News Channel - Unable to download latest...

Alluro

WiiChat Member
Jun 17, 2007
I tried accessing the wii news channel this morning and I keep getting an "unable to download latest information" error message and have to return the main menu. I have wii connect24 turned on and I can surf the net fine with the opera browser and get the weather updates through the wii forecast channel. Anyone have any idea why i can't get the news channel to work?

Try and access the News Channel at a different time and see if this clears the problem. If not, then I would advice that you contact Nintendo.

The same problem keeps happening to me with the Forecast channel. It always works for me if I wait a while.

News Channel - Unable to download latest

I have exactly the same problem and was not able to fix it even after calling Nintendo for support. Please post a message if you figure it out and i will do the same.

It took extreme measures but this is how I did it per the advice of someone on another forum:

1. Turn on Wii.
2. Back up your game saves to SD card.
3. Turn off Wiiconnect24 in your settings.
4. Turn off Wii. Unplug Wii.
5. Take out battery in back of system.
6. Plug in Wii and turn on system.
7. Make sure Wiiconnect24 is still off and format Wii memory.
8. With battery still out, turn system back on and setup all your settings.
9. Turn on Wiiconnect24 and check to make sure your news channel and forecast channel will again update and run as normal. Don’t forget you will have to set up your internet connection and time and date settings again.
10. Turn off Wii. DO NOT UNPLUG.
11. Reinstall battery.
12. That should get the updating back to normal.

I had that problem with Weather and News channels (but not others) until I change the MTU to 1500. Try to see if it solves your problem. Basically, this helps to reduce packet loss which causes failure in updating weather and news channel.

I have the same problem, but with the Forecast Channel. It says "Unable to download updates."
I can download from the news no problem. Just the last 3 days, no weather. Any ideas?

Last edited:
freakpizzaboy said:
who cares about wii news? use the browser and go to cnn.com or something

seriously, I hate wii news, its so useless

lol yea i didnt know anyone used this channell

Alluro said:
It took extreme measures but this is how I did it per the advice of someone on another forum:

1. Turn on Wii.
2. Back up your game saves to SD card.
3. Turn off Wiiconnect24 in your settings.
4. Turn off Wii. Unplug Wii.
5. Take out battery in back of system.
6. Plug in Wii and turn on system.
7. Make sure Wiiconnect24 is still off and format Wii memory.
8. With battery still out, turn system back on and setup all your settings.
9. Turn on Wiiconnect24 and check to make sure your news channel and forecast channel will again update and run as normal. Don’t forget you will have to set up your internet connection and time and date settings again.
10. Turn off Wii. DO NOT UNPLUG.
11. Reinstall battery.
12. That should get the updating back to normal.

Yah, that doesn't work chief.
Nintendo needs to fess up and admit there is a problem and get a fix out, instead of ignoring it.

bodean said:
Don't have that channel
you nkeed a update of you frim were.

But there is no need for the **** news chanle. go on cnn.com or somthing. dont format your wii

Back