some newbie questions (kinda long)

AvariceX

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2007
First of all, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and answer this :). I got MSC for my brother for xmas and had so much fun playing it at his place that I decided to pick up a copy for myself the nest day. I've been playing online mostly and have found a ton of things that don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Firstly, the lag is rediculous. I have a fairly stable internet connection that I use for gaming every day. First I played some doubles (or "Series with Guest") matches at my bro's place and they went smoothly. When I played the game at my place I was playing singles matches and 90% of them were slow as molasses, like 1 frame every 5 seconds; I remember setting up for a megastrike one game taking 2 full minutes just to line up the needle (of course I took full advantage of it and got 6 shots at orange speed, but then disconnected). Almost all of the singles games I play I disconnect from. But then I invited my brother over to my place and we played some online doubles matches, and they all went smooth as butter. Any reason why singles matches would lag but double matches would go smoothly on 2 different Wiis on 2 different internet connections and even at 2 different addresses?

I don't want to be picky, but for the rest of my questions please don't use any fancy soccer terms unless you explain what they mean. Here is a complete list of all soccer terms that I know:
1) Goal
2) Ball

To me a 'chip' is a snack made from potatoes and a 'Belgian Waffle' is breakfast in another country.

My goalie (Kritter) seems to be missing several clusters of brain cells, while my opponent's Kritter is invariably flawless (except for one game where I managed to score a goal with a pass from behind the mid-line). My goalie lets in dumb goals like that constantly though. One that comes to mind is a shot that was taken on me, Kritter could have just stood there and the ball would have hit him square in the chest, instead he dived out of the way and let the ball in (wasn't even a charged ball). Are there tricks my opponents could be using to screw up my goalie like that? He lets in so many goals, and yet the only goals I can ever score are megastrikes and auto-goals like Hammer Bros skill shot or the Boo Deke (which I'm no good at).

Which brings me to my next question. My Captain is either Daisy or Wario (if Daisy is taken). I use Daisy mainly because her hit has rediculous range, which combined with her speed makes her an amazing stealer. I use Wario just because he's a goof. My defence is Boo and wingers are Hammer Bros + Shy Guy, sometimes I switch Shy Guy out for Birdo. I've noticed with Hammer Bros his shot is generally an auto-goal if you're close enough but sometimes he shoots it way too high and hits the top bar, why is this? I've seen a lot of people online use the Boo deke to get goals but it rarely ever works for me. I try to Deke through goalie and he still comes up and hits me even while invisible/teleporting. The only times the ball goes in are when Boo drops the ball from getting hit and it happens to roll in the net. But I've seen people go right through the goalie and shoot from behind him, what are they doing that I'm not? Dry Bones is the same way for me. Daisy's deke is similar but I've never bothered trying to use it for a goal because it seems way too slow.

How does that crazy slo-mo shot work? Like I see my opponent passing a white ball and then unleashing a super-fast shot at my net, but have no idea how to set that up myself.

Next isn't so much a question about how to something, but rather how to prevent my opponent from doing this crazy strategy. I've never been beaten so badly as I was by this DK, he had 2 Toads as wings and either Dry Bones or Koopa Troopa as defence (don't remember, the Toads did all the work). This was a doubles match, one of their players basically used DK most of the game to deny us the ball while the other one passed between the Toads working his way to our goal, used Toad's deke to jump right over Kritter and shoot the ball in. Any time a white ball went to DK it was an instant goal, which makes sense with his max shooting ability. What doesn't make sense is that I use hammer bros and sometimes Wario who both have max shooting ability as well and I never get a goal with either of them unless it's a megastrike or skillshot; regular shots just don't go in. I think the score in that series finished at 0-17 first game, 0-11 second game. Any good way to counter this crazy DK / Toad strategy?

Also I've noticed that the only captains who even seem to exist in online play are DK, Diddy, and Bowser Jr. Everyone else pops up now and then, but not even 1/10th as common as those 3.

Anyway, thanks for reading all this, I know it's long, sorry about that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is long but I'll do my best to answer everything. Also, I'm a bit drunk, so bear with me.

First of all, your brother is a good luck charm. If your two player matches are fine, and your single player matches aren't, then it's just luck. You get connected to people with poor connections. All luck from what it sounds like.

The goalie isn't 100% all the time, and he is sort of a retard. If he's diving out of the way of goals and they're still going in, it's just luck (or wind if you're on Thunder Island.) Now, if the goalie is swatting at the ball, or doesn't even make an attempt at the ball, that's usually a trick shot.

Thirdly, with two toads and a DK just flipping over you, the best thing to do is wail on the toads, make him prove to you he can score some other way. Knock them into the fence every chance you get, don't worry about his items. Normally, when you take away a dekeing teams strategy, they panic and then you can play your game.

Lastly, Daisy is way more popular than Bowser Jr. And that's because they're 9/10 the best captains. Daisy's special is practically a free goal, Diddy's Red Card is cheating, and DK is the best out of the power shooters because of his special but, more importantly his deke (it's a bit shorter recovery wise than Bowser's and Petey's.)

ok, im new to the game too. its a very hard game to get into. my shots never go in unless they are megastrikes, and thats by luck cuz the computer player usually misses 1 or 2 shots. second, you all are talking "hoboponese" language with this "deke", "winger", "defense" stuff. fill me in on the lingo.

another problem i notice is that when i try to use a skillshot, sometimes it will work and sometimes the character will just kick the ball at the goalie. is there any reasoning of why it works sometimes? i can use hammer bros. and get up by the net and he will throw hammers and i make a shot, but then next time i do it, he wont throw the hammers.

and whats an easy way to charge up your ball to white? i try to pass back and forth, but that seems to waste time, plus it gives them a chance to steal the ball from me more often.

Please help me out.

ravelbone said:
ok, im new to the game too. its a very hard game to get into. my shots never go in unless they are megastrikes, and thats by luck cuz the computer player usually misses 1 or 2 shots. second, you all are talking "hoboponese" language with this "deke", "winger", "defense" stuff. fill me in on the lingo.

While I did say the only soccer terms I knew were 'Goal' and 'Ball' but that was a little (but not much) exaggerated. Deke is basically another word for 'dodge' or 'deny', I don't know what other word to use for it really. When you see Boo holding the ball and teleporting with it, or Hammer bros jumping in the air with the ball and smashing the ground below them with a giant hammer; those are dekes. For winger and defense, when you're selecting your sidekicks take a look at the picture of the field. See how the sidekicks are in a triangle? The one in the back at the middle is your defenseman, the 2 lined up above/below your captain are your wingers. The right winger is the one to your captain's right side and the left winger to the captain's left side. That's about all I know as far as the lingo. Oh and, 'chipping' is kicking the ball a little bit ahead of your character (press Z to do it).

another problem i notice is that when i try to use a skillshot, sometimes it will work and sometimes the character will just kick the ball at the goalie. is there any reasoning of why it works sometimes? i can use hammer bros. and get up by the net and he will throw hammers and i make a shot, but then next time i do it, he wont throw the hammers.

If you want to do a skillshot just hold B until you get it. The skillshot happens automatically at max charge, but you have to be on your opponent's side of the field to do it. If you don't want to do a skillshot just let go of B early.

and whats an easy way to charge up your ball to white? i try to pass back and forth, but that seems to waste time, plus it gives them a chance to steal the ball from me more often.

Passing, chipping, and I think shooting (if you wind up the shot) all charge the ball, but passing is pretty much the easiest way. Chipping is good if you're on a breakaway (no one else is near you to steal the ball) and you have no open teammates to pass to.

Take this with a grain of salt though, after all I'm the newbie who started this thread :p

Back