New MGS4 trailer only on PSN

does metal gear have anything to do with the mgs series? i dont think so... never played the game. so whats with the solid, liquid, naked, and big boss thing. can someone explain.

gingerkid said:
does metal gear have anything to do with the mgs series? i dont think so... never played the game. so whats with the solid, liquid, naked, and big boss thing. can someone explain.
solid snake is the main character, liquid is his brother, naked snake is big boss before he became big boss
and yes Metal gear solid for Playstation is the direct sequel to Metal Gear 2

oh okay so, u play as solid snake. i remember liquid, hes the villain correct? and naked snake u play as in 3?... right? but i dont remember big boss at all, the name is familier. can someone like state a scene thats memorable that he was in. also that was revolver ocelot in that trailer but he says take out liquid.

I didnt want to comment on those, mainly 2 cause that one was nearly impossible.

But yea, Big Boss, Outer Heaven, all the good stuff. One big VR mission... MGS2 really screwed with my head.

Forgot about Portable Ops.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Main article: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Set in 1964 at the height of the Cold War, this game follows Naked Snake - Later known as "Big Boss" - into the Soviet jungle to recover a scientist who has been working on a new type of tank that can fire a nuclear missile. It is heavily influenced by the style of James Bond movies, from the love interests to the classic visual style of the opening credits.

Snake Eater provides closure to many hanging plot points raised in other MGS titles. For example, the role of The Philosophers in the series' narrative is explained, as well as details of Big Boss's character arc. The game made several references to actual events in the series' past, and provided a background to the mysterious Revolver Ocelot, first introduced in Metal Gear Solid.

[edit] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Main article: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

In 1970, six years after Operation: Snake Eater, features Naked Snake (known as Big Boss) now that he has split away from the FOX unit. Para-Medic informs Big Boss that his former FOX unit comrades have started a revolt, and that Big Boss himself is now being charged with treason. Snake will have to fight his way through a number of heavily guarded compounds and take out a number of renegade FOX agents and recruit a group of soldiers to assist him which will then form a precursor to the FOXHOUND organization. The commander of FOX, Gene, is funding Army's Heaven, a nation for soldiers. Following the demise of FOX and the founding of FOXHOUND, Snake receives the funds for Army's Heaven.

[edit] Metal Gear

Main article: Metal Gear (video game)

In 1995, 200 km north of Galzburg, the South African nation of Outer Heaven is held by a mysterious mercenary. Word had gotten out to the western world that deep within the Outer Heaven stronghold, that a weapon of mass destruction was being constructed. Government officials orders the high-tech Special Forces squad, FOXHOUND, to infiltrate the fortress, assess the situation and neutralize the threat. Known as operation "Intrude N312," FOXHOUND operative Gray Fox infiltrated the Outer Heaven stronghold. Days later, contact with Gray Fox is lost. His last transmission reads, "METAL GEAR..."

Another operative, the rookie Solid Snake, is ordered by FOXHOUND leader Big Boss to find the missing operative Gray Fox and carry out his mission. Upon infiltrating Outer Heaven, Snake discovers the advanced nuclear weapon system Metal Gear and learns from its imprisoned creator how to destroy it. Snake succeeds after a series of grueling battles with the mercenary forces which defend Outer Heaven and the sophisticated electronic defences surrounding Metal Gear itself. It is then that he meets the man who rules Outer Heaven: FOXHOUND's own commander, Big Boss. Big Boss activates the destruct sequence for the fortress, but is defeated by Snake, who escapes as the base crumbles behind him.

[edit] Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Main article: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

By 1999 the Cold War had thawed, and nuclear disarmament by the major world powers promised a bright beginning to the 21st century. Despite this, all was not well in the world. A series of shocks to the oil market spurred the development of new high-tech energy sources, including nuclear fusion power. However, most vehicles still relied on oil for power. A breakthrough solution is presented in Prague by Czech scientist Dr. Kio Marv: a type of algae which can produce petroleum-grade hydrocarbons. However, somewhere between the (presently known as) Czech Republic and the United States, he is kidnapped by forces belonging to the heavily fortified nation of "Zanzibar Land."

Solid Snake is sent in to rescue the scientist. He discovers that the nation's leaders plan to hold the world hostage through both the oil supply (now tied inexorably to Dr. Marv's research) and nuclear weapons (through a new form of Metal Gear). The man in the seat of power in Zanzibar Land is none other than Big Boss, and his newest lieutenant is Snake's old comrade Gray Fox (who supposedly dies in a fistfight in a mined room). While Snake succeeds in destroying Metal Gear and bringing down Big Boss, he finds the blood of his best friend on his hands. Upon completing the mission, Snake leaves the military and disappears into the Alaskan wilderness to seek isolation in solitude.

[edit] Metal Gear Solid

Main article: Metal Gear Solid

Sometime in February 2005, Solid Snake is forcefully called out of retirement by his old commanding officer Roy Campbell and given a new mission. Apparently, the Special Forces unit FOXHOUND and the Next Generation Special Force were conducting a training exercise on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago when the unit suddenly revolted against the U.S. government. Their demands include the remains of the legendary mercenary Big Boss, and they threaten a nuclear strike within twenty-four hours if their demands are not met. Snake is given two objectives: first, to infiltrate the nuclear weapons disposal facility and rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and Kenneth Baker, the President of ArmsTech. Secondly, he must stop the terrorists from launching a nuclear strike. Secretly, this is also to prevent FOXHOUND from making away with the first (known) American Government backed Metal Gear but eventually Snake uncovers this.

Solid Snake defeats or otherwise neutralizes most of FOXHOUND and the other terrorists in battle, while Decoy Octopus and Baker die from a specially engineered assassination virus called 'FOXDIE', which may have also been responsible for eventually killing Liquid Snake (Solid Snake was the carrier of the virus, and may also be one of its targets, according to Naomi Hunter, who was in charge of the FOXDIE aspect of the operation). Snake also learns of his origins as a genetic son of Big Boss and also as a genetic twin of Liquid Snake. Solid Snake, Meryl Silverburgh, and Dr. Hal Emmerich are officially recorded as dead after the events on Shadow Moses Island; the recorded outcome of the only other physical survivor, Revolver Ocelot, is most likely unchanged due to his "Top Secret" status.

[edit] Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Main article: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

[edit] Tanker Chapter

Metal Gear Solid 2 opens on the George Washington Bridge in New York City, in 2007, two years after the events of Metal Gear Solid. Solid Snake, now a member of the NGO Philanthropy, is investigating the development of a new Metal Gear, consistently described only as having been designed to "wipe the floor with all the other models." Snake's mission (planned by Snake and Otacon) is to take pictures of the new Metal Gear prototype and release them to the media, hopefully resulting in anti-Metal Gear sentiments from the public. The new Metal Gear model is being transported for testing by the U.S. Marines following the proliferation of Metal Gear REX's blueprints. Shortly after Snake's arrival to the aptly named oil tanker "Discovery," a large group of Russian terrorists hijack the ship. These troops are later identified to be under the command of Sergei Gurlukovich, the GRU commander to whom Liquid Snake was scheduled to sell the plans for Metal Gear REX after the events of Metal Gear Solid. After sneaking up to the bridge of the ship, Snake must fight off Olga Gurlukovich, daughter of Sergei. After achieving victory, Solid Snake steals his way down to the holds in order to record pictures of the new Metal Gear. However, he finds that the hijacking troops have intentionally not attempted to take over the holds yet - with good reason. The holds are filled with armed Marines, and attacking would result in a huge fire-fight. The Metal Gear in question is found out to be Metal Gear RAY, an amphibious prototype. The mission rapidly goes from bad to worse as Revolver Ocelot appears in the holds, murders Sergei Gurlukovich, triggers bombs that had been planted all over the tanker, thus sinking it, and steals Metal Gear RAY. His words are that he is "taking it back," for the Patriots.

Incidentally, Revolver Ocelot is sporting a new right arm after his heated conflict with Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid; it is revealed that the arm is that of the late Liquid Snake when the arm (which seems to have Liquid's personality contained in it) takes over Ocelot's mind just as he is getting in to Metal Gear Ray.

[edit] Plant Chapter

The player finds himself in control of Raiden, supposedly operating under FOXHOUND two years after the Tanker Chapter, April 29, 2009. His mission is revealed to be to rescue the U.S. President and other hostages from the "Big Shell" facility off the shoreline of New York City from the anti-terrorist group Dead Cell, who are calling themselves the "Sons of Liberty" and claiming to be led by Solid Snake. Raiden enters through an oil fence while SEAL Team 10 enters by air as a distraction from Raiden's infiltration. During Raiden's mission he meets with the self-proclaimed Lt. Junior Grade Iroquois Pliskin as well as Peter Stillman, a bomb disposal expert that was brought in with the SEALs; and a cyborg ninja imitating Gray Fox's ninja persona but calling himself Mr. X.

It is revealed that the Solid Snake leading Dead Cell is in fact Solidus Snake, a third clone from Big Boss, the cyborg ninja is Olga Gurlukovich, and that Iroquois Pliskin is the real Solid Snake in disguise. It is later revealed that the Big Shell (and the sinking of the oil tanker) was merely a cover-up for the development of "Arsenal Gear", an amphibious mobile fortress defended by a fleet of mass-produced, unmanned variants of Metal Gear RAY as well as a large payload of missiles. Through meeting with Emma Emmerich (Otacon's step-sister), Raiden discovers that Arsenal Gear was secretly built as part of a conspiracy by the Illuminati-like "Patriots" to further their control over the public interests. It carries a neural network of supercomputers facilitated by several AIs, two of which are named "GW" and "JFK", which is designed to monitor, block, and tamper with Internet communications, in order to further the totalitarian agenda of "The Patriots." By the end of Metal Gear Solid 2, all of the members of Dead Cell except for Vamp, as well as several characters introduced throughout the story, are dead and Liquid Snake's personality seems to have completely assumed control over Ocelot. Few of the questions raised by the original Metal Gear Solid are answered, and Sons of Liberty brings up even more. The game ends on April 30, 2009.

[edit] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Main article: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Using the "No place to hide" motto and the theme of "Sense", Guns of the Patriots was set to be produced by Kenichiro Imaizumi, with series creator Hideo Kojima co-directing the game with Shuyo Murata. It is being developed by Kojima Productions (a newly-formed subsidiary of Konami) for the PlayStation 3. The game is set five years after the events of Sons of Liberty.

i dont get the whole metal gear thing tho, there like mechs right? but they can like destroy the world omg this story is so weird i just noticed haha i remember playing 1 and 2 when i was 12 and i was like okay im a spy and i need to do stuff but when i played 3 a few years ago i noticed that there is alot to this story. i need to go through this story again and like take notes or something lol

GamerCon said:
I didnt want to comment on those, mainly 2 cause that one was nearly impossible.

But yea, Big Boss, Outer Heaven, all the good stuff. One big VR mission... MGS2 really screwed with my head.
yeah i loved MGS2, had it for xbox, played it 3 times through just cause the story was so good lol

So will I be able to understand the game if I haven't played the others? I've only played one of them and I only played it for about an hour, so I don't know the story line, but after seeing the trailer and stuff I think I might try this one out. I'm definitely not going to play through all the old ones though...

Read the back storys or you will be completely lost.

i suggest playing the games. at first i thought mgs sucked but then you dig into the story. also the bosses in mgs 1 kick ass.

paintba||er said:
So will I be able to understand the game if I haven't played the others? I've only played one of them and I only played it for about an hour, so I don't know the story line, but after seeing the trailer and stuff I think I might try this one out. I'm definitely not going to play through all the old ones though...
i suggest playing at least MGS 1 & 2, youll enjoy them...Remote controlled rockets rule!

Actually, MGS2 is pretty fun. If you haven't played any but played like, Hitman or Splinter Cell, MG is so much better. They copied and failed at tactical, espionage, action.

yeah mgs is top notch i suggest all of them except maybe not 3, 3 was kinda the only one i didnt like. 1 and 2 were amazing.

Back