New Dead Space Wii Details(Disappointing)

You've gotta be kidding me

What do you think Resident Evil 4 is? It's the same idea as Dead Space..
It doesn't matter how you word it
3rd Person shooter with Survival Horror elements
Survival Horror game with 3rd Person shooter elements

It's a '3rd Person Action / Adventure'
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/850/850402.html

Where's the camera?
Over the shoulder - Which is a 3rd person perspective

Dead Space is a 3rd Person Shooter.

Dead Space has an achievement for beating the entire game with the default gun. Dead Space has multiple achievements for getting so many kills with each specific gun in the game.

Next person to say "Resident Evil: UC is an On The Rails Shooter" instead of saying it's a "Survival Horror game"
RE:UC is an On Rails Shooter (the mode of play), but it's also a survival horror game (the genre).

There's correcting people, and there's just being an ass. Like the example above, you're both.

Besides, "Third Person Action/Adventure is an amazingly broad term. Strictly speaking it could be applied to Mario 64 (there is action, if only in the literal sense of movement), Zelda and many others. Doesn't mean they're not also something else (like RPG or platformer or survival horror).

ResEvilWii said:
WHAT?!?!?! You all are complaing that we're getting a ground-up Wii exclusive? You would rather have a port becasue it has better graphics? No. Resdient Evil 4 graphics > Dead Rising Wii graphics. You can't just port over graphics from a superior system to a inferior system. It doesn't work that way. It's more complex than that. Exclusive from the ground up is way better.

Plus we get co-op!!

The only disappointment I see is the "guided and cinematic camera" even though they say "Extraction is not your typical Rail Shooter".
Personally I'm psyched for it.

Although I have to say, I think the graphics porting would work fairly well, if only they were to do it properly. I think half the reason why Dead Rising Wii (which chances are, I'll still buy) is not looking too well, is because it's coming from the Resi Evil 4 engine. Downgrading graphics and engine is probably less hassle than taking an existing game and cramming it into an engine it wasn't originally designed for.

But what do I know. I'm not developer (though that would be an awesome job).

Last edited by a moderator:
WHAT?!?!?! You all are complaing that we're getting a ground-up Wii exclusive? You would rather have a port becasue it has better graphics? No. Resdient Evil 4 graphics > Dead Rising Wii graphics. You can't just port over graphics from a superior system to a inferior system. It doesn't work that way. It's more complex than that. Exclusive from the ground up is way better.

Plus we get co-op!!

The only disappointment I see is the "guided and cinematic camera" even though they say "Extraction is not your typical Rail Shooter".

Have you read my post ,or Caliko's posts at all? If you did you obviously are missing our point.

Its not the fact that we're complaining about wii ground exclusive. I'm glad they didnt port ,and went with an exclusive story.

My problem is the direction they went in for the gameplay. The on rails market on Wii is starting to become over saturated. Theres more on rails shooters than there are action adventure shooters.

Why not go where there is less competion ,and more chance for success.

Hell they could of even went straight First Person Shooter considering that other than Red Steel, Far Cry, and Metroid there aren't any Adventure FPS's that aren't set in World War 2.

This isnt to say this wont be a good game it could end up being fantastic ,but will it sell well? who knows considering on rails is kind of niche market itself only brought back to life by the Wiimote.

There would of been more chance for success ,and it would of pleased more of the "core" gamers if they would of went 3rd person, or first person shooter route.

When I heard Dead Space was coming, I thought ehhh.
Now I'm glad I didn't hype myself up.

RE:UC is an On Rails Shooter (the mode of play), but it's also a survival horror game (the genre).

There's correcting people, and there's just being an ass. Like the example above, you're both.

Well you're 2/3rds correct.
Resident Evil: UC is partially an 'On Rails Shooter' - as Dead Space is mostly a '3rd-Person Shooter'
Which is what I was pointing out..

Also you're right, I successfully corrected the individual.
However, you quoted me incorrectly..
This is really what I said:
-

It's both

How do you defend yourself in both games?
Guns
Where's the camera?

Dead Space has an achievement for beating the entire game with the default gun. Dead Space has multiple achievements for getting so many kills with each specific gun in the game.

-

That's not being an ass though, this is:

You got it wrong, it's not even a shooter, so if that was what you were expecting... :frown2: do more research on games in the future before buying.

Overall, you had a fairly accurate post tho.

Last edited:

They are 2 different things.

A 3rd person shooter with survival horror elements means that the shooter comes first, and the survival horror is the after-add.

A survival horror with 3rd person shooter means the opposite.

It's like saying a RPG with puzzler elements is the same as a puzzler with RPG elements, then look at, say, Zelda and Puzzle Quest respectively.

They are 2 different things.

A 3rd person shooter with survival horror elements means that the shooter comes first, and the survival horror is the after-add.

A survival horror with 3rd person shooter means the opposite.

It's like saying a RPG with puzzler elements is the same as a puzzler with RPG elements, then look at, say, Zelda and Puzzle Quest respectively.

Example:
Condemned 2: Bloodshot is a Survival Horror game with shooting elements.
Condemned 2 however has many different gameplay elements, but it's always Survival Horror.
Only in later levels do you actually use guns, and ammo is rare / far in between.

Dead Space is a 3rd Person shooter with Survival Horror elements.
One may say the game isn't even scary; while one couldn't deny the fact that you're always defending yourself with a gun.
I explained how Dead Space is fittingly a 3rd Person Shooter the entire game.

You and I disagree on which description is more dominate..
I provided a link to IGN simply calling it a '3rd Person Action / Adventure'
The whole argument is irrelevant because Dead Space is a 3rd Person shooter
in a Survival Horror setting. So it's both, just like Resident Evil 4.
The Mode of Gameplay is definitely 3rd Person shooter, while the genre could easily be '3rd Person shooter' or 'Survival Horror'.. That's why IGN's description is perfect.

Last edited:
Well you're 2/3rds correct.
Resident Evil: UC is partially an 'On Rails Shooter' - as Dead Space is mostly a '3rd-Person Shooter'
Which is what I was pointing out..

Also you're right, I successfully corrected the individual.
However, you quoted me incorrectly..
This is really what I said:
-

It's both

How do you defend yourself in both games?
Guns
Where's the camera?

-

That's not being an ass though, this is:

Overall, you had a fairly accurate post tho.
When editing posts, always remember: what people have said prior to editing the post still stands.

The term Moron was in brackets next to quite a few of your sentences.
The mods would have to see something rule-breaking (or at least bending) for a post like that to be deleted, hence why you needed to correct me through creating another post, rather than editing the post before.

If you look at the very bottom of my original post, it says "edited by Syntax", meaning it was edited due to your post being deleted.

Oh, and not that you would believe me, but I used the quotation button for quoting you, and I didn't edit any of your writing. I did not misquote you in any way.

All that is besides the point, however. Considering about a week ago (can't remember the exact day or time it was first announced), we didn't even know it was coming to the Wii, I don't think people should be that disappointed.

At best, it'll be a game that will be a good game. At worst, it'll be just another game sitting on the shelf.

Example:
Condemned 2: Bloodshot is a Survival Horror game with shooting elements.
Condemned 2 however has many different gameplay elements, but it's always Survival Horror. Only in later levels do you actually use guns, and ammo is rare / far in between.

Dead Space is a 3rd Person shooter with Survival Horror elements.
One may say the game isn't even scary; while one couldn't deny the fact that you're always defending yourself with a gun.
I explained how Dead Space is fittingly a 3rd Person Shooter the entire game.
By that logic, Bioshock would be a Steampunk game with 1st Person Shooter elements, since not all of the game is FPS, but also a puzzle game (hacking mini-game), but it's always in a Steampunk theme...

Lets see what IGN says about it: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/793/793105.html
Genre: First-Person Shooter

I think FPS and TPS are just used because it's seen as a type of game that sells. Especially with genre's influencing each other, such as Resident Evil 4's minor RPG elements (upgrading weaponry), it can be hard discerning how we should categorise games: Genre or mode of play. Mode of play is easy, but doesn't tell us everything, while genre is generally a universal throughout the game. I know which I'd categorise by...

Sorry if I seem aggressive, I simply don't like people editing what has come before in an effort to try to prove me wrong in some way about what they previously said. If you're right, you shouldn't need to do that. If you're wrong, then at least have the balls to admit it, apologise and move on.

Last edited:

Plus we get co-op!!

The former we're not complaining about. I was indeed hoping for a unique story.

See the bolded part I quoted?? Yeah exactly, that's what we're all(and apparently you too) are disappointed about.

Bioshock would be a Steampunk game with 1st Person Shooter elements, since not all of the game is FPS, but also a puzzle game (hacking mini-game), but it's always in a Steampunk theme...
Lets see what IGN says about it: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/793/793105.html

:lol: Now Bioshock's a puzzle game? Is Perfect Dark Zero a puzzle game because of her lock-pick / demolition "Mini Games" LOL

You're right though, Bioshock definitely isn't a FPS and IGN knows that - I don't think anyone would say it is. There are way too many methods of defense, and you're dealing with a lot of Survival Horror elements without having a gun.

That was just kind of a random, irrelevant example as that backs up my idea that Condemned 2 also falls into a vague category.
While Dead Space doesn't, because it's undeniably a 3rd Person Shooter.
I'm not gonna reiterate my explanation for that.

I didn't edit my post - You already know what happened with that..
I have no idea how you and I started this back and forth stuff
but I'm done with it :thumbsup:

-

My Final Note:
The fact that Dead Space: Extraction will have online Co-Op sets it apart from other games in the genre. Since it's keeping the dismemberment concept, I think it'll be pretty good. Having a slightly cheaper price tag on the Wii then it did when it came out for the 360, will also make it appealing to more people. The over the shoulder shooter concept may of been a bit stale for hardcore gamers, while this new breath of fresh air may turn out to be awesome.

If Dead Space wasn't considered an in-depth shooter throughout the entire original game, they couldn't of made it into an 'On The Rails' shooter. :rolleyes:

I just read to the part where it said it'll be a rail shooter and quit. It was sounding good till then.

:lol: Now Bioshock's a puzzle game? Is Perfect Dark Zero a puzzle game because of her lock-pick / demolition "Mini Games" LOL
That's the logic you were using. A game being described by what it uses most. I was also saying that it can be considered to not be completely a FPS since it has puzzle elements.

You're right though, Bioshock definitely isn't a FPS and IGN knows that - I don't think anyone would say it is. There are way too many methods of defense, and you're dealing with a lot of Survival Horror elements without having a gun.

That was just kind of a random, irrelevant example as that backs up my idea that Condemned 2 also falls into a vague category.
While Dead Space doesn't, because it's undeniably a 3rd Person Shooter.
I'm not gonna reiterate my explanation for that.
Nobody is asking you to reiterate. All we're asking is that you consider the semantics of categorising FPS/Survival Horror etc... null and void, since in the end, genres and mode of play are generally mixing and organic.

I didn't edit my post - You already know what happened with that..
I have no idea how you and I started this back and forth stuff
but I'm done with it :thumbsup:
Fair enough.

-

My Final Note:
The fact that Dead Space: Extraction will have online Co-Op sets it apart from other games in the genre.
I still see RE:UC as a survival horror, so I think it's fair to say it'll be in a similar vein to that. Although there will be obvious differences. Survival Horror in terms of genre. On-Rails Shooter in mode of play...

Since it's keeping the dismemberment concept, I think it'll be pretty good. Having a slightly cheaper price tag on the Wii then it did when it came out for the 360, will also make it appealing to more people. The over the shoulder shooter concept may of been a bit stale for hardcore gamers, while this new breath of fresh air may turn out to be awesome.
*crosses fingers*

If Dead Space wasn't considered an in-depth shooter throughout the entire original game, they couldn't of made it into an 'On The Rails' shooter. :rolleyes:
I think you could probably make an 'on-rails shooter' out of anything (well, anything which you can shoot or throw projectiles on). The problem wouldn't be the format, it would be 'would it appeal and will it sell'? I mean, look at Link's Crossbow Training...

I just read to the part where it said it'll be a rail shooter and quit. It was sounding good till then.

Haha sorry bro but that was my intention...

While I was expecting (and looking forward to) a new third person adventure.

I'm not really disappointed that it's an on-rails shooter. I loved RE:UC and House of the Dead Overkill.

Hopefully it won't become a trend though. I feel the Wii would do well in third person shooters, as Resi Evil 4 has proved, and I don't want my gaming sessions to be hampered with lack of a Wii controller.

*sarcasm*This just announced!! Street Fighter IV is coming to the Wii!!! It's gonna be an on-rails fighter where you shake the Wiimote to punch and shake the nunchuck to kick!!! Watch ouT!! Here comes Ryu shake the Wiimote!! SHAKE THE WIIIMOTE!!! *sarcasm*

*sarcasm*This just announced!! Street Fighter IV is coming to the Wii!!! It's gonna be an on-rails fighter where you shake the Wiimote to punch and shake the nunchuck to kick!!! Watch ouT!! Here comes Ryu shake the Wiimote!! SHAKE THE WIIIMOTE!!! *sarcasm*
You do realise I was talking about Third Person Shooters right? Not all games...

Oh, and for the record, it's [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]. "*word*" denotes an action, not a way of saying things. For example, *facepalm*.

Back