order):

1. Krystal
2. King K. Rool
3. Megaman
4. Geno
5. Isaac
6. Bowser Jr.
7. Another Metroid character (But who?)
8. Animal Crosser
I've got one word for you: Ridley

ooooookay, let's not turn this into another hotly debated "Ridley for Brawl" thread, kay guys? :yesnod:

Do you think my unlockables theory holds water? I sure hope so. We could be looking at about 43-45 characters if it's true.

I think this is a pretty fair assumption. I'm really looking for a 40 character roster, but even 35 would be great...

Anyway, it depends if this is the last Smash Bros. or not. If it is, he will certainly include the likes of Ridley, Isaac, Megaman, etc. (all the popular ones that made it high on the polls). However, if this isn't the last game, I doubt he'll include all the characters people want so badly. He needs to save something for future installments.

Druidan said:
ooooookay, let's not turn this into another hotly debated "Ridley for Brawl" thread, kay guys? :yesnod:

Do you think my unlockables theory holds water? I sure hope so. We could be looking at about 43-45 characters if it's true.
lol don't worry I save that stuff for the REAL "Ridley for Brawl" thread.
Your unlockables theory seems pretty solid to me; I sure hope youre right at least because I've been hearing a lot of people saying "35 characters is the max number and ROB and Wolf are the only new ones that havent been revealed"

Well if Sakurai really builds Smash Bros. Like he says he does (He says he makes each one like it's going to be the last one) then you're right, we'll see everything and the kitchen sink (which I've heard has a wicked moveset). With this installment I really think it'll be hard to make another one that tops it.

Personally, I think that they will only be able to get maybe one more installment out of SSB in the genre it is currently, and after that we'll see the franchise expand. We're already seeing it in SSE, as a full-fledged 2-D style platforming game, with cut-scenes and everything. Personally I drool at the thought of an RPG style Brawl Game that really fully expands on a storyline. In that format you could go absolutely crazy with fanservice by flushing out the individual worlds, characters and items. But that's just my personal desire, and I don't see Sakurai being interested in the project too much himself (He admits to not putting too much thought into things like storylines. He brought in the FFVII writer to help with SSE's storyline.)
If it is done, I don't think Sakurai will be very involved, if at all, which may be very unfortunate...

ah, it's all just crazy speculation anyways... :crazy:

GigaRidley said:
"35 characters is the max number and ROB and Wolf are the only new ones that havent been revealed"

Ug, that would be SAD. And I quite frankly I think the ROB Idea is just..... looney.... *shrug*

Last edited:
oops....... doublepoast.... my bad....

I sure hope youre right...
If sakurai makes each one like it's the last, then ridley should totally be in it. This would answer the prayers of metroid fans EVERYWHERE.

eight characters seem reasonable...it would make it 9 new ones if Lucario is included.

1) Ridley: for reasons, there's a thread about it somewhere
2) King K. Rool: I think rather than another monkey, DK series could use the always-tricky K. Rool
3) Krystal: No one in the star fox series can offer a more different gameplay, since Krystal is pretty much the only one not to be originally a pilot. Plus, the staff would make a unique fighting style.
4) Animal Crosser: seems likely, and I wouldn't mind it.
5) Sukapon: this is one of my most random favorites. It'd be like Brawl's G&W.
6) Third Party Character: Megaman would make sense, but Sora would be neat. There's also bomberman, pacman, etc. Oh, and I count Geno in here too.
7) Bowser Jr: gut feeling.
8) Hector: I love Fire Emblem, and there'd be nothing more awesome than having Hector deliver massive pain with his wolfbeil axe (or better, Armads). I don't see him getting the spot, but I'd love it if he did.

I think all those are likely except Sukapon and Hector...those I put in 'cause to me they're awesome.

anax4aero said:
eight characters seem reasonable...it would make it 9 new ones if Lucario is included.

Well, actually my full theory of unlockables is there are 20 and that Lucario is one of them. The eight characters are characters we don't have any proof for being confirmed yet (aside from Krystal). hm... yeah. :yesnod:

Druidan said:
Well, actually my full theory of unlockables is there are 20 and that Lucario is one of them. The eight characters are characters we don't have any proof for being confirmed yet (aside from Krystal). hm... yeah. :yesnod:

yea, I got that...but those eight along with Lucario are 9 new characters, since Lucario is still not officially confirmed, just leaked. And the returning veterans are not really new.

anyways...Druidan's full theory of unlockables...sounds much more serious.

anax4aero said:
yea, I got that...but those eight along with Lucario are 9 new characters, since Lucario is still not officially confirmed, just leaked. And the returning veterans are not really new.

anyways...Druidan's full theory of unlockables...sounds much more serious.

LOL :lol: You're right it does sound more serious. And I get your point 'bout Lucario now. Cool beans.

Back