Mario Strikers tips n tricks

I often have problems trying to outmaneuver other MSC online gamers, which is mainly reason why I have more of a losing streak in my online gaming statistics. Yeah, it does give me plenty of stress while trying to improve, but I'm choosing to ignore that. And of course, it can be hard for some people like me. :yesnod:

By reading these important tips for online gaming in Mario Strikers Charged, I just now realized that I have become a tackling and lobbing abuser, and I really need to play more fair, accurately, and possibly show some more improvement in my skills. It'll take me a while to become a better striker though, so bear with me. :D However, I actually don't do those 'old trick in the book' kind of tricks, such as the teleport trick with Dry Bones, because I'm just not one of those types. Should I though?

And I don't even think about disconnecting during my sudden losses, because that's just running away from my fear of losing and failing. I have urges about doing that method when I'm in a big losing streak in a game, but I never start that stupid method. I already knew all about that, including 'going to the can' before playing online. ;)

Rapidkirby said:
I often have problems trying to outmaneuver other MSC online gamers, which is mainly reason why I have more of a losing streak in my online gaming statistics. Yeah, it does give me plenty of stress while trying to improve, but I'm choosing to ignore that. And of course, it can be hard for some people like me. :yesnod:

By reading these important tips for online gaming in Mario Strikers Charged, I just now realized that I have become a tackling and lobbing abuser, and I really need to play more fair, accurately, and possibly show some more improvement in my skills. It'll take me a while to become a better striker though, so bear with me. :D However, I actually don't do those 'old trick in the book' kind of tricks, such as the teleport trick with Dry Bones, because I'm just not one of those types. Should I though?

And I don't even think about disconnecting during my sudden losses, because that's just running away from my fear of losing and failing. I have urges about doing that method when I'm in a big losing streak in a game, but I never start that stupid method. I already knew all about that, including 'going to the can' before playing online. ;)

You have to realize that these "old trick in the book" moves like Dry Bones' teleport technique are actually how the game designers intended Dry Bones and similar characters (Boo for example) to score. Not only do you need to start using these tricks if you hope to have a winning record, you need to master them. You must've noticed how Dry Bones, Boo, Toad, and similar Trick Scorers have poor shooting ability. That's not to say that when you've drawn Kritter into a favorable spot and Dry Bones seems like he might be able to make the shot that he shouldn't take it every once in a while, but Dry Bones' juke is really... not a juke. In fact, it's just terrible for juking opponents, and takes all the energy out of the ball.

Also I noticed you said that you are a "Tackling and Lobbing Abuser" and you have to keep in mind that slide tackling or hitting an opponent who is not in possession of the ball is more accurately described as fouling the opponent. This is how your enemy gets items, and the worse you foul him and lower his score is, the better items he will recieve, and will turn your unneccessary foul into a score for him by using the item you gave him to knock your guys out.
Sometimes it is neccessary to foul your enemy when he's set himself up with a really good shot, but as a general rule you need to avoid fouling him if at all possible
Have you noticed that when you frequently lob pass and even regular pass the ball, you get intercepted? Maybe you haven't but I get the feeling you have, and I suggest you try passing less, and instead charge the ball up by actually charging it before you pass. If you're passing frantically, you may be getting frustrated and you're not thinking clearly enough to see where and when you should be passing, and specifically which pass to use. Sometimes it's a better idea to pass on the ground than it is to lob it. Sometimes vice versa. Keep in mind the passing ability of the character you're passing with, and you'll find yourself setting up better shots and shutting down defenses.

You're not a disconner? You're one of the good ones then, don't discon and be proud of it! Take your ass whooping like a man and learn from it.

I read through the original post once more and I noticed this note here:
Wii-Fi said:
Lob Shot-(Not the same as a Lobbed Shot) hold Z and press B to shoot the ball high in the air.
*Not very useful, the goalie will always catch it, useful only if the goalie is stunned.

First of all Wii-Fi, I think you meant to say: 'Not the same as a Lobbed Pass' instead of 'Not the same as a Lobbed Shot'.
Also, the lob shot isn't useless. When the enemy is on strong offense in your half, particularly pressing hard near your quarter (between the midfield line and the goalie box) for a while, their Goalie may draw himself up a bit to just outside the goalie box to get a good handle on any strong shot the may suddenly come from midfield. Unfortunately for him this is a mistake when you're able to take control of the ball with eve a poor shooter, and you can sometimes fire off a lob shot that Kritter will fall backwards on himself trying to jump and catch, allowing it to roll on in. This isn't a consistent shot, but if you can keep them from scoring and draw Kritter out of his box, and lob shot will sometimes go in. My brother has used this technique on me several times.
Also, sometimes when Dry Bones has shocked the Goalie and is up close, his straight headbutt shot will merely bounce off of him, and it's prudent to use the lob shot in this situation.

PokeWii said:
Tip: When using Hammer Bros. or Birdos charge the shot a little if your opponent is playing the "cat and mouse game" then when he gets close enough Hammer/spin leaving you wide open for a shot.

Depending on the situation, PokeWii, you may be opening yourself up to fall victim to a technique that I like to call "Baiting the Juke".
When someone is on control of a Power or Offensive character, and you're closing in on them in open field, you can make like you're going to attempt the slide tackle, only to suddenly break left or right. They'll attempt to juke the slide tackle and knock you out, only you aren't sliding like they thought. Now they are at your mercy.
I like to use Power jukes in a situation where I gain control of the ball in tight coverage to shake nearby enemies, rather than an enemy that must close some distance in order to make the tackle.

BigORhyme said:
You have to realize that these "old trick in the book" moves like Dry Bones' teleport technique are actually how the game designers intended Dry Bones and similar characters (Boo for example) to score. Not only do you need to start using these tricks if you hope to have a winning record, you need to master them. You must've noticed how Dry Bones, Boo, Toad, and similar Trick Scorers have poor shooting ability. That's not to say that when you've drawn Kritter into a favorable spot and Dry Bones seems like he might be able to make the shot that he shouldn't take it every once in a while, but Dry Bones' juke is really... not a juke. In fact, it's just terrible for juking opponents, and takes all the energy out of the ball.

Also I noticed you said that you are a "Tackling and Lobbing Abuser" and you have to keep in mind that slide tackling or hitting an opponent who is not in possession of the ball is more accurately described as fouling the opponent. This is how your enemy gets items, and the worse you foul him and lower his score is, the better items he will recieve, and will turn your unneccessary foul into a score for him by using the item you gave him to knock your guys out.
Sometimes it is neccessary to foul your enemy when he's set himself up with a really good shot, but as a general rule you need to avoid fouling him if at all possible
Have you noticed that when you frequently lob pass and even regular pass the ball, you get intercepted? Maybe you haven't but I get the feeling you have, and I suggest you try passing less, and instead charge the ball up by actually charging it before you pass. If you're passing frantically, you may be getting frustrated and you're not thinking clearly enough to see where and when you should be passing, and specifically which pass to use. Sometimes it's a better idea to pass on the ground than it is to lob it. Sometimes vice versa. Keep in mind the passing ability of the character you're passing with, and you'll find yourself setting up better shots and shutting down defenses.

You're not a disconner? You're one of the good ones then, don't discon and be proud of it! Take your ass whooping like a man and learn from it.

After reading these important tips from you, I clearly understand why people try and/or successfully use those techniques often to get myself outmaneuvered. I should start practicing more of my MSC skills in the game's offline modes to improve them. =)

Also, I sometimes have a couple of problems concentrating and focusing about what's going on during an online match. This includes real-life as well. I think this is why I get lost while playing online at certain times. O.O; I'm still new at online gaming, by the way.

Yeah, I'm actually very proud of being a non-disconnecter. In one of my previous online battles, which was rather 'lobber versus lobber', I was disconnected when I won the first battle over a dramatic sudden death, but I didn't even lose points, because well...I wasn't the person who turned off my Nintendo Wii. :D

Many thanks for explaining the most important stuff about online gaming to me. :yesnod:

P.S. And when comes to that 'connection lost' screen, the music reminds me of those elevator songs in Saturday morning cartoons. XD Oh, in a couple of my previous online battles, my Wii remote starts acting a tad funny, even though I have good battery usage. I guess four-star connections can be deceiving at times.

Last edited:
Rapidkirby said:
I should start practicing more of my MSC skills in the game's offline modes to improve them. =)

That's exactly what you need to do. Set the computer at a level you can easily defeat, and practice chip-charging into teleport scores, intercepting passes, and passing highly charged balls from good passers to good shooters for the one-timer.

Rapidkirby said:
Also, I sometimes have a couple of problems concentrating and focusing about what's going on during an online match. This includes real-life as well.

Just take a breath and calm down. When you allow yourself to get frustrated you make silly "twitch passes" to people you never intended to pass to, and take pointless shots, and waste items.
Even if you're getting your ass kicked, just relax.

Rapidkirby said:
Many thanks for explaining the most important stuff about online gaming to me. :yesnod:

The most important thing to remember is these are all just my humble opinions using my limited knowledge... use them to develop your own devastating technique. The next most important thing to remember about online gaming is your enemy is no predictable computer!

Rapidkirby said:
P.S. And when comes to that 'connection lost' screen, the music reminds me of those elevator songs in Saturday morning cartoons. XD Oh, in a couple of my previous online battles, my Wii remote starts acting a tad funny, even though I have good battery usage. I guess four-star connections can be deceiving at times.

The elevator music is classic.
And on your Wiimote, does it get funny on you during non-online games too? This started happening to me. The end result was my accelerometer failed and I had to get my Wiimote replaced. Then again, I play the hell out of this game, so maybe I just shook the poor thing to death tongueing people with Yoshi. Warranties are awesome.

I'm actually told to relax several times from my mother, because there's not a single reason to be so tensed up over certain things. I really need to start doing that, as well with taking breaks from playing the game online and offline. =)

About my Wiimote, it doesn't do that when I'm playing offline, and the blue lights and the are still capable of working...for now. At times, I have problems with replays while playing against somebody online, because I see most people skip them. I don't know if it's related to this issue. O.O; Also, I'm using my new wireless sensor bar.

Last edited:
Well, dude, I can't tell you that you need to overcome ADD or whatever to play the game, but there's no mercy online or even with the computer for excuses. Being unable to concentrate on the game simply means you'll lose nine times out of ten. If you care about winning, focus.

BigORhyme said:
Well, dude, I can't tell you that you need to overcome ADD or whatever to play the game, but there's no mercy online or even with the computer for excuses. Being unable to concentrate on the game simply means you'll lose nine times out of ten. If you care about winning, focus.

Okay, I will focus in this awesome game, but I wasn't going for such lame excuses about my problems, enough to start a heated debate here. Therefore, I'm just here to seek somebody to help with my skills. That's all, no harm intended. =)

Dude man, I wasn't knocking you, you just have to realize that there are some 300 pound guys who Strike it up, eat Cheetos and pound Mountain Dew until their pimples explode on here. It's cut-throat man, and you have to grasp the fundamentals by their balls to compete with the unemployed.

Has anyone mentioned the trick "serve it up"? If noone has i'll explain it.

Edit: Actually, here is my video (i'm Luigi) with some pretty good tricks in it watch out for the tricks at 0:38, 2:17 , 2:46, the last two times i mentioned is serve it up. Or idk if you guys call it something different. Happened to be a great match as well. Us Aussies aren't so bad are we?

Last edited:
Okay, a few days ago, during my latest online battle in MSC's ranking mode, it seemed that I became better playing on the away side. I guess it just depends. =) I won the first part, three to one. =D

Sadly, I lost connection from the person during the second part, which made the online battle appear as if it suddenly stopped in place. O.O; At least I wasn't the one who didn't disconnect though. =)

EDIT: Oh, I know you weren't going after me, BigOrhyme. =) Again, thank you for your helpful tips. ;)

Last edited:
Back