I made a thread regarding news on Wii homebrew and it was deleted

ciper

May 1, 2007
▐▄█▀█▄▌
As the subject says I created a thread regarding the new version of the DVD-SD utility that was recently released and it was deleted. I spent time to make sure the post was formatted properly, cited sources and included screenshots. I think this is big news considering the improved speed combined with support for spanning smaller SD cards.

The utility would be useful for people who do not want to download large files and stay within the law of their country. There was no copyrighted material or instructions on how to use the resulting files. Since I do not have permission to post in the News forum I thought that Hardware was the best fit.

So my question is - why was the thread deleted? I would contribute more to the site if I wasn't worried my news would be deleted with no notification of the reason. Its not fun spending time on an article and have it disappear. If it was because I used the hardware forum instead of general chat couldn't you at least have moved it?

Edit: Was it because I posted a link to another forum?

Last edited:
suprisingly it wasn't me who deleted it but i know why it was,

homebrews are a :nono: and illegal to support

Using homebrew applications to run copies of licensed software may be illegal but the applications themselves aren't. For example Gamecube Linux. It doesnt infringe and is completely legal to run.

It surprises me that the thread was deleted because it gave an alternative to downloading files from the internet. Instead it allowed you to use the games you already own and create backups. Seems like this should be supported on Wiichat moreso than the discussion of downloaded games.

Last edited:
maybe the mod who deleted it thought otherwise.

you need to know how to do disclaimers like me lol i may SHOW where to go but i always conclude with “use at your own risk” so you don't advocate the wrong ideas you want to enlighten us with

The part that kills me is that I thought I was well within the rules. I could have easily posted many other clearly illegal topics and refrained. I kept the post informative without giving too many details to those who wouldn't have been exposed to the software in the past.

If the mod who deleted the post would have asked me to edit it and remove the offending portion or put a disclaimer I would have been glad. Instead the post disappeared into the ether.

It confuses me that Wiichat regularly drives its members to other forums. I would think the rule would be to embrace new ideas and prevent members from doing something wrong. For example there is almost zero information about preventing a system brick on this forum. If someone uses this forum as their sole source of Wii information it would be easy for them to damage the system.

Last edited:
sorry bud

i think it was permanently deleted so i cant even see where you went wrong

Here is an example of someone who broke their Wii because they didn't know better http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii...-menu-not-working.html?highlight=brickblocker

I would have already posted news about the Wii BrickBlocker application that prevents this issue if I didnt think it would be deleted. Now the guy is essentially screwed.

Many times Ive thought of creating a FAQ to prevent damage to your Wii. This is impossible with the current deletion and locking that happens when threads discuss modified consoles and imported games.

Last edited:
unfortunately theres the liability of “kid gets wii. kid googles wii. kid gets modification ideas. kid attempts to mod. kid f*cks up wii”

thats what it essentially comes down to. where some members can bypass this, they really cant share the information and support it unless its private say though AIM where no one knows about it

well i dont see any reason for it to have been deleted because homebrew is 100% legal. however if the mod allowed pirated games to be played then i can see why it was deleted.

I just googled it. it seems its just a program to backup your own Wii games. i dont see why it should have been deleted. backing up games is not illegal

The specific version I wrote a thread about is on the front page of tehskeen and is posted under the date 07-09-2007 if you are interested.

The_Loose_Cannon said:
sorry bud

i think it was permanently deleted so i cant even see where you went wrong

No offence here to you L_C but cant ciper hear from the Mod who deleted the article?

Seems sort of sensible.

Last edited:
yeah i know rolex but i told him that i tried to look for the thread to even see where he could of went wrong :( the mod in question had permanently deleted the thread so there was no way for me to check back and maybe unlock it or even undelete it (if it was soft deleted for future reference not perma delete that its untraceable again)

no offense taken :)

eric- he was only banned for 3 months from another mod. hell be back then

Eric said:
well its illegal..hacking
Its not illegal.

The_Loose_Cannon said:
yeah i know rolex but i told him that i tried to look for the thread to even see where he could of went wrong :( the mod in question had permanently deleted the thread so there was no way for me to check back and maybe unlock it or even undelete it (if it was soft deleted for future reference not perma delete that its untraceable again)

no offense taken :)

eric- he was only banned for 3 months from another mod. hell be back then
Why was he banned? Was it because of that Harry Potter thread?

no i asked the mod who banned him and he said it was because of an illegal download site that he posted.

he got 3 months :(

i want to lift the ban but im SURE ill be stepping on some toes and i dont want to question authority even though i have a higher rank than this moderator. however through respect, i wont do it.

ive already lifted one members ban (kiwi) for his avatar from 30 days issued by stoukaph. felt that because of my avatar, his shouldnt of been taken off.

Back