Insomniacs assemble!!

It's a specialized linux OS that is specialized for gaming. It also lets you stream windows only games to it from another computer. I am excited to try it out on my HTPC. Playing my PC games in the living room would be awesome since it would use my gaming PC to handle the hard stuff.

How the hell does it work? And what exactly in the distortion world is it... ?

explain for us non-pc savvy folks plz

It's a specialized linux OS that is specialized for gaming. It also lets you stream windows only games to it from another computer. I am excited to try it out on my HTPC. Playing my PC games in the living room would be awesome since it would use my gaming PC to handle the hard stuff.
Sounds cool
I know my Bro would probably use it a lot

How the hell does it work? And what exactly in the distortion world is it... ?

explain for us non-pc savvy folks plz

I don't really know the specifics but it's core is linux. So it will require games be coded for linux for them to run natively. They are developing it to be as light weight as possible so you can get maximum performance out of your games. For example, say Windows uses 25% of your PC's power to just run (highballing it here). That leaves 75% to go towards your games. SteamOS is designed to only use, say 5%. Leaving 95% of your PC's power towards gaming.
As for what it is, it is an operating system like windows, OSX, etc. It is free so you don't have to worry about buying it and not liking it. It is designed from the ground up to accommodate gamers. Hopefully this helps kick linux game development into high gear.

So it's designed with efficiency in mind in order t' get the best outta one's... uh, system. On that note, what's all'a this nonsense 'bout it bein' designed for "living room machines"? I have zero knowledge of entertainment centers 'n all'a that jazz, as I've never held any interest in living rooms. Or living. How's that even work, re-purposing a "living room machine"?

It is meant to be used with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. Probably a better version of Steam's big picture mode. They are essentially targeting the console market by making PC gaming more simple like a console so you can just grab a controller, sit back on your couch, and play on your living room TV (or bedroom TV or anywhere you have the thing hooked up to. It wont be solely for those types of cenarios. For example, if you wanted to make SteamOS your main PC OS then you can use it just like linux with steam installed and the core OS will still be tweaked for gaming and whatnot and you can do all the normal stuff like browse the web, write papers and emails, etc.

The bad news is that this will only delay Episode 3 further. Unless it's going to be some sorta launch title for it.

Who am I kidding, that's the last thing they'd do.

It seems Awakening ain't arriving soon enough for me t' finish it before I get my fins on XY, so I s'pose I'll put off Awakening'n FE12 for another time... ... ...

In the mean time, I'll play Monster Haunter.

It is meant to be used with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. Probably a better version of Steam's big picture mode. They are essentially targeting the console market by making PC gaming more simple like a console so you can just grab a controller, sit back on your couch, and play on your living room TV (or bedroom TV or anywhere you have the thing hooked up to. It wont be solely for those types of cenarios. For example, if you wanted to make SteamOS your main PC OS then you can use it just like linux with steam installed and the core OS will still be tweaked for gaming and whatnot and you can do all the normal stuff like browse the web, write papers and emails, etc.

I s'pose what I was askin' about was this "Steam Box" thingamabob (WHAT THE **** THAT'S AN ACTUAL WORD?!). From what I gather, it'l be a Sony-Microsoft console that sacrifices said exclusives for the ability to use mods, plus it has typical PC capabilities.

... I'm interested.

The bad news is that this will only delay Episode 3 further. Unless it's going to be some sorta launch title for it.

Who am I kidding, that's the last thing they'd do.

(*Gabe rolls on stage. Half life... 3... conf.."*) etc.

I've finally flipped the proverbial table that the Dodge the Mods thread was played on. Are you bastards happy?

Back